Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else got a Beko fridge?

(23 Posts)
Oxon70 Wed 06-Jul-11 08:45:47

Possible danger in the news recently.
Their free phone line is impossible to get through on.....but their address is online, even though they seem to have disabled their 'contact us' link.....check their details online though, yours may not be one that's dodgy.

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 15:37:29

I have a Beko fridge - what's the problem with it, Oxon70?

numberplease Wed 06-Jul-11 16:23:43

Greenmossgiel, some of the models, not all, are reckoned to be a potential fire hazard, it was on the news yesterday.

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 16:57:57

OOOH! We've had ours for a few years now. I'll try and find out more about it on the internet, then. Thanks. shock

marsco Wed 06-Jul-11 18:01:35

Greenmossgeil.it seems to be the fridge freezer type and built between 2000 and 2006

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 18:16:39

I'll have to have a look at my booklets (if I can find them....) confused

crimson Wed 06-Jul-11 19:55:44

I've got a Beko fridge [thankfully not a fridge freezer] and it's awful. The shelves break quite easily and food in the fridGe seems to freeze even though the fridge thermometer tells me it's 5% [the temp it's supposed to be?]. Just going to check that my son hasn't got a Beko fridge/freezer.

crimson Wed 06-Jul-11 19:59:15

oH; JUST READ i shouldn't keep cucumber in the fridge anyway [that's new to me] so not the fault of the fridge.

crimson Wed 06-Jul-11 20:11:06

oooops; me capitals are out of control.....

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 20:18:12

Can't find my booklets - I'm going to have to pull the thing out! Oh - I can just imagine the mess underneath it....! shock grin

twizzle Wed 06-Jul-11 20:23:32

crimson, if your fridge is freezing the food, try turning the thermostat down.
Fridge temperature should be between 0 and 5 degrees.

smile

Littlelegs Wed 06-Jul-11 20:56:37

If you go to the Beko website it gives you the serial numbers of the appliances that are at fault. They will repair free of charge.

Oxon70 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:21:36

From their site: "The BEKO frost free fridge freezer models affected were manufactured between January 2000 and October 2006. These have a serial number that begins with either 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 or 06. and this information can be found on a label inside the fridge (on the left). Beko is making a free of charge modification to all affected models, this modification takes approximately 30mins."

Free phone no: 0800 009 4837 - but I have not been able to get through on it.

So I wrote to them this morning at:
Beko (UK) Ltd
Beko House
Caxton Way
Watford
Hertfordshire WD18 8UF

Apparently it is ok to go on using the appliance for now, the risk is low, but this way I stop fretting!

numberplease Wed 06-Jul-11 21:21:45

When we got our fridge freezer, about 3 years ago, it was ordered online from Asda, and was a Beko. It came with a couple of scratches on it, so we sent it back and got another, but it kept freezing stuff in the fridge as well as the freezer, and water was dripping all the time from it. We sent it back again, and this time we ordered a different make and paid the extra money. I definitely wouldn`t ever buy a Beko again.

Oxon70 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:23:19

Forgot to say, there is a list of model numbers on their site too, so check that first!

jackyann Wed 06-Jul-11 22:26:24

I went on to their site & checked the model no (it was on the back of the fridge/freezer.
We are OK

pinkprincess Thu 07-Jul-11 01:43:07

I got my Beko fridge freezer two years ago.Have checked the serial numbers and it appears I am OK.

greenmossgiel Thu 07-Jul-11 09:14:17

I can't find the model number at the back of the freezer although the serial number does begin with 03 which must mean that it's one that's affected. Can anyone tell me what serial number theirs is, please? All I could find on the label at the back were: HTK80AA, 0323,R600A,0023591 7. Does this sound like anything anyone else recognises? I've tried phoning,but no luck. I think I'll write as Oxon70 has done.

Littlelegs Thu 07-Jul-11 10:27:00

I have one of the models thast is affected. The number you require is inside the fridge on the left hand side just above the vegetable trays. That is where mine is sighted I presume they are all in a similar location.

I hope that helps greenmossgiel.

The number for Beko is 0845 6004911.

greenmossgiel Thu 07-Jul-11 10:42:53

Thanks Littlelegs! I could only find the actual serial no. but not the model no. I've just posted a letter away to them, so hopefully they'll contact me soon. I'll try that phone number that you've given me, though, because it's not the same as the other one I've been trying.

greenmossgiel Mon 11-Jul-11 13:18:55

I just had a call from Comet. They have arranged for an engineer to come out to attend to my fridge-freezer. I hadn't been able to find the receipt and couldn't remember where I'd bought it, but it looks like they'll be contacting buyers, anyway.

Oxon70 Sat 30-Jul-11 11:42:40

I wish either Comet or Beko would call me. I have 'ta'en a scunner' to ringing Beko after my ealier efforts, but it looks as if I will have to.

greenmossgiel Sat 30-Jul-11 15:04:54

Engineer came out, checked the appliance, and deemed it safe, but replaced the possibly offending part. Did you buy your fridge-freezer from Comet, Oxon70? They are supposed to contact you if so? I had written to Beko at the address you so kindly posted, but received no reply, though perhaps they knew that Comet was contacting customers.