Gransnet forums

News & politics

Islamaphobia is getting out of control

(763 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 07:13:37

We have Braverman and Anderson stirring up the most awful Islamaphobia.

I don’t think that we have ever had British MPs saying such racist and hateful rhetoric since Mosely. They are being backed by the worst sort of editorship. It is so redolent of the 20s and 30s.

Jewish and Christian leaders are calling for it to stop, as well as Tories who see this as a disaster for their party, as it will never ever end well.

Rory Stewart

This idea that “London is in the grip of Islamists” is deluded and it’s awful - an obsession that thrives among a bizarre and dangerous coalition. No conservative MP should ever be spouting this stuff.

M0nica Sat 24-Feb-24 07:25:36

is it any worse than anti-semitism?

One of our main parties is anti-semitic, the other is Islamophobic and all parties seem to have it in for Christians.

Casdon Sat 24-Feb-24 07:27:16

Lee Anderson yesterday according to ITV news:

‘Speaking on GB News, Mr Anderson said Mr Khan had "given our capital city away to his mates".

"I don't actually believe that the Islamists have got control of our country, but what I do believe is they've got control of Khan, and they've got control of London," Mr Anderson said.’

Really inflammatory and racist talk, not to mention inaccurate. My first thought though was that if he had a brain he’d be dangerous, because he spouts nonsense so frequently that surely nobody takes any notice? Sunak needs to take action because he really isn’t fit to serve.

maddyone Sat 24-Feb-24 07:32:52

M0nica

One of our main parties is anti-semitic, the other is Islamophobic and all parties seem to have it in for Christians.

Just what I think Monica.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 07:33:12

M0nica

When you have members of parliament claiming that London is being taken over by islamists and rhetoric from a former disgraced Home Secretary claiming that British institutions are now overtaken by islamists - then I would say yes it is something to be very concerned about. Change the word Islamist for Jew and we are right back in Nazi Germany.

I will not get into the ridiculous game of one evil form of prejudice is worse than another.

Vintagewhine Sat 24-Feb-24 07:33:37

It's vile behavior designed to appeal to a certain section of society. No one should spout these horrible lies especially mps, it's racist claptrap and our law makers should know better. Nasty behavior by nasty people!

Vintagewhine Sat 24-Feb-24 07:34:42

M0nica

It's all vile, none of it is acceptable

ronib Sat 24-Feb-24 07:39:43

Ouch. I don’t know if SB is guilty of anti Islamophobia but in such a complex situation, all voices should be heard in Parliament. Politicians make statements which are inflated and hijacked by opposition parties and used against them. But I think it’s important for MPs to own their own voices. If any MP has genuine concerns, then it’s legitimate parliamentary practice to raise them, explain and defend them too. Even when the words spoken seem not to make any sense at all.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 07:42:07

Braverman is guilty of Islamaphobia not anti-Islamaphobia.

She has form.

Kandinsky Sat 24-Feb-24 07:42:43

"I don't actually believe that the Islamists have got control of our country, but what I do believe is they've got control of Khan, and they've got control of London," Mr Anderson said

Well this could be true. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Not sure how people can totally dismiss this statement - what 100% proof have you got that it’s not true?

Galaxy Sat 24-Feb-24 07:48:13

It is anti semitism I am seeing particularly by those who think they are the good guys.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 07:52:54

Kandinsky

*"I don't actually believe that the Islamists have got control of our country, but what I do believe is they've got control of Khan, and they've got control of London," Mr Anderson said*

Well this could be true. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Not sure how people can totally dismiss this statement - what 100% proof have you got that it’s not true?

You do realise that this is racist rhetoric in its worse form?

Swap the word Islamist with Jew - it is simply not to be tolerated.

Anderson and Braverman need the whip withdrawn.

ronib Sat 24-Feb-24 07:56:13

Wwm2 yes my mistake- all this Islamophobia and anti stuff is very difficult to understand and keep up to date.
I don’t understand why SB should be muzzled in this debate and branded as an Islamophobe. Exactly how does this country move on from here?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:06:01

No member of parliament would stand up and say similar about the Jewish community - we at least have got that under control, but vigilance is the key imo

Free speech is our democratic right but we were taught from young that free speech comes with responsibility - we learned that from our experience watching what happens when the outcome is Holocaust.

So we are not free to use rhetoric that stirs up and encourages hatred, and it’s bedfellow violence.

Our leaders should be held to the highest standards as we know their words will have consequence.

TerriBull Sat 24-Feb-24 08:07:15

My perception is this, far right thuggery have no doubt attacked both Muslims and Jews, it's what they do and have always done, that don't need too much encouragement but tensions bring it to the fore.

The Jewish community is relatively small in numbers and cowed by recent events. Attacks on their community have risen exponentially, on occasions they have been intimidated by Muslim agiatators who conflate being Jewish with supporters of the Israeli state. I don't imagine Jewish people, given their numbers do it in reverse to Muslims, those attacks come almost certainly from the far right.

Anniebach Sat 24-Feb-24 08:09:41

Whitewave you have said no more about you hearing some in Labour are being financed by Israel

Urmstongran Sat 24-Feb-24 08:09:55

"Hard times create strong men,
strong men create good times,
good times create weak men,
and weak men create hard times."

Where in this cycle is the whole West at this moment?

Galaxy Sat 24-Feb-24 08:10:17

And who would you put in charge of deciding what stirs up hate. The government? No thank you.

Casdon Sat 24-Feb-24 08:10:22

Why do people think two wrongs make a right, I just don’t get it. You can’t excuse Anderson’s words by saying that other politicians make opposing statements, because when they do, they are plainly wrong too. What he said was racist, end of.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:11:54

Both faith communities have suffered more than any other faith community.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:12:33

Galaxy

And who would you put in charge of deciding what stirs up hate. The government? No thank you.

Are you aware that there are laws governing this?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:13:26

Anniebach

Whitewave you have said no more about you hearing some in Labour are being financed by Israel

No I meant to post what I found and I forgot. I’ll post it on the appropriate thread.

Galaxy Sat 24-Feb-24 08:13:43

No I am incredibly thick WW.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:15:07

Galaxy

No I am incredibly thick WW.

Then why the question?

Galaxy Sat 24-Feb-24 08:16:59

Who decides legislation, who interprets the law, etc etc. There have been numerous dreadful applications of the law relating to hate speech.