Gransnet forums

Chat

Grans without computer

(13 Posts)
supernana Tue 24-May-11 13:06:49

I have been asked by a lady who does not use a computer but has many valuable counselling skills, whether or not any of we Gransnetters have any ideas re the viability of creating a getogether system for off-line Grans. I cannot come up with a sensible solution...but I promised to bring up the matter on her behalf. hmm

Magsie Tue 24-May-11 14:01:51

My sister won't use a computer but will text on her mobile- perhaps something could be worked out with texts? If time is not a factor, I was once a member of a round-robin group of 6 people where everyone wrote a letter, added it to the pack & sent it on to the next person. When the pack reached you again, you took out your last letter & put in your new one. You could put photos, patterns, recipes etc in the pack too. Maybe a mixture of letters & then texts for urgent matters?

nanafrancis Tue 24-May-11 15:23:45

Sounds like an idea to set up Gransnet local coffee mornings to show off-line grans how easy it is and what they're misssing

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-May-11 16:54:57

What a great idea, nanafrancis! Do let us know how your plans get on - we'd be more than happy to help you get off-line grannies involved online.

nanafrancis Tue 24-May-11 18:39:49

It was just an idea I thought up! It's no good to me out here in the Canary Islands unless gransnet folk are on holiday here! smile

Magsie Tue 24-May-11 21:02:29

I'd be willing to come out to the Canaries to help...

nanafrancis Tue 24-May-11 21:22:35

Super - magsie - look forward to it grin

PoppaRob Wed 25-May-11 07:11:09

In the spirit of medecins sans frontiers they could be "grands-mamans sans ordinateurs" wink

nanafrancis Wed 25-May-11 08:37:50

Abuelas sin ordenadores!

Magsie Wed 25-May-11 08:53:26

¡Muy bien nanafrancis!

dorsetpennt Wed 25-May-11 09:47:45

My local library has simple computor lessons, mainly about internet use, for any age although mainly for the elderly. I did help out for a few sessions whilst the regular lady was on leave, Some were really nervous and thought if they did the right thing the computor would blow up. The men,sorry chaps, felt they knew it all and were really difficult to help. Our libraries in Dorset also have free computors that one can use for an hour each day. I finally got my own lap top so I can access anytime I want.

PoppaRob Wed 25-May-11 14:26:33

When I worked as tech support in the school of physiotherapy at a uni here in South Australia in the late 90s I ran sessions for professionals who felt they'd missed the boat on computers. The first session was getting used to the keyboard and operating system and convincing them that they couldn't break the computer by typing on the keyboard. Second session was demystifying the Internet - explaining how and why it works. Next few sessions were using Word, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Then we had two weeks where they could try stuff in class, at home or work and ask questions about what they'd discovered and share their trials and tribulations. All good fun and raised their confidence levels no end, but I think they all got sick and tired of me telling them to save their work every few minutes and make frequent backups though.

Magsie Thu 26-May-11 11:24:08

I guess the key is why supernana's lady does not use a computer. Would she like to use one but can't afford one? I think there is a charity who will provide reconditioned computers at a very low cost. As dorsetpennt says, there are lessons in basic computer use at libraries- not sure if there is any provision for the housebound though. I have several friends who wouldn't hear of having a computer in the house for all sorts of strange reasons, so perhaps she just doesn't want one.