Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Film: The Way

(3 Posts)
geekygran Thu 09-Jun-11 12:50:02

We went to see the film 'The Way' last night and I thought it was worth recommending. It stars Martin Sheen as a 60+ doing 'a long walk'. There's lots of lovely scenery and an uplifting ending.

''An American doctor named Tom Avery (Sheen) sets out on the famous Camino de Santiago trail in the Pyrenees to retrieve the body of his son, who perished in a tragic accident while attempting to complete the ancient Christian pilgrimage.

What begins as a journey of grief, however, soon takes on a profoundly spiritual meaning, as following his son's footsteps leads Tom to discover more about himself as a father and, indeed, as a man''

It's based on this book by Jack Hitt: Off the Road: A Modern Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain.

crimson Thu 09-Jun-11 13:32:36

Seeing it next week; have long had a fascination with the Camino and have read a few books about it...something I've always wanted to do myself [but not all of it]. Heard some music on the radio years ago, Phil Pickets Pilgrimage to Santiago; got hold of the music and have played it a lot since. Very uplifting.

crimson Tue 14-Jun-11 22:58:15

Saw it tonight; thought it was lovely, a mixture of tears and laughter and the music was pretty good too. Will check out the book.