Gransnet forums

Chat

Wimbledon addicts

(107 Posts)
Annobel Mon 20-Jun-11 18:57:57

Trying to deflect from House and Home forum - it didn't seem to quite fit. All ready on the sofa? Pymms at the ready? Bowl of strawberries waiting in the fridge?

Notsogrand Mon 20-Jun-11 19:08:48

Well....I'm on the sofa, but the heating is on so a hot toddy may be more appropriate than Pymms.
Come on Andy!

GoldenGran Mon 20-Jun-11 19:18:04

Annobel, I have eaten the strawberries, forgone the cream, see diet forum,but haven't managed to watch any today. Anything worth watching in the highlights? How do you feel about Andy Murray, what is it about that I find so unappealing? Does it make me unpatriotic to want anyone but him to win?

GoldenGran Mon 20-Jun-11 19:31:34

Have just read this with one eye on Wimbledon, and I have decided it is unpatriotic and I will try harder to love Murray. Go Andy Go.

Annobel Mon 20-Jun-11 19:44:29

As I am Scottish I have to concur that it is unpatriotic, GG, but he isn't playing his best at this moment, is he?

GoldenGran Mon 20-Jun-11 19:55:00

No he isn't, but I promise I will learn to love him, I am Scottish too. H e does often start badly, let,s hope he makes a comeback, I suggest he starts now!

GoldenGran Mon 20-Jun-11 20:54:12

Ok. Well done Andy, he really can play good tennis, he has a tendency to shaky start though!

Annobel Mon 20-Jun-11 20:54:37

He did! I think someone lit the blue touch paper after the middle of set 2!

toothfairy Tue 21-Jun-11 12:30:57

Are the Williams sisters in the same draw again?When they are both in the final i cant watch as you just know that daddy has already decided which one wins.I like Andy but dont think he can win this major.
Got the strawb's and the pimms,ready to go wine grin

shysal Tue 21-Jun-11 13:14:15

Obviously Andy Murray is a great player, No. 4 in the world I think, but I cannot like his shouting and air punching, it seems very unsportsmanlike.
I watched a TV programme the other evening about Wimbledon in the past. There were some wonderful players and it brought back some good memories. There have been some great characters over the years, most of whom were gentlemen (forget about Connors and McEnroe !). The mosy entertaining matches were the mens' doubles where they just had fun!, especially the Australians like Newcombe and Roache.
I have less interest in the game now, so do not know all the players, so prefer to watch highlights only.

Jenjax Tue 21-Jun-11 13:14:36

What's wrong with me, I'd rather watch paint dry. Prefer a good book anyday, so it's out in the garden with William Boyd, bliss.

Annobel Tue 21-Jun-11 13:28:05

Nothing wrong with you Jenjax, we can see you through the window, but look out! Rain is forecast. Love William Boyd. One of the real story-tellers, unlike some I could mention.

Jenjax Tue 21-Jun-11 13:32:06

There isn't any rain where I live, here in sunny Spain it's 30 on our terrace, sorry don't mean to rub it in.

toothfairy Tue 21-Jun-11 13:37:40

Jenjax,what you doing on Wimbledon Addicts ??maybe the Book Club thread would welcome you wink

pompa Tue 21-Jun-11 13:51:59

Heading down to summer house, Pymms in hand, ready for an afternoon of tennis.

toothfairy Tue 21-Jun-11 13:58:39

Steady on the pymms pompa,dont want you having to spend the night in the summer house smile

supernana Tue 21-Jun-11 14:19:23

Roger for manners, flair, style and athleticism smile
Rafa for oomph and phwoar! wink
Andy for being true to himself - a Scot with huge talent and a lovely smile [when he's in the mood] grin
Andy Roddick for putting his heart and soul into a match wine
Williams sisters...Um, my time to leave and catch up on the housework!

effblinder Tue 21-Jun-11 16:12:45

I agree on the phwoar factor for Rafa, supernana!

GoldenGran Tue 21-Jun-11 16:14:05

Am back near the sofa, ironing in front of the tennis. Agree with you supernana on Roger, Rafa and Andy R., but can't say I've noticed Andy M. ever smile! Would be good if he could win, but not sure he has got what it takes to go that extra little bit. As for the Williams sister....hmmmm.
Enjoy the summer house Pompa, don't know where you live, but here in London I have just glimpsed some sun, so it might be quite nice in there, Enjoy the tennis and the Pymms.

Annobel Tue 21-Jun-11 17:09:24

Just back from a meeting in time to see the end of the Federer match, now for Djokovic. Sorry to have missed most of the Serena Williams match. How many people would be back on the Centre Court less than a year after all that trouble with her foot injury and a clot on the lung? I don't think she is in good enough form to win this year though I wouldn't put any money on it!

GoldenGran Tue 21-Jun-11 17:12:50

I agree she is a tough cookie. Will anyone beat Federer,I 'm a Djocovic fan. I would like him to win.

supernana Tue 21-Jun-11 17:18:14

Happy viewing...wish we could all enjoy strawberries, clotted cream and a tall glass of Pimms smile

rosiemus Tue 21-Jun-11 17:29:51

Does anyone think Andy will actually do it this year - or will it be yet another oh-so-near miss?

Annobel Tue 21-Jun-11 18:45:48

Anyone's guess, rosiemus; having seen the three top seeds, I can only say that my fingers are crossed. He is certainly in the right frame of mind and if he can play the way he did when he made mincemeat of Roddick at Queen's, then who knows?

GoldenGran Tue 21-Jun-11 18:52:06

I think he knows it is this year or never, he has Queens behind him, that had got to help.