Gransnet forums

Chat

Creative language explored

(32 Posts)
Elegran Tue 07-Jun-11 14:36:28

Thank you baggythecrust for letting me know that this thread is under other subjects. I had already looked for it everywhere in vain when it occurred to me to look back at the bad language thread for a clue. Tracing posts is not easy.

I need time to think up some clever contributions.The only one that falls into my mind is "aroint thee witch, the rump-fed ronyon cries" from Macbeth. I don't think it meant that the ronyon ate a lot of rump-steak.

I remember our whole French class back in about 1952 fell about laughing when asked to translate "bottes d'asparges" Turned out it just meant "bunches of asparagus" but it became the expletive of choice for a year or so. It was nice and explosive - and perfectly respectable if parents asked what it meant.

My DH has chipped in with a memory (also somewhere in the fifties) of camping in a small tent with several friends. Most of them were chainsmokers, and the only non-smoker in the gang got so fed-up with being unable to breathe that he exclaimed "You are a lot of bucking fuggers"

supernana Tue 07-Jun-11 14:18:49

twizzle I'm never ceased to be surprised and humoured by your contributions. I believe that this thread has great promise...use of clever words that bring a smile to the face smile

Joan Tue 07-Jun-11 14:12:35

They're good ones - but then, we all know Shakespeare had a way with words, don't we??

As an early teenager my ultimate swear expression was 'knickers and spit' or just 'knickers'. Of course, if you'd seen our school knickers back then, you'd understand the power of the garment as a swear word.

Now as a 66 year old, I still don't say anything worse that 'shit' when under duress. I sometimes say it in German because it sounds worse. To tell the truth, I'm pretty bad at swearing - anything worse than that makes me sound like an amateur.

getmehrt Tue 07-Jun-11 14:09:13

King Lear has another great line - not particularly creative, but often quite useful:

"Howl, howl, howl!"

supernana Tue 07-Jun-11 14:05:41

baggythecrust...love it...I shall etch this quote in my memory bank smile

twizzle Tue 07-Jun-11 14:05:05

baggythecrust! - good idea.

My favourite is from Henry IV Part 2

"You scullion, you rampallian, you fustilarian, I'll tickle your catastrophe"

No idea what it means though !!!

baggythecrust! Tue 07-Jun-11 13:38:31

Elegran and I think playing with words is fun. We think a little creativity is required for when beautifully expletive language is required. Some people don't like the words commonly used nowadays so let's check out some old ones and maybe invent some new ones..

I'll kick off with one of my favourites from Shakespeare's King Lear, spoken by the man himself:

"Blasts and fogs upon thee!"