Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you do when you're bored?

(30 Posts)
nanafrancis Thu 26-May-11 15:18:21

I know it may not happen very often but everyone has different ways of dealing with it.
I have a jigsaw program on my pc and if I've nothing to do or I'm waiting for something to finish, I do a bit of jigsaw-ing (?). I can upload photographs and make jigsaws of my own or other folk's pictures. It really helps pass the time, if there's nothing more pressing to do.

tjspompa Thu 26-May-11 16:03:28

I log on to Gransnet !!!

mollie Thu 26-May-11 16:03:42

Oh gawd! When I'm truly bored I am awful to live with...can't find anything that hits the spot, just have to wait until it passes... when I'm looking for something to cure my mood I play online scrabble on FB or trawl the 'net looking for new and interesting blogs depending on my mood...sometimes it's arty blogs, sometimes it's house/design blogs, sometimes it's food - all depends on what hits the spot on the day...

GrannyTunnocks Thu 26-May-11 18:46:01

Eat. that's why I am joining gransnet diet on Monday.

nanafrancis Thu 26-May-11 19:04:59

Me too, granny tunnocks - that's why I resort to jigsaws! I'm also joining in on the diet on Monday.

Granieee Fri 27-May-11 09:23:26

Hello all
I go for a walk, the sea is very close smile and I go on the beach and look for sea glass. The wind and the sound of the sea , dog walkers love to chat about my simple finds (maybe they are bored too) and theie pets greet me like a long lost friend.
love and hugs

nanafrancis Fri 27-May-11 10:17:26

I walk by the sea most days too, granieee. I've got to ask! What is sea glass?

nanachrissy Fri 27-May-11 10:37:08

I go for a walk,watch tv, crosswords,read a book, read Mailonline for the gossip, facebook,gransnet, forums on loose women etc, and if I'm really desperate I MAY do some cleaning!!!!

elderflower1 Fri 27-May-11 11:25:52

OMG I am bored right now. I am looking at windows that need cleaning, kitchen floor needs scrubbing and I have a barbecue to organise for Monday but no motivation. Think I will listen to some music while playing solitaire on my computer. NB Not on ly bored but tired after looking after 2 year old granddaughter for the last 2 days.

harrigran Fri 27-May-11 11:43:26

What is this thing called boredom ? I have never heard it mentioned until I joined Gransnet.

elderflower1 Fri 27-May-11 12:10:09

Lucky you Harrigan never to have a down day

HildaW Fri 27-May-11 18:24:48

Sea glass...is ordinary glass that has been in the sea for a while....it gets washed and rubbed..turns into interesting pebbles.

Granieee Fri 27-May-11 18:49:26

Hello nanafrancis
Another beach walker tells me that its glass that has been rolled and smoothed by the sea.
I love the thought of it being sea glass.
Love and hugs

gangy5 Sat 28-May-11 11:26:46

When bored I turn to plain crisps (Kettle ones cause they taste of potato) and white chocolate. I have a 'super' spare tyre round the waist - due entirely to boredom! I eat these bad things sitting with DH in front of the TV in the evening. By this time of day unfortunately I am all done in with no energy left to do anything sensible. The TV does not hold my attention because most of it's crap the end result is that I drop off at regular intervals. 8pm onwards for me = boredom.

nanafrancis Sat 28-May-11 12:00:39

Thanks granieee and HildaW. I thought that was what sea glass was - I collect it myself and any other interesting bits and pieces I find on my walks along the shore.

yogagran Sun 29-May-11 12:22:59

What's this "diet" that Granny Tunnucks and nanafrancis talked about? I can't find any mention of it on gransnet

nanafrancis Sun 29-May-11 15:45:12

look on gransnet homepage - you'll see a link to it there, yogagran.

yogagran Sun 29-May-11 17:44:55

Thanks nanafrancis - found it and will join in. Moral support always helps smile

artygran Sun 29-May-11 19:14:08

My husband says he can always tell when I'm bored because I winge! I should be ashamed because I have always told my children that there is always something to do so there is no excuse for being bored! Should I read a book? Do my piano practice (yuk!)? Do my piano theory homework (double yuk!) Have a go at Cradle of Rome on my DS (can't put it down and so gives me RSI!)? Sort out my horrible kitchen cupboards (can't face it and they'll only be horrible again later)? None of the above and log onto Gransnet? Yes!

mollie Sun 29-May-11 20:32:23

I once made the mistake of mentioning my occasional bouts of boredom to someone who retorted that only boring people are bored...I can see what she means now but at the time I felt very hurt! And I know she was being dismissive because she added that there was always so many interesting things to do...she's right, there are lots of interesting things to do but sometimes I need something DIFFERENT to do, something that I don't normally do and so the times when I am my most bored is when I can't access anything new or interesting or challenging or stimulating...then I pace about the house like a caged bear and am probably not a nice person to be around...

Catkins Mon 27-Jun-11 22:40:35

I do not usually get bored in the Summer as I can go out most days or if I stay at home,I potter around the garden but the winter is a different matter so I usually keep the indoor jobs to do when the weather is bad,like cleaning out cupboards or the odd bit of decorating and this year I will have Gransnet to keep me occupied for a few hours each day.I also enjoy jigsaw puzzles or a good book.

numberplease Tue 28-Jun-11 00:49:16

Apart from doing a bit of silver surfing, I read, read, read.

Joan Tue 28-Jun-11 07:00:05

I'm rarely bored, and when I am, it is caused by feeling depressed, not by being short of something to do.

I go out and muck around in the garden, or sit in and read. Sometimes I just sit and have a think.

Littlelegs Tue 28-Jun-11 12:09:38

I go for a walk with the dog, like Numberplease I read, read.

GoldenGran Tue 28-Jun-11 14:40:03

I read, log on here,go for a walk. I'm not sure I'm ever really bored. And for me cleaning is a necessity I put off until I really have to, never an answer to boredom!