Gransnet forums

Chat

Switching fuel supplier?

(4 Posts)
greenmossgiel Sat 16-Jul-11 14:49:01

I have both gas and electric supplied by Scottish Gas. I had an email informing me that my payments would be increasing by £16 per month in mid-August and although it was possible to fix prices when the new rate is applied, there would be an extra charge of 5% due to the volatile state of fuel prices at present. I've been checking out USwitch and noticed that there is a supplier called Eon Age UK. It seems to have a good feedback. Does anyone have any comments on this or any other supplier?

Elegran Sat 16-Jul-11 18:25:32

Greenmossgiel - we had a door-to-door salesman from Eon ring our doorbell a couple of weeks ago with a wonderful account in conjunction with Age Concern. Must say, we did not like his pushy sales technique, but it sounded possibly interesting. among other things he said you got a rebate for each day the temperature went below zero. we don't sign up for anything on the doorstep, so sent him away and looked at "Which Online" for ourselves.

The best companies seemed to be Ovo and Utility Warehouse, with total scores of 77% each and 5 stars (the maximum) for value for money. Next came Ebico with 72% and five stars. Eon had 49% and four stars. (also found out that you only get the zero degrees rebate on a higher tariff) The scores were for bills, customer service, encouraging efficiency, value for money, online and telephone support and dealing with queries.

greenmossgiel Sat 16-Jul-11 18:55:24

Thanks for that, Elegran I had a further look at the feedback, and decided that it (Eon Age Concern UK) wasn't as good as it had seemed to be initially. I've ended up with Npower on their dual-fuel capped price (end August 2012). I'll be saving around £150 pa, and there's no cancellation fee. Hopefully it will work ok! (Think we need an emoticon for 'fingers crossed')!

Elegran Sat 16-Jul-11 21:05:27

Hope it works out OK greenmossgiel. All of them are a bit of a shot in the dark - they move the goalposts so often.