Gransnet forums

News & politics

The vote on the call for ceasefire in Gaza

(445 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 18:39:27

I have never seen such a bloody shambles ever!!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Feb-24 18:48:48

Just seen that SNP and Conservative MPs have walked out of the house and will not be voting on the Gaza ceasefire motion, is that correct?

Apparently it’s to do with The Speaker?

Oreo Wed 21-Feb-24 18:51:15

Amazing scenes!
Hoyle will be regretting doing what he did, he may be asking for a sick note from his Mum for tomorrow.
I don’t like the SNP but don’t blame them for being angry.
Bet they vote yes to sit in private.

Oreo Wed 21-Feb-24 18:55:52

Have to go out now so will find out later on what happens.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 18:56:47

Well, as far as I can understand it, (bear with😄) first we had the SNP motion - it was their day. They called for an immediate ceasefire

This put Starmer in real difficulties, because he faced a serious level of his MPs who were mindful to vote with the SNP.

So he put in an amendment calling for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Then at the last moment the government put in their amendment calling for an immediate ceasefire pause.

I’ve been watching the debate and every single mp except 1 I think supported a ceasefire.

Before the debate speaker announced that he was going to allow debate on all 3 motions, which is highly unusual and the row seems to centre around that.

The Tories and SNP walked out because they couldn’t get the speaker to turn up and explain himself.

I think the whole thing is an absolute disgrace.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 18:59:20

The whole point is that almost without exception they want a ceasefire.

It surely is not beyond their wit to get cooperation going between them.

It is dreadful.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Feb-24 19:07:43

The Speaker has returned. Says he regrets decision, was trying to protect MPs …

Lexisgranny Wed 21-Feb-24 19:09:17

An emotional Sir Lindsay Hoyle apologises to the House of Commons for ‘the decision that didn’t end up in the place I intended’ and offers to meet with all Leaders, and takes responsibility for his actions.

Cossy Wed 21-Feb-24 19:11:11

God! What a mess!

Lexisgranny Wed 21-Feb-24 19:17:58

The Speaker’s decision had flouted Article 31 in favour of his former party (Labour).

No-one has come out of this debacle well, and the sooner Parliament is reformed and MPs of all parties start behaving like responsible adults rather than baying wild animals, the better.

Iam64 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:22:25

What a nightmare

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:27:52

Our democracy is broken - I think it could be such a dangerous time.

What has happened it shameful.

The point is by far the vast majority of MPs think there should be a ceasefire, and yet it has ended in this!

Iam64 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:31:57

Hoyle has never seemed up to his job. Today may be the time for a new speaker

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:41:47

Having just had a quick look through online reports, no party comes out of this with their dignity intact.

The Speaker screwed up, the blame is firmly on his shoulders.

Iam64 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:44:42

Lisa Nandy on ch4 now - she’s good

Smileless2012 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:46:29

If nothing else, we need a new Speaker. If this wasn't so embarrassing and about such an important issue, it would be laughable.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:46:32

At the moment I am very interested to understand Starmer’s role in this. I am feeling very uncomfortable at the moment.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:49:10

Nandy is categorically denying the suggestion that labour threatened Hoyle.

Smileless2012 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:50:18

Do you think he's trying to play both ends against the middle Whitewavemark?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:51:09

This could have been parliaments finest hour, when they came together and showed the world the adults in the room.

Absolute failure.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:55:37

Smileless2012

Do you think he's trying to play both ends against the middle Whitewavemark?

What I think is that Starmer was very keen to avoid his MPs voting for the SNP motion and rebelling.

He put in an amendment, which added stuff like the hostage release, two state solution as well as an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Now, the suggestion is that he pressured Hoyle to ensure that he chose the labour amendment.

This is what I’m very uncomfortable about.

Urmstongran Wed 21-Feb-24 19:56:26

Hoyle got it badly wrong but I can understand his intention of trying to help MPs with large Muslim constituencies because they have been threatened. The question is how have we got to this stage? Why have let Muslims and their intimidatory way of politics have influence in what goes on in our parliament? They are threatening and showing a lot of hostility to democratically elected MPs. They have made them fearful for their safety and for that of their families. We need to start looking at the immigration status of people who behave this way and send them packing to their own countries. This is just not acceptable.

I agree with Farage. Sectarianism is raising its ugly head.

And why did the SNP choose this particular topic to debate? Beggars belief with all that needs addressing north of the border that they chose this subject. They will have known how divisive the topic is. Where they just throwing in a verbal hand grenade. And really - to what bluddy purpose? Posturing in its least attractive form as it’s not as though Israel or Hamas will take any notice - no matter what was voted for.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Feb-24 19:59:22

The Speaker needs to go. He has shown that he isn’t up to the job. However, whatever vote had been cast it wouldn’t have made one iota of difference to the situation between Israel and Gaza.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 19:59:50

Oh dear

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Feb-24 20:03:28

My “oh dear” was for urmspost and bringing Farage into it.