Gransnet forums

News & politics

Azar Ali

(382 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 12-Feb-24 18:27:24

Should he be allowed to stand for the LP in the Rochdale by-election after his remarks? Apologising doesn’t mean he doesn’t think exactly what he said.

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 19:38:41

No, not for the Labour Party, no difference what he said and
George Galloway singing ‘From The River To The Sea’

Pantglas2 Mon 12-Feb-24 19:41:52

Talk is cheap. He said it, meant it then apologised for it. Who believes that anything changed?

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 19:42:49

Labour has withdrawn its support

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Feb-24 20:11:12

Nick Thomas-Symonds & Lisa Nandy both spoke up in support for Azar Ali…

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Feb-24 20:13:00

Oops premature posting

I understand that Mr Starmer has withdrawn his support, where does that leave Labour MP’s who were/are Ali’s supporters?

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 20:25:22

Did they support what he said ?

Galaxy Mon 12-Feb-24 20:34:28

Labour are really stretching my patience this week. Starmer has such a job on his hands.

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 20:37:33

Agree Galaxy

Urmstongran Mon 12-Feb-24 20:46:26

Labour were shamed into making this correct decision. They supported him until this evening. Shocking.

Galaxy Mon 12-Feb-24 20:47:43

I am not sure it was just the shaming. Apparently further remarks have come to light

Urmstongran Mon 12-Feb-24 21:12:19

Please share.

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 21:38:46

I've heard this said before - or suggested, anyway. On social media sites.

But if a political candidate, politician or any other person in public life makes that kind of allegation, there has to be some proof - you can't just deduce these things. So he was wrong right from the off and Labour should've withdrawn their support immediately otherwise it just appears as if they're waiting to see if they can get away with it and carry on regardless.

Galaxy
I am not sure it was just the shaming. Apparently further remarks have come to light

Yes, it's hard to think this is just a 'one-off' unfortunate remark.

Anniel Mon 12-Feb-24 21:51:00

Well I think Starmer took his time and realised this man could not stand for Labour. I think it was brave but necessary decision.. He did the right thing.

Galaxy Mon 12-Feb-24 22:02:14

Dont know what they are Urmstongran, that's just the rumour going round.

Joseann Mon 12-Feb-24 22:07:02

You never hear about these random politicians until they mess up, big time.
You'd think tact and effective communication would be required above all else.

HousePlantQueen Mon 12-Feb-24 22:47:25

My thoughts too, Dickens. Azir Ali has said no more than many others have, and I was one of those who said as much on GN, namely that I just did not believe that Israel, with their all encompassing security services, did not know that the Hamas attack was coming, that it suits Natanyahu's political career to use this dreadful time as a distraction. It is also fairly public knowledge that radical settlers in Israel would like Palestinian territories cleared for them to live in. BUT, I am not standing for political office, and my opinions are my own. To save anyone posting ; this opinion does not mean I support Hamas or the October 7th atrocities. I am saddened and angered that anyone daring to question what Israel is doing are automatically and publicly accused of anti-semitism.

Anniel Mon 12-Feb-24 22:47:51

I just heard that Labour will not have a candidate in the Rochdale seat as Mr Ali was declared a candidate and Labour cannot choose another Labour representative. Is that really the case? Sir Keir’s decision was indeed a tough one for his party. Please do not elect George Galloway voters of Rochdale!

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Feb-24 22:55:22

Anniel

I just heard that Labour will not have a candidate in the Rochdale seat as Mr Ali was declared a candidate and Labour cannot choose another Labour representative. Is that really the case? Sir Keir’s decision was indeed a tough one for his party. Please do not elect George Galloway voters of Rochdale!

It was too late for the party to replace Mr Ali as its candidate

The decision means that Mr Ali will remain on the ballot as the Labour candidate for Rochdale, but if he is elected he will sit as a independent MP or join another party.

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 23:00:26

Annie1 I fear George Galloway, lots of film of him singing
From The River to The Sea to a very happy crowd

MayBee70 Mon 12-Feb-24 23:07:42

HousePlantQueen

My thoughts too, Dickens. Azir Ali has said no more than many others have, and I was one of those who said as much on GN, namely that I just did not believe that Israel, with their all encompassing security services, did not know that the Hamas attack was coming, that it suits Natanyahu's political career to use this dreadful time as a distraction. It is also fairly public knowledge that radical settlers in Israel would like Palestinian territories cleared for them to live in. BUT, I am not standing for political office, and my opinions are my own. To save anyone posting ; this opinion does not mean I support Hamas or the October 7th atrocities. I am saddened and angered that anyone daring to question what Israel is doing are automatically and publicly accused of anti-semitism.

Thank you for saying that. I agree with you.

Galaxy Mon 12-Feb-24 23:17:47

I agree that Starmer was in a difficult position but that's the problem for me, the party isnt just Starmer and there are parts of the party that are so far away from my position they may as well be on the moon. I just dont know how long I can keep saying anything is better than the Tories.

Anniel Mon 12-Feb-24 23:22:33

I am shocked that anyone would think that Israel allowed the massacre on On October 7th. Nobody in the normal political parties thinks that this crazy idea is true. I never realised that antisemitic views like that were believed by some Grans.

Anniebach Mon 12-Feb-24 23:35:19

Allowed babies to be raped ?

Grantanow Tue 13-Feb-24 00:02:00

I'm glad Starmer ditched Ali. Better late than never but he should have done it as soon as the offensive remarks became known. If course Labour were worried about Galloway but that was not an adequate reason to send Mandy and others to support Ali. Politically it makes little difference. Whoever wins the by-election will face a better Labour candidate at a GE.