Gransnet forums

Chat

Create a Legacy

(3 Posts)
BikerDave Sun 15-May-11 12:11:44

One of the other forum subjects concerns the fact that because today's parents are having their children later in life, we are becoming grandparents later in life.
I have no wish to be morbid, but does that mean we will have fewer years to watch our grandchilden grow into full adulthood - even though we are supposed to be living longer?
One of the joys of being a grandparent is being able to tell our grandchildren stories and to pass on our thoughts and our experiences so that they will know us just that little bit better - and perhaps learn some valuable lessons.
But if our time with them is diminished - and even if it's not smile - then how can we pass on something of ourselves?
I've done/am doing four things in particular:
Written my autobiography.
Writing the family's history (people and their stories).
Keeping an individual journal for each grandchild covering their first year of life: it's a diary-cum-happenings record with memorabilia.
Writing "letters" to them, which will grow in number on a variety of topics and thoughts, and which they'll only see when they are much older - or after I'm gone! sad
All these items will be in "hard copy" and hopefully carry not only the obvious subject matter, but also a little bit of the writer.
A legacy or a waste of paper? Only the future will tell.

nanafrancis Sun 15-May-11 12:20:26

Sounds like a good idea regardless of your/their age!
I've written a sort of autobiography, as did my father, including all sorts of stories and how we did things before the electronic gadgets took over.

Doris Mon 16-May-11 18:29:18

I've done the same, creating a 'Family Tree' programme that has various downloaded photos of areas where ancesters have been - courtesy of Googlemap, great site - and I just keep adding memories as they come to me. It's also been an interesting experiment surfing the Interenet for the history of various places and people I have known in the past. My earliest memory was from being admitted to hospital at the age of 18 months so there are many memories to write about. It's quite a cathartic experience too.