Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, our Home Office celebrates World Hajib Day ??

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 15:03:06

WTF?
Let's not forget the young girl beaten to death in Iran for not seeing the benefits of the Hijab.

Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 15:05:43

Posing the question, “Why do some Muslim women wear a Hijab and others don’t?” The network answered: “It’s a personal choice and being a Muslim means constantly striving to strengthen your faith (Iman). Different women are at different stages of their spiritual journey.”

Maryam Namazie, a British-Iranian human rights activist, said the internal message was disconcerting, promoting Islamic rather than civic values.

eazybee Sat 10-Feb-24 15:15:57

And the young woman who received 72 lashes across her back for refusing to wear the hijab, even while she was beaten.

Nicenanny3 Sat 10-Feb-24 15:33:33

Why doesn't this surprise me they celebrate everything that's alien to Britain.

Aveline Sat 10-Feb-24 15:37:48

A Muslim woman once told me that she despises women who cover up. She said it's a hangover from living in the desert.

Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 15:39:47

A doctor friend of mine refuses to wear one. Her more enlightened father, who actively encouraged her education, said it was ‘nowhere in the Koran. It’s about control by men over women. Just dress modestly’ he told her.

Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 15:41:49

Should clarify.
It’s the Home Office Islamist Network. (HOIN).
Who even knew such a subset existed?
Me neither.

Kandinsky Sat 10-Feb-24 15:42:02

Why doesn't this surprise me they celebrate everything that's alien to Britain

Wait till Labour get in. It will get 100x worse.

VioletSky Sat 10-Feb-24 15:51:51

Women should get to wear what they want

If a woman chooses to wear it, respect her choice

If a woman chooses not to, respect her choice

It's simple

Chestnut Sat 10-Feb-24 15:59:57

VioletSky

Women should get to wear what they want

If a woman chooses to wear it, respect her choice

If a woman chooses not to, respect her choice

It's simple

But is it her choice? Some choices are not what they seem, they are the result of lessons taught by parents since nursery. If you believe that is what you must do then you do it. Then it is no longer a choice, it's a compulsion.

And you have seen what happens to those who choose not to 'make that choice'. Punishment.

Iam64 Sat 10-Feb-24 16:01:10

Evidence kardinsky

Shelflife Sat 10-Feb-24 16:13:29

I agree Urmstongran, it is about the power men exercise over women!

Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 16:14:54

Non compliance = consequences. Alienation within the Muslim community being the norm (and least physically tortuous).

AGAA4 Sat 10-Feb-24 16:19:25

I don't understand why the oppression of women should be celebrated in our country. Baffling.

Chestnut Sat 10-Feb-24 16:23:50

AGAA4

I don't understand why the oppression of women should be celebrated in our country. Baffling.

I understand perfectly.

Urmstongran Sat 10-Feb-24 16:25:36

Why has the Home Office even got its own Islamic Network? Do they have a Jewish Network or C of E Network? No of course not. 5th columnists spring to mind.

I find it all very worrying.

Ilovecheese Sat 10-Feb-24 16:28:24

In this country it is a choice, which we should allow.
But I don't think that putting the onus on women to control men's sexual urges is anything to celebrate.

Casdon Sat 10-Feb-24 16:33:20

Urmstongran

Why has the Home Office even got its own Islamic Network? Do they have a Jewish Network or C of E Network? No of course not. 5th columnists spring to mind.

Yes, they do. There is a Home Office/Civil Service network for every major religion.

TerriBull Sat 10-Feb-24 16:41:43

I think we should be able to discuss the fact that requirement of women covering their heads one way or another is a patriarchal construct. I'm listening to Barbra Streisand 's autobiography at the moment, when she was doing research for her film Yentl on delving into The Talmud and speaking to scholars in the Jewish religion, allegedly there isn't a directive in their holy book that says women should shave their head and wear wigs, but orthodox women do. I've heard corresponding points of view from progressive Muslims, there is no rule stated in The Koran that women should cover their heads. So where is this coming from? men in both cases and men again in the religion I was brought up in Catholicism and women go along with it until they don't and then they are considered, depending on how extreme the religion is renegades. Submission from women is what's required and God help women when those so called religions morph into theocracies. Yes fine I know some women like wearing the hijab fair enough their choice, but of course you'd never know if that was the case. What I think is pretty awful to see little girls no older than 5 scarved up as was the case when I took my then young granddaughter to the theatre. Covering a child's head because, her hair is a temptation to men, what sort of message is thathmm

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Feb-24 16:49:38

I agree with all of your post TerriBull

Glorianny Sat 10-Feb-24 16:50:26

Many Muslim women regard the hijab as a garment they choose to wear. They see it as in direct opposition to Western feminism which encourages women to display themselves and hence turns them into sex objects in the eyes of men. The hijab covers them and men are forced to consider their mind rather than their body.
Condemning such women as being totally dominated by men is wrong. Opening your eyes to current Islamic ideas is advisable.
Orthodox Jewish women shave their heads and wear wigs once they are married. Is that ok?

Glorianny Sat 10-Feb-24 16:56:00

TerriBull

I think we should be able to discuss the fact that requirement of women covering their heads one way or another is a patriarchal construct. I'm listening to Barbra Streisand 's autobiography at the moment, when she was doing research for her film Yentl on delving into The Talmud and speaking to scholars in the Jewish religion, allegedly there isn't a directive in their holy book that says women should shave their head and wear wigs, but orthodox women do. I've heard corresponding points of view from progressive Muslims, there is no rule stated in The Koran that women should cover their heads. So where is this coming from? men in both cases and men again in the religion I was brought up in Catholicism and women go along with it until they don't and then they are considered, depending on how extreme the religion is renegades. Submission from women is what's required and God help women when those so called religions morph into theocracies. Yes fine I know some women like wearing the hijab fair enough their choice, but of course you'd never know if that was the case. What I think is pretty awful to see little girls no older than 5 scarved up as was the case when I took my then young granddaughter to the theatre. Covering a child's head because, her hair is a temptation to men, what sort of message is thathmm

I'd agree but I think dressing a little girl in a boob tube, a mini skirt and adding a slogan like "Juicy" or some other suggestive words is also unacceptable.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Feb-24 16:57:14

I suggest you tell that to the women in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan or are you suggesting that they are willingly covering themselves?

If this is something they are doing willingly why are they systematically beaten and imprisoned for not covering their head or covering it incorrectly.

As for the women who have to wear the full body covering with only a black mesh small aperture through which they can see which is strictly policed in Afghanistan…

growstuff Sat 10-Feb-24 16:58:05

Urmstongran

www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-staff-networks/civil-service-jewish-network

Labradora Sat 10-Feb-24 16:59:01

CONTROL- masquerading as modesty, religious or cultural conformity, moral virtue - that is my gut reaction to the selection of head coverings required of any religion but most prominently at the moment, of Islam.
I confess to being always in a dilemna over this because as a feminist of the "whatever I wear..... wherever I go... yes means yes and no means no" variety choice has to include the choice to wear a Headscarf ? ????
My gut reaction to all the headscarves however named is , I must confess , a negative one.
I worked with a lovely Muslim lady years ago who didn't wear any sign of her religion in the workplace and I gather , from what she said , never wore Headscarves . Chatting in the office she said that HER SONS, who were two children about 9 and 11 years of age , were trying to talk her into wearing specifically the Hijab , "because "all GOOD women wore them".
They were in good early training for telling women what to do........................