Gransnet forums

Chat

Information on using black cabs.

(4 Posts)
Stillgood2go Mon 25-Jul-11 09:08:56

I'm taking my grandson to London Zoo, I would like to get a black cab from Kings X station but I'm not sure with all the regulations about car seats what the situation is. Are they allowed to take on board toddlers with buggies and grandmothers? Could someone please advise. Many thanks in advance for any answers.

nanapug Mon 25-Jul-11 18:35:15

Not sure what the actual law is but I have taken my GCs in black cabs when they were quite little. Just kept them strapped in, in their buggy. When they were a bit bigger they just sat as far back as possible on the normal seat. I agree it is a grey area and it goes against all the good practice that we do at home but I think it is easier to take a cab.

Twobabes Tue 26-Jul-11 10:58:56

I sometimes take my grandchildren in black cabs on London visits as I can't cope with tube station stairs with baby, buggy and toddler, and busy buses won't let you on with buggy unless you fold it up, which generally requires removal of infant and rapid growth of two extra arms to hold all the stuff stored under buggy for the day.
At first I was worried about safety, and safety regs, but cab drivers assure me that children are allowed in black cabs without the usual restraints. I have got used to it, repeating to myself, "This vehicle is akin to a tank" and " How often is a taxi passenger injured in slow-moving London traffic?".
Baby and accoutrements stay in buggy, which is parked in the big space. Some newer cabs have straps for securing wheelchairs and they can be used on a buggy, but you still need to keep a hand/foot on it. I hold toddler on my knee, within my seatbelt.
Good luck Stilllgood, enjoy the Zoo!

Stillgood2go Tue 26-Jul-11 17:24:48

Thank you both, I can't be bothered with buses it's too much hassle and I think my grandson would panic on the underground, especially if it was crowded. also I would probably get a little stressed myself coping with him and a pushchair. It was the only solution I could think of and you have now put my mind at ease, so here goes.