Gransnet forums

Chat

Who do we dress for?

(17 Posts)
M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 11:38:34

It is a ongoing argument on GN and elsewhere, whether when women dress, they dress for themselves or really dress to impress others.

I think recent events have been quite illuminating in showing that in fact it varies from person to person. On various threads one group of Gnetters have described how, when at home and not going out they are slobbing out and casting off their bras, getting into pyjamas and other really casual gear, presumably because they only dress to impress and with no one to dress for they do not bother (I exclude those for whom this is how they dress all the time, they fall in the group to be described).

Another group are describing how, even when alone at home they still choose to dress as they always did, including skincare and make-up, showing that this group dresses for themselves and not other people.

I confess I fall in the second group. I am sitting at my desk at the moment, casually and comfortably dressed. with admittedly, not full make-up, but exactly how I would dress if I were leading my usual busy life going to meetings, and social engagements. For me wearing a tracksuit or leisure pyjamas etc during the day is something I only do when I am ill and just too unwell to wear anything else. Bed wear, gets worn only when going to bed or sleeping at night, or when too ill to do anything but stay in bed.

FarNorth Sun 12-Apr-20 11:48:02

I usually wear scruffy gear at home and slightly less scruffy gear when I'm going to be seeing others.
Now, tho, I sometimes choose to be less scruffy for my own benefit - but stop short at putting on a bra. smile

Like you, M0nica, I only use pyjamas & leisure wear for bedtime and illness.

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 12:20:07

I think it's pride that makes me want to get dressed in the mornings. I've got to be clean and dressed---for me !
Pressed trousers and one of my new Asda jumpers---no tights though today.
A casual look most times but no crumply trousers or lounge suits.

Even if/when I'm ill I'll still get dressed as it helps you feel better and doesn't give the family a fright if you're still in your dressing gown.

grandMattie Sun 12-Apr-20 12:24:07

I dress for the occasion. It feels disrespectful not to. I wouldn’t go out to lunch in jeans and a T-shirt, I wouldn’t wear my best clothes for messing about in the garden.

grandMattie Sun 12-Apr-20 12:25:04

Ps I never wear make up as it gives me eczema, so I always have a clean scrubbed face!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 12-Apr-20 12:33:18

I don’t dress to impress anyone, so dress to impress means zilch to me, but I dress for myself, I like smart casual. But obviously if doing the garden I’m not going to be dressed up, for me it’s about taking pride in myself, I wouldn’t be wearing pjs until bedtime or if I was ill then that’s when they would be worn, I do wear make up but not loads of it

SueDonim Sun 12-Apr-20 12:35:56

I’m wearing what I usually wear. I’d start to feel ill if I wore nightwear all day, every day.

Kalu Sun 12-Apr-20 12:58:32

I fall into the second group. Just my personal choice as to wearing slobby clothing would make me feel quite down. I have never owned a track suit for the same reason.

I did a search recently for women’s cotton PJs and all I found were PJs with Mickey Mouse type carachters or various messages on what looked like a sweat-shirt/T-shirt tops and joggy bottoms. Not PJs I would buy for myself as these are the style of PJs I buy for GDs

Kalu Sun 12-Apr-20 13:01:50

Characters ? predictive blooming text

MerylStreep Sun 12-Apr-20 13:11:56

I think this will answer MOnicas question. I'm on my third outfit today.
For my exercises this morning I had on what you would normall wear.
Then I changed into pink jeans and navy T shirt.
Now it so hot here ( southeast) I'm in a long black linen dress.
I dress for me.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:19:17

I dress in the morning, wouldn't dream of eating breakfast in my dressing-gown.

Dress in ordinary clothes most of the time, in daring lingerie when hopping into bed with DH and dress to impress when we go out, which of course we can't do right now.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Apr-20 13:21:18

Like you Kalu I hate the message and picture nightwear. I have some plain bamboo nightwear and some organic cottons.
If you google adults organic cotton nightwear (or bamboo nightwear) I think you’ll find more choice, I did.

At home or out I wear the same clothes. They are the same all year round but in the summer no vests or roll neck tops underneath. I wear a lot of linen so tend to wear whatever is washed and ironed each day. I suppose it’s become my personal uniform and it’s so very easy as it requires no thought.

Like M0nica I’d have to be ill to wear PJs or other nightwear other than actually in bed (or nearly so) - and I can’t function in slippers either so they are strictly only for bedtimes and getting up. Wearing them at any other time seems to make it hard to think!

SueDonim Sun 12-Apr-20 14:03:26

Various companies sell what my dd calls ‘suit’ pyjamas, ie traditional style. You might have to search their websites but they are available, like this. www.marksandspencer.com/cool-comfort-cotton-modal-floral-pyjama-set/p/clp60428819?color=BLUEMIX

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 15:59:34

I'm slender but normally wear loose fitting clothing for comfort, no bra, and prefer cotton, wool or linen- Jumpers, tshirts, button downs, jeans- Sperry saltwaters or canvas sneakers ..

Hetty58 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:10:29

M0nica, I feel that you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I don't 'only dress to impress', I dress for comfort.

Usually, I'd dress in case of visitors but that doesn't apply now.

Obviously, I can't go out in public with PJs and no bra, so I dress appropriately for a walk with the dog. I change when I get home.

The point is that I don't need to dress in a certain way in order to feel good, fortunately!

GagaJo Sun 12-Apr-20 16:13:09

I think from my lockdown attire, that I CLEARLY only dress to 1) Keep a job and 2) Not get taken as a tramp on a daily basis.

Frankly, I have sunk to new levels of late. Do I care? Do I hell!

My self worth isn't based in my looks. It's become clear, since C19 and lockdown, that it's based on my job. I'm the happiest I've been for weeks this weekend, and I think it's because I've done some work.

paddyanne Sun 12-Apr-20 16:49:37

Like someone above ,leggings and top for exercise this morning ,then a shortish short sleeved dress that has just been chaged for a long sleeved one as its awee bit cold.Makeup and hair done after exercise and shower