Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Galloway is the MP for Rochdale

(349 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 01-Mar-24 08:17:26

He did refer to some local issues but his campaign was about Palestine-Israel. His win was resounding and his victory speech focussed on telling Keir Starmer his stance on Gaza is a major problem for Labour. Galloway’s latest party is called the the workers party, I think. Will they put up candidates in other northern former mill towns with large communities of people of Muslim fairy? (like my town)

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-24 08:29:09

He said during his campaign he was concentrating on the Muslim vote, there are videos of him singing From The River to The Sea to a large group of men.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-24 08:32:48

GG is a self publicist with a big ego. He is a Muslim now. That fact is rarely mentioned. However, I can’t take him seriously ever since he pretended to be a cat lapping milk and having his ears and ‘whiskers’ rubbed by Rula Lenska on TV years ago!

Iam64 Fri 01-Mar-24 08:34:50

He did Annie. He spoke at a rally in my town some years ago. He was roundly cheered for repeating the conspiracy theory that 9/11 was orchestrated by the Jews and the Americans. The audience was mainly from our Muslim community.

I’ve disagreed with comments on gransnet that have supported eg Lee Anderson’s inflammatory language about Mayor Khan. I am worried though about the power Anderson and Galloway have to shout untruths loudly and often so they become seen as valid points of view

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-24 08:43:03

Obvious he would win, far left and antisemitic

Iam64 Fri 01-Mar-24 08:45:01

I’m not convinced the majority of Muslims are far left but the conflict in Gaza is something they feel very strongly about.

Nicenanny3 Fri 01-Mar-24 08:45:13

Now the polls have closed, people across the UK need to know the truth about this election campaign - and the implications for our democracy.

To suggest that a parliamentary election in this country has not been truly free and fair is a very serious allegation indeed.

Unfortunately however, the behaviour of certain candidates and their supporters in this contest fell very far short of this our traditional democratic standards. What we have witnessed and experienced in Rochdale is deeply disturbing.

In recent weeks, Reform UK’s candidate and campaign team has:

- been subjected to death threats
- suffered vile racist abuse
- been refused entry to hustings in a public building
- had to be relocated for their own safety
- suffered daily intimidation and slurs

In one incident, Reform UK business supporters were threatened with a firebomb attack if they distributed our leaflets. Menacing behaviour was a feature of the entire campaign, including outside polling stations on the day of the election itself. In this ugliest of contests, we are also concerned by the sudden increase in the size of the postal vote, which has jumped from 14,000 to some 23,000 in this constituency since the last general election.

The results of the Rochdale by-election should act as a stark wake up call to those in power – and the entire electorate. This is Britain. We are supposed to be a beacon of democracy. This shameful contest has been more characteristic of a failed state.
Unless something dramatic changes, our fear is that it will be repeated in dozens of constituencies across the UK at the general election. By Christmas, we face the prospect of numerous extremist anti-Semitic lawmakers in the House of Commons.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-24 08:49:54

I think that was Richard Tice’s post on ‘X’.
GG denies this.
He says ‘ask the Police’ as there is no proof.

petra Fri 01-Mar-24 09:02:27

I’ve been reading about this organisation/party? for some time. I can’t get to the bottom of what they actually want other than a complete ceasefire in Gaza.
I’ve read that they will contest 55 seats in the next election.

themuslimvote.co.uk/

If nothing else it will be interesting.

Freya5 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:04:11

Urmstongran

GG denies this.

You really think this is done openly, who called the police when the harassment occurred,no one as too scared possibly. The teacher still in hiding, with his family.remember. A sad day for this country when a left wing anti semite extremist is elected as an mp.
Can see the uproar on gransnet if he had been right wing.

Glorianny Fri 01-Mar-24 09:05:15

Right let's get rid of this is a Muslim vote for a start.
Galloway won 40% of the vote
The population of Rochdale is List 46.9% Christianity 28.8% no religion 18.8% Islam 0.3% Hinduism 0.2% Buddhism 0.1% Judaism 0.1% Sikhism 0.3% other 4.6% not stated
So highly unlikely that it is purely a Muslim victory.
It is a wake up call for Starmer and the LP headquarters. Firstly that he has to stop sitting on the fence about Gaza because people in the UK care about innocent people being slaughtered, and secondly that he has to stop interfering in local LP politics and deciding who can stand. I hope he gets both messages,but I very much doubt he will.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-24 09:08:14

GG shouts ‘this is for Gaza!’
Not Rochdale then. No mention of the town in this by election.
I notice too there was no mention of the (still active) grooming gangs there.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:08:29

Freya5

Urmstongran

GG denies this.

You really think this is done openly, who called the police when the harassment occurred,no one as too scared possibly. The teacher still in hiding, with his family.remember. A sad day for this country when a left wing anti semite extremist is elected as an mp.
Can see the uproar on gransnet if he had been right wing.

The teacher from Batley is still in hiding with his family…

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:09:54

SorryFreya5 I am posting without my reading glasses, just reread your post and you mentioned the teacher was still in hiding.

Oreo Fri 01-Mar-24 09:10:20

I can well believe the dirty tactics that went on.
Postal voting means the head of muslim households, men of course, can fill in the ballot papers for everyone in the household.
George Galloway wins on appealing to those who hate Jews worldwide.
Voting on religious grounds only, not even fellow countrymen and a different culture as Pakistan is not the middle east, is not only ridiculous but worrying. Entirely won on Gaza and not what’s good for Rochdale or the UK.
Suella Braverman is right when she says that many immigrants who have settled here ‘ are in the UK but not of the UK’.Am not generally a fan of Braverman and don’t vote Tory but sometimes they tell it like it is and will say so.Wish Labour MP’s would be a but more courageous but they always have the eye on votes in big muslim constituencies.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 09:13:50

Nicenanny3

Now the polls have closed, people across the UK need to know the truth about this election campaign - and the implications for our democracy.

To suggest that a parliamentary election in this country has not been truly free and fair is a very serious allegation indeed.

Unfortunately however, the behaviour of certain candidates and their supporters in this contest fell very far short of this our traditional democratic standards. What we have witnessed and experienced in Rochdale is deeply disturbing.

In recent weeks, Reform UK’s candidate and campaign team has:

- been subjected to death threats
- suffered vile racist abuse
- been refused entry to hustings in a public building
- had to be relocated for their own safety
- suffered daily intimidation and slurs

In one incident, Reform UK business supporters were threatened with a firebomb attack if they distributed our leaflets. Menacing behaviour was a feature of the entire campaign, including outside polling stations on the day of the election itself. In this ugliest of contests, we are also concerned by the sudden increase in the size of the postal vote, which has jumped from 14,000 to some 23,000 in this constituency since the last general election.

The results of the Rochdale by-election should act as a stark wake up call to those in power – and the entire electorate. This is Britain. We are supposed to be a beacon of democracy. This shameful contest has been more characteristic of a failed state.
Unless something dramatic changes, our fear is that it will be repeated in dozens of constituencies across the UK at the general election. By Christmas, we face the prospect of numerous extremist anti-Semitic lawmakers in the House of Commons.

our fear, our leaflets? are you a member of Reform UK?

Oreo Fri 01-Mar-24 09:14:56

Glorianny

Right let's get rid of this is a Muslim vote for a start.
Galloway won 40% of the vote
The population of Rochdale is List 46.9% Christianity 28.8% no religion 18.8% Islam 0.3% Hinduism 0.2% Buddhism 0.1% Judaism 0.1% Sikhism 0.3% other 4.6% not stated
So highly unlikely that it is purely a Muslim victory.
It is a wake up call for Starmer and the LP headquarters. Firstly that he has to stop sitting on the fence about Gaza because people in the UK care about innocent people being slaughtered, and secondly that he has to stop interfering in local LP politics and deciding who can stand. I hope he gets both messages,but I very much doubt he will.

Oh will you listen to yourself!
Of course it’s the muslim vote, allied to those on the left who would have voted for the anti semitic Labour candidate if he hadn’t been forced to pull out.

Oreo Fri 01-Mar-24 09:15:41

GSM it’s a piece written by Tice.

Aveline Fri 01-Mar-24 09:17:12

He'll certainly stir up Parliament. Good. There can't be anyone who doesn't think there should be a ceasefire. This genocide in Palestine cannot be allowed to continue.

Oreo Fri 01-Mar-24 09:19:11

Well, the people of Rochdale are welcome to him, but if they think he’ll have any power to interfere or influence what goes on in Gaza then they’ll be disappointed.

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-24 09:19:23

Oreo Oh will you listen to yourself!
Of course it’s the muslim vote, allied to those on the left who would have voted for the anti semitic Labour candidate if he hadn’t been forced to pull out.

Galloway said he was concentrating on the Muslim vote

Galaxy Fri 01-Mar-24 09:20:58

Indeed let's send Starmer a message by electing an anti semitic conspiracy theorist,but ooh that rush when you are on the right side of history.

Nicenanny3 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:21:09

09:13Germanshepherdsmum

Forgot to put its from Reform UK Facebook Page and yes I'm a supporter of Reform.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 09:21:10

Oreo

I can well believe the dirty tactics that went on.
Postal voting means the head of muslim households, men of course, can fill in the ballot papers for everyone in the household.
George Galloway wins on appealing to those who hate Jews worldwide.
Voting on religious grounds only, not even fellow countrymen and a different culture as Pakistan is not the middle east, is not only ridiculous but worrying. Entirely won on Gaza and not what’s good for Rochdale or the UK.
Suella Braverman is right when she says that many immigrants who have settled here ‘ are in the UK but not of the UK’.Am not generally a fan of Braverman and don’t vote Tory but sometimes they tell it like it is and will say so.Wish Labour MP’s would be a but more courageous but they always have the eye on votes in big muslim constituencies.

I share your views on why the postal votes have increased so dramatically. The prospect of further election successes by Galloway’s ilk is worrying indeed.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Mar-24 09:21:39

I can only ever see him licking milk out of a saucer with Edwin’s curry and purring with Rula Lenski
I can’t take him seriously