Gransnet forums

Chat

The Things Children Say

(31 Posts)
Valkyrie Sun 08-May-11 16:30:41

One of our favourite "mis-sayings" that the DGD uses is "Mickey in the Piddle" instead of Piggy in the Middle.

The sad thing is that all these things that make us laugh are so transitory and they grow out of them far too quickly.

Notsogrand Sun 08-May-11 17:35:07

My 3 year old DGS 'reverses' the parts of the word already.....so will say for

example 'I've ready all done a wee Nana' smile

absentgrana Fri 13-May-11 12:59:09

I had rather forgotten about the lovely things my daughter used to say until my granddaughter had an unpleasant encounter with a bed of stinging nettles in our local park when she was staying with us. Recounting the unfortunate occurrence later she described this horrid piece of vegetation as "the pinching plant". What better description of those sore white bumps the wretched things inflict?

Nannyliz Fri 13-May-11 13:54:50

Both my grandsons called pavements "paperments".

GrannyTunnocks Fri 13-May-11 13:55:43

My granddaughter was measuring things with a measuring tape and measured Grandad and said "Grandad is 20 and a half minutes long".

harrigran Fri 13-May-11 18:52:50

My granddaughter got excited when it first snowed, she looked out of the window and shouted " look, pussy pootfrints "

Doris Sun 15-May-11 08:35:42

My younger son used to say that his Birthday was on 'twentieth of Knocked Over'

glassortwo Sun 15-May-11 09:50:23

My Granson when he first started talking, he was given a drink of water and he downright refused his drink of RAIN, he wanted milk.

BurgundyGran Wed 18-May-11 11:15:18

My granson was making musical instruments with me and I made a guitar out of a box and some elastic bands. He then asked me to make a piano!
confused

I said I couldn't so he replied that if I could make a guitar I could make a piano! hmm

Getting ready for bed he put on mismatching pyjama top and bottoms. He said Nanna these really don't go together, but J you chose them I said. Yes but they still don't go together he insisted grin

I asked him if he was wearing those for his school photo the next day. No, he said I'm wearing your nightie shock

Annika Wed 08-Jun-11 22:19:22

While watching tv a little while ago with my husband and our granddaughter the Paul O'Grady show was about to start , I said oh good I like Paul O'Grady , our gradaughter said ,,,, I like poor old lady too .

Littlelegs Thu 09-Jun-11 08:40:50

One of my children used to say "Nins and Peedles" for "Needles and Pins".

Elegran Thu 09-Jun-11 11:36:52

My nephew watched as a friend breast-fd her baby, then asked his Mum "Can she make coffee too"

Harebrain Thu 09-Jun-11 14:25:50

2nd old GS closely inspecting the grass: " Mum, look, a mouse!"
Confused mum: " where? Theres no mouse"
GS: " There, look, a wood-mouse!"

Also in his garden he has ' callapitters' and many ladybirds all called Dave! Love it!

Harebrain Thu 09-Jun-11 14:27:50

That should read: 2 yr old, not 2nd. Sorry.

Annobel Thu 09-Jun-11 18:20:20

I couldn't understand why my son always referred to money as 'ight' until I was in the corner shop and, as I handed over the cash, the shopkeeper said,'That's right'.

em Thu 09-Jun-11 19:09:54

Not a GC but my daughter (now aged 32). So memorable that it has never been forgotten. She was 3 and on a visit to the Lake Distrct where we were watching water skiiing. She yelled ' Look Mummy - a man on sticks pushing a boat with a rope!'

Jenjax Fri 10-Jun-11 09:10:39

"Oh Grandma you are a minky" is my favourite.

jangly Mon 11-Jul-11 18:20:41

My daughter just asked my 5 year old grandson how his cold has been to-day. He said "the snot has gone but the guitar is still there". Little love. grin

Baggy Tue 12-Jul-11 07:09:03

Love the coffee-machine, elegran!

Elegran Tue 12-Jul-11 08:34:08

Baggy, - the same wee boy and his pal were later discovered with their jumpers pulled up and teddies clutched to their skinny bosoms.

Grandmacool Tue 12-Jul-11 09:55:09

I was in hospital a few years ago and my GD came to visit me with her Grandpa... she asked me if I was having a baby, when I asked her why, she said ``because you have a fat belly`` (grin)

Baggy Tue 12-Jul-11 09:57:40

elegran, smile

janthea Tue 12-Jul-11 11:32:16

My youngest daughter (now 35yrs old!) would always drop the 's' from words. So we had 'nakes' 'nails' 'tepping tones' and 'paghetti' smile

Baggy Tue 12-Jul-11 11:48:02

My youngest daughter called spaghetti 'pissgetti'; other pasta was 'spada' — right sounds, wrong order. Bacon was 'quin', and penguin 'guinguin'.

Annobel Tue 12-Jul-11 12:42:18

Peatot, poas, pous were, of course, my elder DS's words for teapot, soap and soup when he started to speak.