Gransnet forums

Chat

Moods

(30 Posts)
Notright Wed 03-Jun-20 11:20:56

I have a brief look at the forums most mornings and to be honest I'm stopping. Why? Doesn't anyone have anything better to say than moan, moan, moan.
Has no-one got anything positive, happy or cheerful going on in their lives. There must be something funny next doors children did, rather than something naughty they did. Or what reading has cheered you up lately; or what book do you recommend to take the reader away from all this.
Please, feeling sorry for yourself only leads to misery. Spoil yourself - watch TV all day instead of worrying about cleaning the bathroom, accompanied by a couple of glasses of wine. Play cards with your husband or partner. If you've got older grandchildren get them to organise a weekly meet-up with the family. I promise you that is fun.
But look out of the window on our sunny days at the beautiful blue blue sky that will once again disappear once planes start flying and cars fill the road. Listen to the birds.
We can't change things so enjoy what you can do please. Keep Safe everyone.

Polly73 Thu 19-May-22 17:30:59

There is a lot for which to be thankful you say, Puzzled, but what if your partner has just died, what if you are in constant pain, what if one of your AC or DGC are unwell? Most people are not choosing to be dissatisfied with their lives, they’re struggling to deal with any number of problems and difficulties.

mokryna Thu 19-May-22 17:24:57

Puzzled why bring up this post started in lockdown
Some people need help after not being enable to get out to do their usual activities. They should be able to say how they feel, if they can’t get it off their chest here where can they?

Puzzled Thu 19-May-22 16:54:31

It saddens me to find that SO many posters seem to be dissatisfied with partner, family, love life, neighbours, etc.
They miss an awful lot of pleasure, and friendship.

Monday was our 58th Wedding Anniversary, and we enjoyed it!
(Ate too much at the meal out!)
Went out yesterday for the day and saw a film which we both enjoyed.
We are not rich by many standards, but we realise that we are better off than some others. So we support a number of charities, each in a small way.
We are grateful for our family and for what we have in health and finance terms.
As we age, we do have health problems which reduce what we can do, but ENJOY what you can do and where you can go!
The level in your glass shows that it is half full, not half empty.

There is a lot for which to be thankful.

Baggs Thu 17-Feb-22 19:39:46

Not a waste if we've learned something - to look at dates on OPs smile

Kim19 Thu 17-Feb-22 19:32:26

Goodness....... I must try to remember to look again the opening date. What a waste of my time and a piece of nonsense.

sodapop Thu 17-Feb-22 19:30:21

I was going to say how irritatingly patronising I found the original post when I realised how old it was. Different perspective then.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Feb-22 17:47:39

It's 18 months old
Just saying .....

Some posters may not be on here any more.

Oldnproud Thu 17-Feb-22 17:27:04

vegansrock

sussexborn your post is a good example of sniping and criticising at those who you dislike And name calling too- “the haters”. I am surmising you just mean those you do not agree with.
Can you please point to an example of a “light hearted thread” which has been “hijacked” and made unpleasant? There’s plenty on cooking, gardening, sewing, fashion and others which don’t follow your negative interpretation.

I totally agree with your first paragraph.

This is both a negative, and a judgemental thread!

Marydoll Thu 17-Feb-22 17:17:02

Baggs

PS Check out the Glasgow meetup thread for cheerfulness.

I was just about to say that, Baggs and the Wordle one.

I agree there is some negativity and unpleasantness on GN at present, but I just avoid those threads now, unless I feel very strongly about something.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Feb-22 17:13:52

I think this thread was started in the first lockdown, not sure.

At least some people were enjoying themselves, Notright - Boris and his pals were having lovely parties. He had one on my birthday, hope he enjoyed it and raised a glass to me smile.

There are some pleasant threads about books, crafts etc, the Good Morning thread etc.

Kim19 Thu 17-Feb-22 17:09:20

I'm with dragonfly on this. There are places full of cheer. Try Michael's daily good morning.

Baggs Thu 17-Feb-22 15:14:34

PS Check out the Glasgow meetup thread for cheerfulness.

Baggs Thu 17-Feb-22 15:13:43

lemongrove

Merlot I have enough of discussing news and politics with Mr L and family and friends, and with so much going on now regarding the virus, I find too much of it is overload.?
For those who live alone though, it may be good for them to
‘Chew the fat’ on here.

Good point that about chewing fat.

Baggs Thu 17-Feb-22 15:12:06

Sorry (not sorry! ?) but you said it was a no corona zone and YET finished the OP with "keep safe". Tut tut. Yes, I am going slightly demented about being told to stay or keep safe.

Hey ho.

Florabunda60 Thu 17-Feb-22 14:29:18

I've recently found a fresh author. She is Annie Murray.
I enjoyed "Chocolate Girls" and "Bells of Bourneville Green". The second title being a sequel to the first.
Very restorative reads both.
I found "Chocolate Girls" by Annie Murray on sale in Sainsbury's.

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 23:16:29

Sussexbornflowers

Gajahgran Wed 03-Jun-20 12:57:30

I often look at the old poem Desiderata. It is very calming. It's easy to find online.

vegansrock Wed 03-Jun-20 12:57:19

sussexborn your post is a good example of sniping and criticising at those who you dislike And name calling too- “the haters”. I am surmising you just mean those you do not agree with.
Can you please point to an example of a “light hearted thread” which has been “hijacked” and made unpleasant? There’s plenty on cooking, gardening, sewing, fashion and others which don’t follow your negative interpretation.

Sussexborn Wed 03-Jun-20 12:01:24

I limit myself on GN now because the doom and gloom merchants have overwhelmed the forum. If anyone attempts a light hearted subject you can guarantee that the haters will hijack it within half a dozen cheerful responses.

I do feel sorry for them because the bitter mindset must make their lives a misery for themselves and anyone who has to be in contact with them. It amazes me how one will hijack any new positive threads and then their gang pile in one after the other with the repetitive tedious put downs.

I admire Lemongrove and others who refuse to be cowed by the cyber bullying that wrecks the most innocuous of upbeat posts but presumably the nastiness is so deeply ingrained that it is their default setting.

GrannySomerset Wed 03-Jun-20 11:52:05

I have been cheered today by a telephone conversation with a friend who tells me that one granddaughter is expecting her first baby and another has landed a good graduate job. So lovely to share someone else’s good news if we haven’t any of our own.

We do need to fight the thought that life as we knew it has changed for a long time, because there isn’t a great deal we can do - apart from doing what we’re told!

merlotgran Wed 03-Jun-20 11:49:42

Notright has started another thread with exactly the same OP.
hmm

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 11:46:51

Merlot I have enough of discussing news and politics with Mr L and family and friends, and with so much going on now regarding the virus, I find too much of it is overload.?
For those who live alone though, it may be good for them to
‘Chew the fat’ on here.

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:43:01

Btw this is a negative thread in itself!!

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:42:35

I don't agree all the threads are negative. You are obviously reading the wrong ones. The ones I go on are usually upbeat and amusing. I don't dip into the negative ones.

merlotgran Wed 03-Jun-20 11:41:58

I get what you're saying, Notright but I have plenty to keep me busy all day so when I log on to Gransnet I'd rather visit threads that discuss current affairs, even if they are depressing.

I tend to avoid the ones that seem trivial by comparison (apart from gardening!)

I don't have a negative bone in my body but that doesn't mean I avoid unpleasant subjects. I believe problems are best tackled head on even though there's nothing we can do about the USA other than watch in horror.

Why not avoid the threads that upset or irritate you?