Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate shopping!

(8 Posts)
shysal Sat 28-May-11 09:54:36

Am I a freak ? I just do not enjoy shopping. The only form I like is on line auctions. You can see the complete range and compare prices without leaving your home. On the odd occasion I have to go into the town centre to choose clothes or a present, I hate the crowds and noise and can't wait to leave.

gangy5 Sat 28-May-11 10:37:10

NO - you are no freak shysal - I will join your club. I very rarely go shopping for clothes - only when the current ones are stained and threadbare. Currently I don't have many occasions to get really dressed up. When I do get a 'posh' invitation I then have great difficulty finding something decent to wear.
I hate supermarket shopping - fortunately DH loves it so I pack him off with the shopping list - mind you I don't allow him to buy much fresh food there. The one thing I do enjoy is wandering round real 'foodie' shops.
When we have to buy household things I will reluctantly liaise with DH and we go shopping together but I wouldn't say I enjoy it.
Like you I purchase alot of items on line now.

hennothefirst Sat 28-May-11 11:07:10

Can I join the gang too?Hate shopping to bits. Which is not to say I don't like new stuff though, like you gangy5 I don't have much need for posh stuff. I'm more the gardening, camping, hiking type. Ditto re grocery shopping too. Sadly, where I live it's difficult to get supermarket deliveries so at pres I do the needful and then DH tops up on all the things I've (a) forgotten or (b) not got because I got to the point where I thought "Bugger this! Enough!"

nanafrancis Sat 28-May-11 16:45:18

Can I join too?
Shopping here can be a nightmare.
It frequently takes all morning to get in and out of one supermarket with a few items. Having said that, the meat counter has butchers who cut the meat as you want. Same with the deli. Everything is freshly sliced and packaged for you, not shrouded in plastic in a chill cabinet.

glassortwo Sat 28-May-11 17:35:39

I'll join, cant stand any kind of shopping, but it has to be done.

HildaW Sat 28-May-11 21:33:44

Shysal..........thank heavan for internet. We have moved house twice in last two years and so much has been done online. John Lewis, M&S and Amazon have done very well. That being said we now live out in the wilds and although our local shops are pretty basic they are so much better to visit for the basics. The butcher knows where the beef came from. The local craft shop sells a range of highly individual gifts and cards and you learn all about the makers. Even the bank clerks of the local branches are much more friendly, the only problem being that because every thing is centralised they have no control over your requests because some numpty at another (far bigger) office has to actually do the job. We waited 3 months for an account to be closed - and when we sent an official complaint got nothing in reply! The upshot of all this is I dont miss the High Street of the City I left. I research what I need on line and get it from a supplier who delivers. Fresh food I buy locally and the odd basics store cupboard stuff comes from a small local super market. I dont browse or window shop, its no longer a pleasure because so few places understand good service.

Granieee Sun 29-May-11 13:49:28

Hello all
I thought that I was the only one smile
I can find everything on the internet, whats the point in going to the shops when you dont have the choice. Also free delivery free returns, its a 'no brainer 'in my opinion.
Our lovely daughter loves a bit of retail therapy and I do go with her, eg bag carrier, personal shopper etc smile and I do enjoy the scone and tea and the chatter.
Fresh food? Out SIL has an allottment, I love gardening and really really really enjoy harvesting and making veg soups and quiches (they also have chickens for the eggs) We share the weeding and the sun and fresh air is lovely.
Love and hugs

hennothefirst Sun 29-May-11 14:20:55

My mum, 83 next month, used to say that washing was the biggest chore for her because small local shops would deliver. Now modern washing-machines have made laundry much easier and it's shopping that's the boring chore. Internet is gradually making that easier too. :-)