Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why hasn’t the PM called a GE

(147 Posts)
Cossy Thu 29-Feb-24 14:24:32

I’m sure I’m being very naive, but why on earth hasn’t Sunak called a GE yet?

What does he really think is going to change between May and October?

Where is the benefit to anyone just putting it off?

Anyone here know the answer?

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Feb-24 14:27:32

I suppose the answer is because doesn't have too and doesn't want too. It benefits him because until there is a GE he remains the PM.

LizzieDrip Thu 29-Feb-24 14:33:10

I think Sunak and the Tories want to do as much damage as possible before the GE, thereby making Labour’s job (as the next government) virtually impossible. The Tories have accepted they won’t win the election but they want Labour to only have one term in office. They

The longer Sunak waits to call an election, the more damage he & his party can do to the country.

LizzieDrip Thu 29-Feb-24 14:35:27

Oops sorry, an extra ‘they’ in there🙈

Cossy Thu 29-Feb-24 14:38:26

It just all seems so pointless and spiteful just delaying what many of us see as the inevitable (🙏🤞)

Galaxy Thu 29-Feb-24 14:40:09

He doesnt have to and they are going to lose. It's actually quite unusually a sensible decision from him.

AGAA4 Thu 29-Feb-24 14:42:00

If the Tories have no other qualities at least they're tenacious. They won't give up easily.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 29-Feb-24 14:45:46

If Sunak (aka Titchy Suit Size according to Nick Abbott) was to call a GE he'd be like a turkey voting for Christmas so that is why (IMHO) won't do it.

Mind you, he could threaten some of his most troublesome MPs who are afraid of losing their seats that this is what he will do.

If recent Question Time audiences are anything to go by, most people are desperate to see the back of this Government. We can expect to see some desperate vote-winning measures in the Budget to try and retain the votes of those who voted for them last time.

Greta Thu 29-Feb-24 15:15:26

I believe we're going to hear of umteen initiatives to "grow the economy", lots of praise because the PM has tackled inflation, singlehandedly he'll have us believe, and of course "we have a plan". I wonder if he believes that if he waits long enough a miracle is bound to happen and all the misery caused by 14 years of austerity will just disappear.

J52 Thu 29-Feb-24 15:38:59

Well it’s simple, he and the MPs get paid more money whilst in posts. As they say ‘every little helps’.

Cossy Thu 29-Feb-24 15:39:59

Galaxy

He doesnt have to and they are going to lose. It's actually quite unusually a sensible decision from him.

Good for the Tory’s - terrible for the country! Much as I wish for a Labour win, it’s never just a foregone conclusions, I’m not taking anything for granted!

Summerfly Thu 29-Feb-24 15:43:44

Yes, my thoughts exactly Lizziedrip.
Sod the public, let’s play games. They’re doing exactly the same with the nhs. I’ve been waiting for a fast track appointment for over a month. Still not heard anything. I’ve decided to use private healthcare. Appalling behaviour.

My problem is, who do I vote for? None of them seem to have integrity anymore.

MaizieD Thu 29-Feb-24 15:44:49

One theory I've hesrd is that he wants to be PM for longer than Johnson... (though I'm not sure of the maths of that. (grin) )

Visgir1 Thu 29-Feb-24 15:47:21

I have been told its definitely October by someone who is a Chairman of a local Conservative group.

keepingquiet Thu 29-Feb-24 15:48:39

The answer is quite simply: money money money- the only criteria Tories have for holding on to power.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 29-Feb-24 15:56:09

He can wait until January 2025 if he really really wants to!

Cossy Thu 29-Feb-24 15:58:00

Ladyleftfieldlover

He can wait until January 2025 if he really really wants to!

I 🙏 not! 🫣😱

Aveline Thu 29-Feb-24 16:08:24

Sunak is a very wealthy individual. He's not hanging on for the money

Grannybags Thu 29-Feb-24 16:22:38

There’s been so many by elections he’s having a GE by installments! 😂

Cossy Thu 29-Feb-24 16:27:02

Grannybags

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 29-Feb-24 16:47:09

Grannybags

But that’s not really good for the nerves though, is it? Let’s just get the d****d thing over with and perhaps life can be something to look forward to. Having said that, my constituency could put up a donkey wearing a blue rosette and it would win!

Allsorts Thu 29-Feb-24 16:54:03

As Smileless said. I think there’s been too many changes in such a short time. Not a Sunak fan but he’s between a rock and a hard place, meanwhile Kier practises sitting on that fence.

Boz Thu 29-Feb-24 17:23:55

The longer you wait there is the chance of Labour shooting themselves in the foot. For example; if Starmer was out of the picture would Raynor get a big vote?

Freya5 Thu 29-Feb-24 17:43:29

Ladyleftfieldlover

Grannybags

But that’s not really good for the nerves though, is it? Let’s just get the d****d thing over with and perhaps life can be something to look forward to. Having said that, my constituency could put up a donkey wearing a blue rosette and it would win!

Many constituents would vote for a donkey if you stuck a red rosette on its backside. Oh and a wig on its head.
Just heard Starmer bleating on about building more homes,my goodness come to my neck of the woods, everywhere you turn there's bloody houses going up.
Bleating on about lack of investment, and apprenticeships, all alive and kicking well in my area.
Perhaps he needs to get out of London more, but then non so blind as when an election is looming, he will push an agenda.

Casdon Thu 29-Feb-24 18:02:29

Here’s one for the non Tories, this explains the current thinking in the party. Song du jour.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jnFPwneh8
I wouldn’t watch it Freya5, it will raise your blood pressure.