Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has Kemi Badenoch gone too far this time?

(96 Posts)
CvD66 Tue 20-Feb-24 12:29:22

On Sunday via twitter, Kemi Badenoch claimed the former Chair of the Post Office Henry Staunton, had lied in his article to the Sunday Times. He had claimed he was asked by a senior civil servant, to stall the Post Office compensation until after the election. Mr Staunton is a former auditor, well trained in keeping evidence which he claims he has! Badenoch was highly charged in the HoC failing to reply to any questions for facts, merely making unsubstantiated claims about Mr Staunton. If she is right, why not show the evidence ….because it certainly looks like he will!

Katie59 Tue 20-Feb-24 12:39:16

Bearing in mind the fact behind the Horizon saga I’m pretty sure Stauntons version is pretty close to the truth. Even to this day the government is stalling the payments to the victims of Horizon.

Whether Stauntons version is verified depends on how much confidential correspondence goes missing, his word is not enough it has to be backed up by hard evidence. The dirty tricks department will be going through the files as I write.

Kim19 Tue 20-Feb-24 12:40:02

I don't care about this latest distraction. Just please compensate the cheated sub Post Office managers immediately.

Dinahmo Tue 20-Feb-24 12:52:12

Simple answer - yes.

Sarnia Tue 20-Feb-24 14:23:08

Henry Staunton either needs to name the senior civil servant or that person needs to come forward, immediately. I don't care about the finer feelings of anyone responsible for this appalling mess. At the moment it just seems yet another reason for delay. What an utter shambles it all is.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Feb-24 14:37:32

She is such an angry person too! Why is she mainly angry about something or other.

I read this yesterday:
www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/19/it-must-be-exhausting-to-be-kemi-badenoch-anger-her-ever-faithful-companion

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Feb-24 14:40:52

Anyone who takes pride in hacking into another MPs emails does not deserve to be in office in my opinion.

Why didn't Harriet Harmon press charges I wonder?

Katie59 Tue 20-Feb-24 16:07:06

Badenoch has the potential to be a real dictator and leader of right wing politics in the UK, if she ever gained real power she would be a great deal worse than Trump, very dangerous.

Summysoom Tue 20-Feb-24 16:12:23

But at least Badenoch knows what a woman is. I’ll cut her a bit of slack for that reason alone.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Feb-24 16:16:25

Summysoom

But at least Badenoch knows what a woman is. I’ll cut her a bit of slack for that reason alone.

What’s that got to do with Henry Staunton?

Summysoom Tue 20-Feb-24 16:26:04

Nothing - I was referring to the comment about Badenoch having the potential to become a dictator. Highly unlikely in a democracy. I’m just too tired of Labour politicians pushing the gender woo woo and happy that Badenoch pushes back against this nonsense.
As for Staunton, the whole thing is a mess and he still hasn’t named the senior civil servant despite stating he had recorded and filed a note about the conversation.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Feb-24 16:37:51

As Badenoch got rid of him it's for others to produce the email which he sent to himself (and others apparently) as backup and proof of what was going on.
He could see he would be hung out to dry!

We don't usually have access to work emails once we've left.

Maybe Badenoch can hack in and find it?

MayBee70 Tue 20-Feb-24 16:43:25

Summysoom

Nothing - I was referring to the comment about Badenoch having the potential to become a dictator. Highly unlikely in a democracy. I’m just too tired of Labour politicians pushing the gender woo woo and happy that Badenoch pushes back against this nonsense.
As for Staunton, the whole thing is a mess and he still hasn’t named the senior civil servant despite stating he had recorded and filed a note about the conversation.

So it’s ok that the government are possibly attempting to delay the compensation for these poor people as long as they meet your approval on other issues?

MayBee70 Tue 20-Feb-24 16:46:09

…and, for what it’s worth, Badenoch, Patel, Braverman, Kwarteng ( although he’s now leaving politics after trashing the economy) all scare the hell out of me. And they all think they are totally right about everything.

Katie59 Tue 20-Feb-24 17:21:07

That’s what Germany thought when they elected Hitler,

Katie59 Tue 20-Feb-24 17:23:49

“I was referring to the comment about Badenoch having the potential to become a dictator. Highly unlikely in a democracy.”

Iam64 Tue 20-Feb-24 17:26:42

Labour isn’t pushing gender woo woo. Badenoch is potentially dangerous as her history in politics shows

MaizieD Tue 20-Feb-24 18:36:16

Katie59

“I was referring to the comment about Badenoch having the potential to become a dictator. Highly unlikely in a democracy.”

I don't think people ever see views as being dictatorial when they agree with them...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 07:50:55

I suspect that Badenoch has lied over quite a few things.

Embassies never publicly denounce government ministers.

growstuff Wed 21-Feb-24 08:03:23

Mrs Badenoch has problems with the truth:

fullfact.org/can-i-trust/1590/kemi-badenoch/

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Feb-24 08:31:43

If we sent "full facts" all the things she said... Well!

growstuff Wed 21-Feb-24 09:03:28

NotSpaghetti

If we sent "full facts" all the things she said... Well!

She's my MP and I heard her speak at a hustings before she was first elected. She lied then about her background and her promise to live in the constituency. Unfortunately, this will never be anything but a Conservative constituency, but I think she'll have a reduced majority next election, partly because opposition parties have given up. I just don't understand how anybody in their right mind can see her as a future party leader or PM.

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Feb-24 09:05:41

Neither do I growstuff - but don't forget Trump did it!

growstuff Wed 21-Feb-24 09:07:38

NotSpaghetti

Neither do I growstuff - but don't forget Trump did it!

Now I'm really depressed hmm

Katie59 Wed 21-Feb-24 09:42:27

I just don't understand how anybody in their right mind can see her as a future party leader or PM.

There are a great many Tory voters that back her views, don’t write her off.