Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nigel Farage suggests Prince William ‘sticks to the BAFTAs’

(182 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 20-Feb-24 18:38:07

What do you think?

In my opinion William needs to understand what accepting the privilege of Royalty means.
You can have private opinions but keep them to yourself.

This is NOT the job of the Monarchy to get involved.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 20-Feb-24 18:44:32

I disagree. The King, when Prince of Wales, let his opinions on various issues be known. William is not the monarch and I see no reason why he can’t speak out on such an issue.

foxie48 Tue 20-Feb-24 19:01:08

No doubt if his opinion had agreed with Mr Farage he would have applauded it. I'm pleased to see that we have a future king who is prepared to speak out but remain diplomatic. His words were very carefully chosen.

Granniesunite Tue 20-Feb-24 19:02:12

I’m sure the wording of this statement was carefully studied before it was spoken and as the world opinions on this awful war has shifted perhaps the prince thought it was time to express an opinion.

Nigel Farage is not someone I’d take any notice of. I’d go as far as to say perhaps the whole of Scotland… or a good Majority anyway of us would ignore him.

Urmstongran Tue 20-Feb-24 19:04:37

Well I think his grandmother would have been horrified.

Granniesunite Tue 20-Feb-24 19:07:35

aHis grandmother is now deceased and the world is moving on.

M0nica Tue 20-Feb-24 19:08:46

I think Nigel Farage's criticism is a compliment to the heir to the throne. It shows him to to be a compassionate and thoughtful person - more than can be said about Nigel Farage.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-24 19:11:12

His grandmothers no longer here and times change
I think it’s good that they are moving towards a much less formal regime
Farage isn’t worth listening too, nasty man not an iota of care in his personality

Wheniwasyourage Tue 20-Feb-24 19:14:06

Well said, BlueBelle.

Parsley3 Tue 20-Feb-24 19:14:12

William clearly thinks that it is not enough for a Royal just to exist and a 21st century monarchy should get involved. He is showing that he wants to make a difference and I applaud that.

Galaxy Tue 20-Feb-24 19:15:13

Why on earth would I take notice of anything Prince William would say. The same applies to Farage.

Anniebach Tue 20-Feb-24 19:15:15

Charles set out his architectural philosophy in 1987 in a book called “A Vision of Britain.” In it, he wrote that the country's architecture should focus on historical and regional styles, and resist the “creeping cancer” of modernism that was making “everywhere — from Riyadh to Rangoon” look similar.

JenniferEccles Tue 20-Feb-24 19:19:25

If he had to say anything at all he should have just expressed a strong desire for the hostages to be released, and then left it at that.

I hope this isn’t going to be the beginning of William meddling in politics. It’s not his place.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-24 19:21:15

Well if he’s talking sense why not Galaxy ?and if he’s going to be a good role model to young people what’s to not like Anyone who knows me knows I m not a royalist at all but I must say I rather listen to William than to loud mouthed hypocrite Farage

Galaxy Tue 20-Feb-24 19:22:59

Because the idea of the royals speaking out on complex political issues fills me with horror. And I am certainly not going to support it.

Summerlove Tue 20-Feb-24 19:23:15

JenniferEccles

If he had to say anything at all he should have just expressed a strong desire for the hostages to be released, and then left it at that.

I hope this isn’t going to be the beginning of William meddling in politics. It’s not his place.

Caring about what is going on in the world and expressing it is everyones place

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Feb-24 19:24:40

Who on earth is going to listen to Farage?

Friend of Trump and Putin.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 20-Feb-24 19:26:41

I think your admiration of Farage is colouring your thinking Urms.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Feb-24 19:27:55

Up to you Galaxy so far you seem in a minority

TerriBull Tue 20-Feb-24 19:31:29

Possibly he's over stepping royal protocol, but it's such an emotive issue to see innocent people being bombed day in day out and having to go without basic provisions, he's expressing his feelings as a fellow human being.

It wasn't nice to see an Israeli woman hostage with the baby and young child still being moved around by Palestinian men, it's not either or. I hate the bombing and displacement of innocent people and I hate the way anti semitism is being ramped up as it undoubtedly is practically everywhere.

Galaxy Tue 20-Feb-24 19:31:44

Ha why on earth would I care about that.

Namsnanny Tue 20-Feb-24 19:33:46

Galaxy

Why on earth would I take notice of anything Prince William would say. The same applies to Farage.

gringringrin best retort yet grin

Galaxy Tue 20-Feb-24 19:38:27

Actually this reminds me of something I was thinking the other day, Grany has disappeared?

Urmstongran Tue 20-Feb-24 19:42:37

Germanshepherdsmum

Actually no, not at all. It just sparked off my own thoughts on the subject.

Namsnanny Tue 20-Feb-24 19:45:00

Urmstongran

Germanshepherdsmum

Actually no, not at all. It just sparked off my own thoughts on the subject.

I just thought she was starting an interesting thread myself.

Much like others do.