Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you get yours?

(63 Posts)
H1954 Mon 14-Sep-20 07:39:37

I was thinking about value for money, making things go further and generally getting my monies worth recently. To be more precise, I recently cut the end off what I though was an empty tube of skin serum only to find enough left for a further week! So, GNetters, a lighthearted opportunity to share how you "get your monies worth".

Calendargirl Mon 14-Sep-20 08:28:28

Always rinse out bleach bottles, washing up liquid containers, anything like that to get last few drops. Also decant hand cream and such upside down into new container to drain in.
I turn rubber gloves inside out if necessary to extend their life, even if it means an odd pair, if you follow me.

Nortsat Mon 14-Sep-20 09:03:44

We generally use kitchen paper as napkins, when it’s just the two of us, at mealtimes.
If my partner hasn’t really used his napkin much at lunchtime, he uses it again at supper time! I tease him about this, quite a lot.

Our recent delivery of kitchen roll was a different brand (substituted by the supermarket) and it’s huge rolls, much bigger than our usual brand. They are so big, it seems wasteful, so I have been cutting the pieces in half to make two napkins.
Now I can’t live this down ... and am being called ‘2 Napkins Norts’ ...

Teetime Mon 14-Sep-20 09:45:38

I use kitchen roll as napkins too but not for dinner when we have a proper meal.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:54:44

I have read that when doing the laundry only one tablespoon of washing powder is required. I use those Colour Catcher tissues which prevent 'bleeding' and cut them in half so that they go twice the distance if you understand me. A friend uses them more than once if there's nothing on them.

kwest Mon 14-Sep-20 09:55:49

I love this thread, I cannot think of any tips just now, I am sure I will when I think about it, but I love learning from others how to 'get better value'. Surely being of a certain age, we all have valuable information to share?

crimpedhalo Mon 14-Sep-20 10:08:12

We fill a flask of hot water to use for drinks instead of refilling the kettle.

Lupin Mon 14-Sep-20 10:36:28

I use a lip brush to get every bit of lipstick out of the case.
I also use the upside down trick to get as much as possible from hand wash, table sauces, shampoo and conditioner etc. etc.
I also mend my clothes, which seems to be a lost art. However, I can't knit - only very, very slowly.

Hellsbelles Mon 14-Sep-20 10:37:17

Yes to using much less washing powder / fabric conditioner than stated. I live in a very soft water area and can easily use 50% less and not notice any difference to the end result.
Also and I know it might make some people shudder , but do we need to wash clothes as often as we do ? Jumpers , tops , dresses etc if still clean can be re-worn a few times before washing.

Also only ever use 2nd class stamps, just send cards a few days early ( I do still like to send cards ) I know it would be even cheaper to just send a text !

bongobil Mon 14-Sep-20 10:44:41

Cut toothpaste and hand cream tubes in half to get a bit more out when you think they are finished. Take a reuseable bottle of water out with you to save buying bottles of water.

Notinthemanual Mon 14-Sep-20 10:45:07

Thank you H1954 I love threads like this.

I live in a hard water area and add a spoon of soda crystals to the soap powder draw. I need much less powder and it prevents gunk building up in the drawer.

Old towels and T shirts are saved for cleaning cloths.

And if any single ladies out there haven't switched to a water meter yet - do. You'll save a lot of money

nipsmum Mon 14-Sep-20 10:48:17

I use elderly tea towel as napkin it dose a few time and gets washed. If friends come I have paper napkins then. I don't use softener in washing machine, its not necessary. All bottles and containers are turned upside down and rinsed for extra drops. To save electricity I only hoover once a week, boil only enough water for what is required. Only put on the washing machine when I have a full load. Don't have a dishwasher.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 10:51:25

I cut across leaky rubber gloves to make various loops. They are great rubber bands. The big ones near the cuff are particularly useful but all different sizes can be made from one glove!

Kate1949 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:52:10

When a bottle of foundation appears empty, I prise the top off and use a cotton bud or spoon handle and usually get at least another week out of it. I also squeeze the life out of tubes of toothpaste!

inishowen Mon 14-Sep-20 10:54:08

I'm a knitter but I buy all my yarn at charity shops for around 50p a ball. Once I have the yarn I decide what to make, depending on the amount.

Phloembundle Mon 14-Sep-20 10:54:27

I roll the toothpaste tube up and use a peg to keep it there to get every bit of my expensive paste out. I cut j cloths in half. I stopped using shower gel mainly because the scents are too strong, and now use an unfragranced Dove beauty bar, which lasts forever, moisturises and does my face as well.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:54:50

Water meter, has saved us money

Kamiso Mon 14-Sep-20 10:54:56

Good idea on the colour catchers! I have make up wipes for our non-happening holiday. Unless I am wearing mascara (increasingly rare occurrence) I tear them in half.

I use much less hair conditioner. Not even a teaspoon full and my hair looks much better for it. I used to smother my hair in it and leave it on to for hours.

NemosMum Mon 14-Sep-20 10:58:23

I get LIDL dishwasher tablets and cut them in half (make sure they're kept away from children). Half tablet does a perfect job!

Riggie Mon 14-Sep-20 11:05:55

We rarely buy kitchen roll (and dont use napkins!) but use washable cloths in the kitchen - cut up old tea towels/thirts etc along with some well washed j-cloths.

BelindaB Mon 14-Sep-20 11:13:55

I have a gadget I bought many years ago from Lakeland that rolls up toothpaste tubes etc and makes sure you get every last atom out - when it gets up to the shoulder I remove it and squeeze the last bits out manually.

If you are using a spray polish for wooden furniture, DON'T spray it directly onto the surface. Spray it onto the duster instead. It will go further and you won't get silicate build up.

Lexisgranny Mon 14-Sep-20 11:18:53

I have one of those gadgets that look like the key that opens corned beef tins. I use this on everything that comes in a tube.

Many years ago I decided to melt down stubs of lipsticks to mix into a pot and use with a lip brush. All went well until I spilt some of the boiling wax on my arm whilst taking it out of the microwave, necessitating a trip to A and E A young doctor was very puzzled as to why I should have done such a thing until two nearby nurses confirmed that they both had done so in the past. I have done it since, but took more care.

TheMaggiejane1 Mon 14-Sep-20 11:45:43

I always save the undamaged rubber glove when one gets split. Every so often it means I get a ‘free’ pair. I make breadcrumbs from stale bread and freeze them. I slice up partly used lemons and freeze these - great for G and Ts and jugs of cold water.

fevertree Mon 14-Sep-20 11:55:17

H1954 the brand "Simple" now sells their face creams, cleanser etc in small, soft pouches, it actually says on the pouch "Use every last drop". So much better than tubes!

My saving hint is that I only buy skin care products in small volume quantities because there is nothing worse than a giant micellar water bottle (or similar) that eventually ends up getting thrown out.

annab275 Mon 14-Sep-20 11:57:48

When a spray bottle of Household cleaner gets a bit empty I add some water to make it go further. Same with shampoo and conditioner. I never throw out wilted fruit and veg- they become soup or smoothies.