Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too many British families are hungry!

(551 Posts)
CvD66 Tue 27-Feb-24 13:55:32

According to Food Foundation tracker, 15% of UK households, approx 8m adults and 3m children, experienced food insecurity in January, as food prices continued to hit low-income families. (Today’s Guardian).
The report states that 60% of households bought less fruit and 44% less vegetables. Already the NHS has recorded an increase in hospital admissions for nutrition deficiency. Cancer UK has estimated there are 33,000 extra cases of cancer in UK associated with deprivation.
In contrast to this, the UK has 171 billionaires.
Is this really a country we can be proud of?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 14:00:03

Is it the fault of the billionaires?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:08:13

Germanshepherdsmum

That is not what was said!

AGAA4 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:12:34

There has always been inequality. It's just that the divide is getting wider.

kazz94 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:19:51

Bit of a rant and some may say totally unimportant but for those of us who hate football, telly tonight is football on BBC1 AND ITV!!! Ergggghhh

kazz94 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:29:29

Sorry! I appear to have commented on this post instead of posting! Newbie mistake

MaizieD Tue 27-Feb-24 14:31:02

AGAA4

There has always been starvation. Does that mean we have to tolerate it?

MaizieD Tue 27-Feb-24 14:32:27

kazz94

Sorry! I appear to have commented on this post instead of posting! Newbie mistake

No worries, kazz94, it happens to the best of us from time to time grin

Welcome to Gransnet.

MissInterpreted Tue 27-Feb-24 14:58:22

MaizieD

AGAA4

There has always been starvation. Does that mean we have to tolerate it?

No, we shouldn't. It's a disgrace that, in this day and age, anyone should be going hungry - especially children.

welbeck Tue 27-Feb-24 15:03:50

i found an old till receipt from a year ago.
even in lidl, the increase in food prices is far greater than it was say 10 years ago, from one year to the next.
no wonder so many are struggling to afford the basics.

SeaWoozle Tue 27-Feb-24 15:04:26

Germanshepherdsmum

Oh dear.

SeaWoozle Tue 27-Feb-24 15:06:11

Germanshepherdsmum

But if you want to go there.......

"......."Billionaire" isn't a qualification. It's the description of a person who is hoarding more resources than they could use in 100 lifetimes while other people are starving. It's the name for a human dragon sleeping on its pile of rubies and gold"

AGAA4 Tue 27-Feb-24 15:15:45

MaizieD where did I say I tolerated it.? I certainly don't. I have always worked for the benefit of children and can't bear to know they go hungry.

Baggs Tue 27-Feb-24 15:17:12

I had a look at the website of Food Foundation Tracker. I could not find any information as to how they are defining food insecurity.

SeaWoozle Tue 27-Feb-24 15:21:01

www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/research-advocacy/hunger-in-the-uk/

Baggs Tue 27-Feb-24 15:28:35

Thanks seawoozle. Does the link to that site mean that the definition of food insecurity is "needing to use a food bank"?

Delia22 Tue 27-Feb-24 15:41:45

Maybe it,s irrelevant but how many of the "poor,disadvantaged" families each have I phones,possibly on contracts? Also some who purchase vapes. Sometimes it may be down to education.I don't mean general education but I believe frozen fruit and vegetables are relatively cheap.Doesn,t take much to make a healthy soup.However on the other hand I know there are many families where there are two adults working who struggle to buy essential basic nourishing food. There doesn't seem to be an easy answer and yes there has always been poverty.

Primrose53 Tue 27-Feb-24 16:02:22

I don’t believe it. There are breakfast clubs, after school clubs, food banks, community fridges. Supermarkets doing great deals on fruit and veg. Some cafes giving free kids meals if parents have a meal. Free school meals for ALL young kids. None of which were available when I was a kid.

I saw no evidence during half term that people are hungry. Everywhere I went families were out eating fish and chips, McDonalds, KFC, burgers on market stalls etc.

Some people don’t know how to budget and choose to spend their money on things other than food so they come to rely on handouts and it becomes the norm.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Feb-24 16:07:37

Have the billionaires played the correct amount of tax?
Is the tax system fair? If not, is that the fault of billionaires?
How many billionaires are also philanthropists?
Why are food prices going up yet farmers are struggling and many give up farming or are talking about doing so? Some farmers have committed suicide through the stress of it all.
What part are supermarkets playing in the rise in prices?

Certainly people who are managing (but probably not wealthy) are generous with food donations.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 16:13:51

Yes, Primrose, it’s amazing how many eat takeaway food - and it’s expensive. Our local fish and chip shops are always busy, as are the Indian and Chinese takeaways.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Feb-24 16:13:59

When I go out, I see no evidence of depressed people, people caught up in domestic violence, people who have terminal illnesses.
Yet I know there are droves of them.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Feb-24 16:15:29

May as well get it all out the way.
Latest iPhones, broadband, fake nails.. smile

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 16:16:57

If you saw me you wouldn’t know I have clinical depression MissA. And I can tell you from experience that domestic violence doesn’t always show.

Doodledog Tue 27-Feb-24 16:17:55

Have smartphones taken over from flatscreen TVs as the measure by which people judge the poor as undeserving?

I wonder when 'Oh, but they can afford shoes' became outmoded as a threshold?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Feb-24 16:18:20

Exactly my point, GSmum.