Gransnet forums

Chat

Swan Upping on the Thames

(7 Posts)
GadaboutGran Fri 22-Jul-11 19:08:31

Just back from a fascinating afternoon on the Thames following the Swan Uppers - all in their traditional gear & Thames skiffs. All part of my effort to value events closer to home. Not many people around so a very friendly event with a really nice bunch of swan markers and old hands giving me tips on where to go. If you haven't heard of it, it is a very old ritual whereby the owners of the swans (the Queen, Vintners Company & Dyers Company) can claim ownership of the new broods of cygnets. The swans are caught, checked for injury, weighed, measured and ringed. It takes a week (always the 3rd week in July) to go up the Thames, ending at Abingdon.

More information on www.royalswan.co.uk but best to phone on the day to check progress and exact times. The crews had rather a long lunch break in the Barley Mow at Clifton Hampden today - a good place to chat to them.

jangly Fri 22-Jul-11 19:10:59

Oi - I've already done this. Half hour ago.

Though you have done it much more thoroughly. smile

jangly Fri 22-Jul-11 19:12:32

Gadabout

Did you walk along the river from the Barley Mow to Culham Lock today?

GadaboutGran Fri 22-Jul-11 20:56:07

No - but I spoke to someone who had. Was that you????
Perhaps we need a "I'm a member of Gransnet are you?" badge.

numberplease Fri 22-Jul-11 21:56:51

GadaboutGran, that`s not at all a bad idea! Then maybe on my hols I could spot Supernana in Kintyre!

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 13:30:28

Do you know - I was thinking that about a badge! Great minds!

Yes. Me and my grownup son asked a couple if they had seen enything of the swan uppers. They were walking back from the Barley Mow end.

Small world!! smile

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 13:31:06

anything. that was a typo.