Gransnet forums

Chat

Your views please

(15 Posts)
springwood Sat 09-Jul-11 14:22:11

Hello Folks

I am thinking of starting a reviews web site for care/nursing homes. Like TripAdvisor for care/nursing homes. I am hoping that those who have loved ones in care homes will post occasional reviews for the benefit of those searching for a Care home.

I recently had to look for a Nursing Home for my Mum and couldn't find any human comment on-line about the character of different homes.

I would love to know if you think such a resource would be useful? Also whether those who have loved ones in Care Homes would post occasional reviews for the benefit of those looking for a home?

HildaW Sat 09-Jul-11 21:18:07

All I know is that its a very tricky area, no one official wants to offer any advise. The other thing is that the needs and preferences of each person are so varied and also changeable. A perfectly marvellous place could still be highly unsuitable. However, sounds a very worthwhile project. Good luck.

greenmossgiel Sat 09-Jul-11 21:51:22

I wonder if this could be a bit of a dodgy area? The fact that medical professionals and other outside agencies such as social services, occupational therapists, etc may have a substantial input in the running of such establishments, might make it difficult to get a true picture of how the residents settle and feel about the place. What suits one, may not suit another. I don't know how to check on different establishments in England, but in Scotland each registered residential care home must be checked out regularly by the Care Commission and these have to maintain a very high standard of care (Care Standards). You can read the reviews of these establishments by going online, where there will be a list of reviews of visits by the Care Commission and what, if any, recommendations must be addressed by the next visit. It's such a tender area, finding the right place for loved ones to settle happily. I hope you can set something up that can help families. It would be a great thing, if you could get it to work! Good luck. smile

JessM Sat 09-Jul-11 21:55:29

MMm there might be mileage in your idea. An inspection report is one thing and you could link to this on the site. The other side of the coin is the personal experiences positive and negative. It could make the homes more customer aware and have a positive influence.

jangly Sat 09-Jul-11 23:17:40

Sounds a nice idea. A bit like Beer-in-the-evening. smile

harrigran Sun 10-Jul-11 00:07:49

In theory, a good idea but not sure it would work. People's expectations vary so much. A home that is perfectly acceptable to one person could fall short in anothers eyes.

susiecb Sun 10-Jul-11 09:38:18

Doesen't the Care Homes Association already do this. All the inspection reports by the Care Standards Commission (or whatever their current incarnation is) are also viewable on their website.

I managed and inspected nursing and residential homes for many years and their is no substitute in my view for several visits yourself at random times unannounced plus a trial few days by the prospective client.

greenmossgiel Sun 10-Jul-11 10:17:53

susiecb's comments sum it up, really, I think. I also worked in a supervisory position, then as a trainer of staff for nearly 25 years in an establishment for adults with severe disabilities, both physical and learning. We used to look on recommendations by the Care Commission as positives, so that we could provide a better service. However, there are so many ugly stories of the actions of poorly trained staff in all types of residential homes. This awful and frequently abusive behaviour isn't always obvious on a planned visit, by either Care Commission or prospective clients. Like susiecb says, you need to get the feel of a place by making visits when you're not expected. Does the place smell fresh and clean? Are the residents being chatted to, (or are the staff chatting to each other)? There are so very many things to check out. Perhaps having comments made by prospective clients and their families of these initial visits on your website could be really useful. I don't know what the legal implications may be though? (It would be important not to have any comment seem libellous).

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Jul-11 19:00:39

The very splendid Patient Opinion has been trying to set up a scheme like this. And there's a rather good posting about it (oh, OK, wrote it myself) here: http://ow.ly/5AR0h
There's also a link to the Patient Opinion site. There have been more practical problems with it than with simple hospital visits, I think - but it's something that would be incredibly useful.

grandmaagain Sun 10-Jul-11 19:29:01

Having had to let my father go into a home several years ago I would have found a site with general comments about local homes very helpful. The situation is a very daunting one when you have to force yourself into thinking about it so a site like the one proposed might be a good starting place. However nothing beats the "gut" feeling you get about a place on your first "surprise" visit.

FlicketyB Sun 10-Jul-11 21:37:57

Actually I think this is a brilliant idea. Yes, the Care Commission does inspect homes and used to rate them, but I think the rating has now been discontinued.

I have twice been involved in the selection of care homes and the official inspection reports are a good starting point and a visit is essential, it is only when someone lives in a home you really get a feel for it.

One of my relations was an emergency admission into care. In the first home she moved to almost all the staff were Philipinas in their 20s. They were wonderful carers, gentle and kind, but conversation was limited to caring needs because they didnt have the background to chat to residents about the recent past; tv shows that ended 10 years ago, old adverts, home gadgets, music etc. This general chit chat and conversation is so important for the mental wellbeing of care home residents, particularly when they suffer from dementia. She is now in a home where staff are more varied in age and ethnicity and the staff chat to residents much more. This gives the home a feeling of vibrancy and life because you can always hear conversations going on around the place.

These are the sorts of things that can be put on a feedback website.

However have you noticed how often when there are programmes on poor care in homes and hospitals the relatives of residents noticed events, behaviour and incidents that worried them but remained convinced their relative was being well cared for. I am not talking about those who complained and were ignored.
It reminds me of when we were choosing a school for our eldest child and a lot of friends were pleased that we lived so close to the best school in town that he was almost guaranteed a place. They would tell me what a wonderful school it was and then relate the most appalling things that had happened to their child there. They were surprised when our child went to a different school.

jangly Mon 11-Jul-11 13:49:41

Geraldine, if you click on "convert links automatically", then we can just click on it. smile

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jul-11 14:24:48

Haha, jangly! For anyone who wants to see it - ow.ly/5AR0h

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jul-11 14:29:37

Apologies for that, forgot to make the link clickable. Much good I am at all this stuff...

jangly Mon 11-Jul-11 16:58:04

grin TBH, it's not hard for us to copy and paste. You're doing a grand job. smile