Gransnet forums

News & politics

Beyond belief!

(21 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 10:42:10

Jim Ratcliffe, CEO of Ineos, is closing down the Grangemouth oil refinery in Scotland but is being given a £600million grant/ subsidy by our government to build a new petro-chemicals plant in Antwerp. You couldn’t make it up.
He is also part owner of Manchester United and wants the government to pay for a new stadium
He is a Tory donor.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-24 10:46:26

I have no knowledge of the refinery/petro chemical deal.

As for the new stadium, it is being suggested as a national stadium for the north as opposed to solely having all big games at Wembley.

Louella12 Fri 01-Mar-24 10:48:29

I like him. I've met him a few times due to charity works.

He's in a different world to most of us.

Self made. Grew up in a council house. Now worth billions.

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 10:57:44

Louella12, he may be a very nice man and do charity work, but that doesn’t explain to me why he wants funding for a project in Antwerp.

Baggs Fri 01-Mar-24 11:05:12

Is this the same company doing important antimicrobial research at Oxford and around the world so that when antibiotics become ineffective and things like childbirth or a cut could be fatal (as they used to be) there is some help out there?

keepingquiet Fri 01-Mar-24 11:06:26

brexit without Brexit?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 11:11:49

It’s a green initiative. Ineos is a British company. If this initiative succeeds it will be a significant step in the fight to stop climate change.
www.energylivenews.com/2023/02/14/ineos-bags-e3-5bn-funding-for-europes-greenest-ethane-cracker/

Granny23 Fri 01-Mar-24 11:14:22

The most shocking thing about this,after the huge loss of skilled jobs at Grangemouth, is that there will no longer be anywhere in Scotland where "Scotland's Oil" can be processed. Which will leave a drop of billions in the Scottish economy and a rise in price of petrol at the pumps as instead of oil coming ashore near the refinery, turned into petrol and distributed directly from the plant, there will be the added cost of a trip to Europe and back.

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 11:46:30

Exactly, Granny23.
Great that it is a green initiative, but why isn’t it a state supported initiative in the UK, Germanshepherdsmum?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 11:50:57

Does it matter if it’s helping to fight climate change? The government has given money to support a cause which is important to the entire world.

Elegran Fri 01-Mar-24 12:50:05

Is there a Scottish initiative that would support the cause equally well? Such as processing and distributing Scottish oil from a green Scottish refinery and not sending it across the North Sea and back?

I would like to hear more about " important antimicrobial research at Oxford and around the world so that when antibiotics become ineffective and things like childbirth or a cut could be fatal (as they used to be) there is some help out there" too.

Elegran Fri 01-Mar-24 12:52:36

I found this - www.ineos.com/inch-magazine/articles/issue-23/ineos-oxford-institute/

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 12:54:34

Siting the facility in Antwerp means that EU funding can also be obtained.

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 12:58:53

Germanshephersmum, another benefit of Brexit then.

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 13:14:35

Thank you, Elegran, for the link. I agree the antibiotics research at Oxford that Ineos has contributed a huge amount to is excellent and really needed.
Germanshephersmum, having done a little more research on the petrochemical plant in Antwerp, , it looks rather less than green, being concerned with the production of polluting plastics.
www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/29/uk-600m-backing-jim-ratcliffe-carbon-bomb-petrochemical-plant

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 13:30:48

It’s involved in the production of more sustainable plastics - we are unlikely to stop using plastics.

MaizieD Fri 01-Mar-24 13:36:27

Germanshepherdsmum

Does it matter if it’s helping to fight climate change? The government has given money to support a cause which is important to the entire world.

I think it will matter to the workers who will be losing their jobs. What is going to replace them?

Perhaps people think that the government should invest in green initiatives in the UK.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Mar-24 13:40:28

And I expect they do.

Nandalot Fri 01-Mar-24 19:20:29

Germansheoherdsmum, did you read the link from the Guardian? Although Ineos might argue they are should be carbon neutral in 10 years, there is an awful lot of evidence that this plant will contribute greatly to plastic pollution and carbon emissions.

Baggs Sat 02-Mar-24 06:18:45

Since I last posted on this thread I have heard it said that it is the SNP-Green alliance that killed off the Grangemouth oil refinery. Sounds plausible.

Ali08 Sat 02-Mar-24 11:27:16

I saw something on Fb that put things into perspective for me.
Footballers get paid X-amount of millions for kicking a ball around a field, while our own military get a hell of a lot LESS for fighting for our country.
Footballers hurt themselves and are treated to 5* hospitals and treatment.
Our military still fight to get any decent medical treatment or amendments to their homes.

I'm sure the damned football clubs can pay for their own new stadiums!!!