Gransnet forums

Chat

6 minutes of exhilaration. My heart was in my mouth watching this clip

(32 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Sat 30-Jan-21 11:59:22

Trail bike rider Danny McCaskill’s latest venture filmed as he rode his bike down a steep and rocky mountainside on Skye. An amazing feat and beautifully filmed.

youtu.be/4Ym2F-tHdkk

biba70 Sat 30-Jan-21 20:10:08

Baggs

And there's the puritanical rub: no exhilerating fun allowed!

come on Baggs- that is silly. I am a sporty person and love skiing and snowboarding, and speed, adrenalin.

These guys however take it to the extreme- with extreme risks. They are usually OK, with huge support teams and sponsors, etc. And yes they rarely come badly a cropper at this level. but they serve as role models for a lot of other youngsters who just do not have the correct equipment and experience.

Totally agree about having fun, going fast, feeling the wind past your ears and your heart beating faster- but these guys have huge following and emulators.

My comment was about mountaineers and other extreme sport people needing to be just a few millimeters from tragedy and death, or they feel life is just not worth living. And that is sad. No need for those 'puritanical fun killer' comments for sure.

Baggs Sun 31-Jan-21 07:23:23

^ My comment was about mountaineers and other extreme sport people needing to be just a few millimeters from tragedy and death, or they feel life is just not worth living. And that is sad.^

I don’t agree that it’s sad. It’s not being my choice or yours doesn’t mean it’s a wrong or sad choice for someone else.

If you’ve watched other Danny McCaskell films or even just the one at the start of this thread it will become obvious that he’s not one of those anyway. Anyone who takes a film crew along with him probably has carefully worked out the safety issues. Also just watch him! Most of it wasn’t that dangerous when done with his skill. His comments and wows at the end or about the entertainment value for others.

I don’t think what Danny does is more dangerous than what acrobats in circuses do.

Baggs Sun 31-Jan-21 07:25:46

Sorry for the typos. Phone ?

Baggs Sun 31-Jan-21 07:41:00

What I should have said is that I bet Danny MacAskill has done a recce. I doubt he just carries his bike up any old mountainous slab and jumps on the bike and comes down again.

He may be a thrillseeker but he is no fool.

With regard to my comments about puritanism, yes, I probably do overreact to some of the stuff on Gransnet. There is a lot of excessive (in my view) risk aversion.

baubles Sun 31-Jan-21 09:12:18

Help ma boab! My heart was in my mouth watching that. I’ve no head for heights so I found it quite scary but what skill he showed, almost picking his way down at times. Amazing.

Baggs Sun 14-Feb-21 07:52:47

Check out this three year old's bike tricks!. Woohoo!

Wonder if she was inspired by Danny ?