Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Mobility Allowance for disabled under 65's

(3 Posts)
AndyMall Mon 09-May-11 12:48:29

Did you know . . .
The Mobility Allowance provided by the Department of Work & Pensions will provide you with a new car every 3 uears plus all expenses except Fuel if you qualify!

To make a claim you must be: -
1. Under 65 at the time you start the claim
2. Unable to walk more than a few paces without sticks, crutches or other walking aid.

It helps if you already hold a Blue Badge and your Doctor or Specialist must confirm your condition.

The benefit is NOT means tested! It will not affect any other benefits you may be receiving, nor will the fact that you have private means exclude you.

If you think you may qualify, contact the DWP for an application form, talk to your doctor and e-mail me for instructions on completing the form.

My e-mail is [email protected]

Once granted and assuming you don't make a miraculous recovery, you have the benefit for life.

PierreMaurice Sat 21-May-11 09:00:49

Actually the motor vehicle is provided by a charity called "Motability" which uses the maximum rate mobility component of the DLA as a lease payment. So you trade in the mobility cash component of the DLA for a new car every 3 years.

My wife is now on her third car under this scheme which is excellent!

I hope this helps.

AndyMall Sat 21-May-11 10:29:23

Thanks, Pierre (or should I say 'Merci'? for the additional clarification.

We should also add that the recipient of the Mobility Allowance does not HAVE TO use it to obtain a vehicle, if they don't or can't drive, or have alternative transport arrangements.

They can retain the mobility allowance and spend it how they wish, as an UNTAXED part of their income.