Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new low

(131 Posts)
varian Sun 11-Feb-24 19:36:41

Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68266447

Most people now recognise that Russia helped Trump to be elected in 2016. Trump is Putin's puppet, his "useful idiot"

Trump is totally unhinged and yet still has a huge cult following.

But the world is now an even more dangerous place than it was in 2016. We cannot let him and his brainwashed followers triumph again.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Feb-24 19:39:00

Unfortunately we can’t stop them unless we are entitled to vote in the US. He is unhinged and I hope he can be prevented from being re-elected.

Dickens Sun 11-Feb-24 20:36:46

Not much we can do varian.

He's seen as a 'saviour' to the white working class (he 'understands' their grievances), he's hot on anti-abortion legislation (a vote-winner for most Republicans) and gave nice tax cuts to the wealthy whilst in office. So his defects will either be overlooked or completely ignored.

If Trump, as President, would seriously encourage, say Putin, to attack a NATO member because they hadn't paid up, without considering the ramifications such an attack might have on the fragile stability of the world at the moment, then I think he's an unhinged, dangerous psychopath.

Oh America, what are you doing!

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Feb-24 20:59:14

I'm not often speechless.

But ...

Farzanah Sun 11-Feb-24 21:04:21

Does he really mean it or does he just tries to be controversial, and play to his supporters I wonder?

Casdon Sun 11-Feb-24 21:08:11

I think he means it. The voters he needs to capture are the undecided, and I can’t imagine many of them going along with this. His supporters believe everything he says, so they are already lost.

lixy Sun 11-Feb-24 21:56:58

Didn't he want to take the US out of NATO when he was president? He has always had 'America first' and an isolationist attitude.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Feb-24 22:04:24

lixy

Didn't he want to take the US out of NATO when he was president? He has always had 'America first' and an isolationist attitude.

Can we un-Brexit?

pascal30 Sun 11-Feb-24 22:08:24

surely there must be someone young with ethics that can become the next president.. it's quite terrifying the direction the USA is heading..

lixy Sun 11-Feb-24 22:15:34

Callistemon21

lixy

Can we un-Brexit?

Oh, if only... but I don't think they'd have us back.

flappergirl Sun 11-Feb-24 22:19:09

Trump is playing to the (largely uneducated, red neck or bible belt) masses as always. I do agree though that he is a dangerous man. Fortunately I don't think Putin is anywhere near as stupid as Trump and would be highly unlikely to attack a NATO country, especially at his behest.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Feb-24 22:21:39

flappergirl

Trump is playing to the (largely uneducated, red neck or bible belt) masses as always. I do agree though that he is a dangerous man. Fortunately I don't think Putin is anywhere near as stupid as Trump and would be highly unlikely to attack a NATO country, especially at his behest.

🤔

I'm not so sure.
Ukraine first, then ??

M0nica Sun 11-Feb-24 22:29:30

I am sure it will get worse. It always does at the moment.

flappergirl Sun 11-Feb-24 22:36:46

Callistemon21

flappergirl

🤔

I'm not so sure.
Ukraine first, then ??

Yes, I'm not going to bet my last dollar on Putin but his first (and I believe) last intentions are to protect Russia and what he believes are Russia's dues. The situation in Ukraine is complex and we are only being told one part of a very long story.

So he already has one exhaustively expensive war on his hands. Attacking a NATO country would be suicide for the country he loves. But, who knows. Least of all me!

LovesBach Sun 11-Feb-24 22:42:48

Clearly the way to get a nation to pay its contribution to NATO is to threaten to bomb innocent citizens. What a remarkably astute and diplomatic solution, and this from a man who is under investigation for not paying his taxes.

Casdon Sun 11-Feb-24 22:49:30

I read tonight that Michele Obama may stand for the Democrats. I suspect she’d beat him by a mile if she does.

nanna8 Sun 11-Feb-24 23:18:55

Oh I hope she does Casdon Someone sane and fit would be wonderful.

catladyuk Mon 12-Feb-24 00:28:21

this says it all

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 00:49:18

I think Trump's antipathy towards Europe stems from the fact that he sees European unity as a threat to the interests of the US.

Back in - I think around 2018 - he told a rally audience in North Dakota that "The European Union, of course, was set up to take advantage of the United States, to attack our piggy bank” hmm

... I think consumers were buying more from Europe than Europe was buying from America. grin

Or maybe he thinks a unified Europe is a threat to America's dominance on the world stage? Dunno really, the man's a fruitcake.

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 00:52:17

catladyuk

LOL!

Though it's no laughing matter - but it's very witty.

Mom3 Mon 12-Feb-24 05:34:04

I am an American and very worried about tRump getting re-elected. I dislike people who support him.

Katie59 Mon 12-Feb-24 07:09:13

Trump is saying what his supporters want to hear, l did listen to actual speech and thought what he said was ambiguous, in the same way his speech before the attack on the Capitol was ambiguous, he should really think before he ad-libs like this.

It certainly rattled NATO which was the intention because even a little conflict like Ukraine cannot be handled without US assistance. The fact that many nations do not contribute enough to defence has long been an issue with both parties in the US

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Feb-24 07:12:38

I think one think that maybe it is easy to forget, that during his rantings before he got elected the first time, he said a lot of things that people thought that he couldn’t possibly mean to carry out.

But he did.

So I do hope that people understand that he means what he says however mad it sounds. This time he will have his ducks in order before he enters the White House - so he will undoubtedly carry out much of what he has planned with some ease.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 12-Feb-24 09:17:24

It’s frightening that apparently a lot of young people in the US will vote for whoever their favourite celebrity supports. Do they not have a mind of their own? I hope our young people are capable of independent thought.

Bella23 Mon 12-Feb-24 09:30:25

Trump does sound to mean what he says "America first."
Could his statement have been to get all the countries who do not pay what they should to NATO to make them do so?
The map showing the underpaying countries was very frightening.
America has been isolationist before and not paying for other countries' defence could easily get a lot of Americans on his side.