Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ukraine - two years on

(46 Posts)
maddyone Fri 23-Feb-24 08:59:36

Apparently it’s two years ago today since the war in Ukraine started. What a sad anniversary. So many people displaced, killed, murdered and raped. And no end in sight. Just to please a man who isn’t fit to walk the earth in my opinion.

BigBertha1 Fri 23-Feb-24 09:54:26

I agree I constantly hope for his demise.

maddyone Fri 23-Feb-24 10:02:26

So do I BigBertha.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Feb-24 10:06:05

As much as I dislike and do not trust President Putin, I am wary of wishing for his demise as who knows what the next President will be like.

I a, minded of the phrase better the devil you know

Aveline Fri 23-Feb-24 10:11:21

But Putin really is very bad man. Steve Rosenberg's article on the BBC website is very interesting. Well worth a read. Putin is recorded as saying that Ukraine is a sovereign state and not part of Russia.

SeaWoozle Fri 23-Feb-24 10:16:15

I don't wish ill of many people at all, but I hope he meets a slow, miserable fate.

A nurse friend of mine has been out to Ukraine helping tend to the wounded. He says it's awful. The world should be doing more. Though I don't know what that is......

Katie59 Fri 23-Feb-24 12:12:19

What started out as a restricted campaign expecting Ukraine to give in easily now looks like a full scale conquest intending to take over the whole of the country.

Sanction have been ineffective, armaments have been tightly controlled and insufficient, the Russian economy is now on a war footing, are they really going to stop now?. Unless NATO supplies massively more arms Putin is going to have his way, we are failing Ukraine.

nanna8 Fri 23-Feb-24 12:19:33

GrannyGravy13

As much as I dislike and do not trust President Putin, I am wary of wishing for his demise as who knows what the next President will be like.

I a, minded of the phrase ^better the devil you know^

That is a good point. He may well be surrounded by equally evil men. Scary thought. It is hard to believe no one has tried to dispose of him, he must ‘reward’ his followers well.

Katie59 Fri 23-Feb-24 12:33:36

nanna8

GrannyGravy13

I a, minded of the phrase ^better the devil you know^

That is a good point. He may well be surrounded by equally evil men. Scary thought. It is hard to believe no one has tried to dispose of him, he must ‘reward’ his followers well.

He disposes of all his opponents before they get a chance to be a threat, just like Stalin did. You have to be very brave or foolhardy to oppose him, he is also very aware how fractured the NATO alliance is.

Maremia Fri 23-Feb-24 15:24:07

I know it's normal to fear 'the devil you don't know' but I feel that Putin is the Kingpin, and that his regime will tumble when he does.

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 09:12:55

It’s rather sad that there several threads about the Israeli situation but Ukraine only warrants ten posts. Thank you to those who have posted though.

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 09:13:47

It rather tells those of us who are concerned that this war is no longer worthy of comment for many.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Feb-24 09:18:27

maddyone

It rather tells those of us who are concerned that this war is no longer worthy of comment for many.

I agree.

If Russian boots and missiles are not stopped and pushed back to Russia many Governments in the west believe that there is a real threat that this invasion will not stop at Ukraine.

Aveline Sat 24-Feb-24 09:26:59

Sadly true

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 09:34:57

I agree GrannyGravy and I’m very concerned for the stability of Europe if the Russians actually win. The Ukrainians are suffering badly with many soldiers having been killed in the war and insufficient weapons. Apparently we’ve just promised to provide a further two and a half million to the Ukrainians, I’m not sure whether that means in weapons or general aid, but it’s a drop in the ocean. And America are hesitating about continuing support now I think. Are we just going to throw the Ukrainians to the wolves?

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 09:39:02

And I’ve just seen that since my comment on Islamiphobia at 9.08 there have been a further 62 comments, but on this thread only two concerned comments. In the long run, this war is has more possibilities of affecting us than the terrible war in Israel and so I should have thought people would be concerned.

Iam64 Sat 24-Feb-24 09:44:55

I’ve only just seen this thread, I don’t see it as in some kind of ‘competition’ with others.
I share the horror about this war. Putin won’t be persuaded to back off. He has the power and money, alongside his psycho-athic personality - he’ll carry on. Unless someone takes him out. Yes there are other despots to replace him but young Russians seem less enamoured and to want more freedom

lixy Sat 24-Feb-24 09:52:55

maddyone

A very sad anniversary of the start of an invasion no-one thought would really happen at the time.

That it did happen is testament to the insouciance of Mr Putin and, yes, I agree that everything should be done by 'the West' to assist Ukraine in their fight. I do believe that the UK is doing a great deal - sending arms and training personnel - already.

maddyone I hope you are not too concerned about a league table of postings; there has been a lot of concern expressed on the sad Alexie Navalny threads too.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Feb-24 09:58:50

Where are the protests demanding an end to the war? Where are the flags and banners demanding Ukraine should be free? Where are the debates in Parliament deciding if we should demand a ceasefire? Nowhere that's where.

henetha Sat 24-Feb-24 09:59:08

It's vital that we continue to support Ukraine. Putin won't stop there if he wins. I hope the USA and others will step up their support and armaments. I'm proud of what UK has, and still is doing, to help the Ukrainians.
It's a worrying thought about what will happen if Trump gets re-elected.

Rosie51 Sat 24-Feb-24 10:10:38

I hadn't seen this thread until this morning, but totally agree with your opening post. Two years and no end in sight to Ukraine's suffering is awful.
The west really needs to hugely step up its support to help Ukraine defeat this invasion otherwise Putin won't stop until he's annexed the entire country. I too worry what will happen if Trump gets elected again. Putin's supposed backing of Biden is likely to increase support for Trump which is probably exactly what Putin wants.

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 10:17:22

Oh you’re right Iam, it’s not a competition. However I was surprised that it has attracted so few comments, hopefully now more will comment.
I’m really quite worried about the situation in Ukraine. I feel desperately sorry for the Ukrainians but extremely concerned about the possibility of a Russian victory. I saw a report recently where it explained that because Russia is also running short of soldiers, it is conscripting young men and giving them two weeks training and then straight on to front line. This is what Russia did in WW2, it’s about sheer numbers, and Russia has an unending supply of people.

Rosie51 Sat 24-Feb-24 10:28:02

Russia is also running short of soldiers, it is conscripting young men and giving them two weeks training and then straight on to front line. yes I've seen those reports too. Might this turn even more Russians against him? The young are less enamoured of him to start with, and the older Russians won't like their family members being untrained cannon fodder. That said I'm not sure what the Russian people can do to oust him.

Iam64 Sat 24-Feb-24 10:34:25

It’s terrifying to have war in Europe and against such a good friend and allie.
I often disagree with urmston but her point comparing the pro Palestinian anti Israeli marches with the deafening silence on Ukraine needs making

Iam64 Sat 24-Feb-24 10:35:11

I should stress - disagree with urmston on politics not life the universe and everything