Gransnet forums

Chat

Acting my age....?

(78 Posts)
jogginggirl Tue 28-Jun-11 08:01:41

Feeling quite excited about going to see Take That this evening.............has anyone else been?

Notsogrand Tue 28-Jun-11 09:31:01

jogginggirl I would love to be going with you, have a great time!

gkal Tue 28-Jun-11 10:15:59

I have never seen them live and wasn't even bothered about them the first time round. Now in my 60s I find them absolutely amazing!

lucid Tue 28-Jun-11 10:50:44

Have a brilliant time jogginggirl - I know 2 people who have been and they raved about the concert. I went to see Robbie a few years ago and he was fantastic but couldn't get tickets this time.sad

jogginggirl Tue 28-Jun-11 12:40:19

Saw Take That a few years ago when my daughter got some last-minute tickets - they were great. What I am really looking forward to tonight is seeing Robbie Williams as well as the rest of the boys. Fingers crossed for a dry evening smile

Joan Tue 28-Jun-11 13:30:03

I don't know how to act my age.

66 sounds a bit on the old side, but I feel perfectly fine.

On the morning of August 4th I'm taking part in a stage show put on by my local U3A group. I've never done anything like this when I was young, but now I have the time.

I'm writing a play too, plus I've written short stories, often full of murder and mayhem. All this has happened since I retired.

Concerts are out for me - a hearing problem I've had since an infection when I was 4, has left me slightly deaf, and with no physical tolerance of loud noise, which meant I lived through the 70s and 80s without ever entering a disco!!!

absentgrana Tue 28-Jun-11 21:56:23

I'm 61 and as far as I am concerned, this – my life, my actions, what I do, what I say, what I wear, how I look – is how 61 acts.

jogginggirl Wed 29-Jun-11 00:04:35

Well, I'm happy to say I probably didn't act my age but I had a hell of a night!! Hands sore from clapping, voice almost non-existent but OH is still speaking to me so I obviously didn't behave too badly. I have to say RW was brilliant!!...................Now..........it's Neil Diamond next - I'm really going for it in this 60th year............wink

janreb Tue 05-Jul-11 17:29:17

A couple of years ago I went to see my all time favourite group - the Beach Boys again (well those left of them). I've always been one to "get involved" at concerts and had a brilliant night despite my grandson telling me grannies can't go to concerts and my son in law (who was giving us a lift home) walked off and left us when my husband told him I had climbed over the security barrier to get autographs and say hello. (
My teenage years spent dodging security men at concerts came in very handy when I took my daughter and seven of her friends to see New Kids on the Block - who was it who managed to get right up to the stage and took photos for them? My husband said the security men didn't think anyone my age was going to mug them so left me alone. The following week we were back at the NEC to see Status Quo and all the guards were coming over to say hello. My husband wanted to know exactly what I'd been up to for them to remember me so well!!

Hattie64 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:27:14

Lucky you going to see Take That with Robbie. I love going to gigs. Its immaterial how old you are as long as you enjoy it. Last year I went to see Florence and the Machine and thought her brilliant, it was at Latitude and I was clapping and yelling along with all the rest.

GrannyTunnocks Tue 05-Jul-11 22:53:14

Just noticed this thread. I went to see Take that in Glasgow and they were brilliant. As accommodation was so expensive these few days I stayed in the Youth Hostel, 4 of us in a room with an en-suite. Needless to say I bagged a bottom bunk. I have also seen Boyzone and Westlife. What next?

Joan Wed 06-Jul-11 06:38:43

I'm literally not acting my age on August 4th. Our local U3A winter expo is 'A morning with Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe'. We are doing a short extract from 'The Importance of Being Earnest' ie the proposal scene, and I'm Gwendoline!!! Other stuff involves an imaginary dialogue between Wilde and Poe in the afterlife, in an integrated heaven and hell, a couple of their poems, a skit on Annabel Lee and The Raven, some music, and finally a short poem I wrote, extolling the value of 'bad boys'. I just picked up my Mick Jagger Tshirt today. The other lass performing (rapping) the bad boys poem with me will be wearing her Jim Morrison Tshirt.

Joan Wed 06-Jul-11 06:40:21

PS We'll be celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary the day after the concert, August 5th, on the assumption my husband hasn't disowned me.

nonnasusie Thu 07-Jul-11 14:15:58

to quote the old "Clarke's" shoe ad. "act your shoe size not your age!! In my case 37 european (4 British)!!

Annika Thu 07-Jul-11 22:25:54

Age only matters if you are a cheese. grin

pompa Fri 08-Jul-11 06:58:45

Annika, if you are feeling older than the age your brain says you are, don't forget cheese improves with age. I'm nowhere near mature yet grin

Annobel Fri 08-Jul-11 07:18:15

pompa, yesterday I took something very niffy out of my fridge which I think used to be cheese... grin

pompa Fri 08-Jul-11 07:27:21

Ah - that could be the flaw in my theory -- maybe that's why I seem to have less friends as I get older [phew]

absentgrana Fri 08-Jul-11 09:18:55

Annika …and wine wine

greenmossgiel Fri 08-Jul-11 09:45:38

But pompa, like cheese, friendships can grow much stronger as they age!! Cheesy grin coming up - grin

BurgundyGran Fri 08-Jul-11 11:01:58

Acting what age? the age you are, the age you feel or the age you wish you were.

I might be disabled, in pain etc but that doesn't stop me from indulging. I love music from classical to rock and I listen to what I fancy depending on how I feel. When a Queen tribute band came to a nearby city I was there clapping, singing and generally enjoying myself.

I dress to please me. Not always easy to find clothes that fit but I do my best. My idea of retirement is to chill, enjoy life and do what YOU want not what is expected of you.

puddings1 Fri 08-Jul-11 11:37:08

Act my age 63, never!
My Gransdon tells me I will never to old, its official he is 9!
I am a founder member of the raging against aging club.
At 63 you are too old to be young and too young to be old, not a bad motto.

Annobel Fri 08-Jul-11 13:14:45

How does a septuagenarian act? I have no idea. I only know how I act from one minute to the next! I might have been more responsible at half my present age when I had a job and a young family.

Annika Fri 08-Jul-11 13:55:08

absentgrana if I have enough wine I am convinced that I am 30 wink

pompa my brain says I am about 20 its the body that wants to dispute that confused

BurgundyGran you are right just enjoy life and now is the time to do what you want. I also saw a Queen tribute band (would have loved to see the real Queen ) a few years ago I danced all the time they were on stage it was wonderful smile

betsysgran Fri 08-Jul-11 16:50:50

Just noticed this thread. Got very wet as it poured but it was GREAT!!! Not a real fan in the early days but love them now. Went to see them the night before an operation - great way to take your mind off things!!