Gransnet forums

Chat

Olympics - bored already?

(35 Posts)
effblinder Tue 26-Jul-11 16:00:35

is anyone else sick of seeing the same old story every day about the Olympics? If we're going to get this amount of minutiae about how planning it is going, what will it be like when the competition has actually begun!

I know I'm a philistine - I didn't even apply for any tickets as I just can't face the number of people, stressful atmosphere etc. Anyway, please tell me this isn't just grumpy old woman me?!

JessM Fri 29-Jul-11 13:06:11

I think they are called the veterans games or something. I had an uncle who was a runner and once went to SA. Somewhere i still have an entertaining letter about his adventures when he ventured out alone, against advice.
Also i once had to wait to board a flight in Chicago, they were offloading about 8 jolly, injured, senior athletes in wheelchairs, on their way home...
Just off for a "jog" but i am still not enjoying this and so not "my event". Yoga or relaxation maybe?

bunic Fri 29-Jul-11 12:43:55

they should have a olympics for over sixties? what event would you do?

artygran Fri 29-Jul-11 07:47:29

The thought of patting John Humphreys' tummy left me feeling quite nauseous! I will probably have half an eye on the gymnastics but the rest of it is a bit of a yawn for me. I get bored to tears watching athletics. Or any sport except golf really. What really will annoy me is that the coverage will be wall to wall and you probably won't be able to find anything else to watch.........

Jacey Thu 28-Jul-11 20:16:37

I love the philosophy behind the Olympics ...the more we come together, then perhaps we see fewer differences.
I was lucky enough to attend the 1984 Olympics in LA ...the memories are still vivid ...the atmosphere was fantastic...including being out to see the 'torch' on it's journey.

I hope once it starts ...we will all 'be there' cheering on the Olympians.
I don't watch any breakfast tv for exactly the reasons quoted above ...it applies to so many 'events' in the media ...have to say that I loved the image of the welsh terrier ... but he's daily like that.
So ...'switch off' all this media hyph ...but please 'switch in' and enjoy next year.

Please go on-line to quilts4london ...I bet many of you are knitters, stitchers, quilters etc ...get making ...so every Olympian has a 'gift' from us to take home.

FlicketyB Thu 28-Jul-11 15:56:27

Like absent grana I object to the cost of the Olympics - anywhere -. Every country competes to try to produce a bigger, glitzier more expensive Olympics. All of them end up with a mountainous debt that has to be paid by the government ie you and me.

Why do we need the Olympics anyway? Every year almost every sport has a world championship somewhere. Whoever wins that is the World championship, How does that differ from getting a medal in the Olympics?

And all this rubbish about it encouraging people to take up sport, they were interviewing someone on R4 today who had done considerable research going back over five or six Olympics and in most cases in the country that had staged the Olympics there were fewer people doing sport a year after the Olympics than a year before. As he pointed out it takes a lot more to trigger the major changes to someones life necessary for them to decide to not watch television/go to the pub/go shopping etc so that they can spend several hours of their week to take part in a sport than just watching the Olympics.

biggran Thu 28-Jul-11 12:58:57

It is all the secret ways we have to pay that gets me. LloydsTSB is an Olympic2012 patner (or whatever they call it) - and who owns that bank? I do, you do, every tax payer does. So, its another way we'll be paying.

I was bored about an hour after it was announced that London had 'won' the 2012 Olympics.

Any suggestions of what we can do as an alternative to the Olympics?

Perhaps a Granny Marathon knit-in?

absentgrana Thu 28-Jul-11 11:55:49

Now they've announced that the medals for 2012 will be the biggest ever in the modern Olympics. They look like something you'd win at a fairground. What is the matter with these people?

Oxon70 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:09:43

I'll join the bored thread.
I know I will get an overdose, just like the royal wedding!

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 18:01:20

Yes, its going to be fine, ta. Splashed washing up liquid in it. NOT doing the washing up I have to add!

Yes. Smile and be nice. grin

He does overdo it. Embarrassing sometimes!

JessM Wed 27-Jul-11 17:57:45

hope eye is ok. he has his good days, but it is the determination to find the negative on all occasions that occasionally seems ott. And when he is talking out of his backside sometimes when the subject touches on science.
Smile Jess smile

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 17:29:40

Just laugh at him Jess. Imagine he's a little Welsh terrier. Think tickling behind his ears or patting his tummy.

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 17:28:05

I didn't hear much of the Today prog this morning Jess. Had to take DH to eye casualty.

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 17:26:43

I expect (hope) they'll shut up for a bit now. Isn't it because its just the year away from when it starts?

I don't know. I only half listen.

susiecb Wed 27-Jul-11 14:56:20

Sorry about former rant but the year ahead thingy made my blood boil!!! No hopefully I wont get old on the inside. I am even going to my first live rugby match in September with husband at Leicester Tigers to keep him company and look at the legs!!!

I was brought up in Stratford I wonder what our back to back terrace is worth now - not that we owned it!

absentgrana Wed 27-Jul-11 13:53:06

veryordinaryjangly (but you'll always be very special to us) Some lottery money, some corporate sponsorship, some general tax, some council tax (Londoners). Then there will be an unimaginable policing and security bill.

JessM Wed 27-Jul-11 13:35:19

I'm a fan myself but agree that getting excited a whole year ahead is OTT.
But i am always an athletics fan (like my gran before me! I remember her being excited about the 4 minute mile for several years after it happened)
I bet if you balanced out the amount of coverage on soccer in this country compared to all other sports combined the soccer would win. Paint drying does not even begin...
Yes it will be difficult to avoid hearing about it next summer - time to plan a trip maybe?
I have tickets for the first day of the athletics!
So I guess at some stage we will have an olympics enthusiasts thread and a bored thread running in parallel.
I do think it is fantastic news that all the facilities are finished on time, a year ahead of the games. Unlike Greece... where it was a scramble. This is great PR for the UK construction industry and I resented Humphreys desperately trying to be critical about it this morning. Can we never be pleased or proud about anything in this darn country?

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 12:49:06

I thought it was lottery money and money from businesses etc. that's paying for it.

Or am I being naive?

veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 12:47:41

susie so you've watched all those Olympics, cup finals etc etc and this one (ours!) turns you off!!

Don't you go getting old on the inside!

susiecb Wed 27-Jul-11 12:23:12

absentgran I do agree this mornings Breakfast news was puerileand repetetive. It was like a bLlue peter episode! Is it any wonder I am already turned off the Olympics and jangly it is not a matter of not being' open' to enjoying it. Having been married to an excellent and keen sportsman for thirty three years I have watched every Olympics, FA Cups, Rugby finals, test matches etc etc bloody etc and this is too far. What I find really really hard to swallow is how much money time and effort has gone into this at a time when we can't afford to care for our elderly, house our homeless, take any number of children out of poverty in this country, fund our NHS and rebuild our deteriorating schools. Certainly know when a Tory government is in poor - feels like the Thatcher years! Anyone OPEN to that!

Joan Wed 27-Jul-11 11:19:18

i don't get bored by the Olympics because I totally ignore it all - always have done wherever they are held. I usually haunt the video shop when they're on.

I simply don't have the sports-watching gene. I remember when I was still at high school there was a school trip to Wimbledon. I never even bothered to take the note home. Someone asked if I was going and all I could say was "Why would I?" I could not understand why anyone would want to bother, least of all me.

However, taking part in sport is another thing: I used to enjoy judo and cycling. I occasionally watch bits of the Tour de France because I love the scenery, and I've been to France a couple of times, but I soon get bored with the race.

absentgrana Wed 27-Jul-11 10:38:57

It's not so much the games themselves that I object to, although I find the stupendous cost horrifying, but all the rubbish in advance. This morning, BBC's Breakfast spent most of its time gibbering pointlessly about how London 2012 is exactly a year away. Louise Minchin (is that her name?) was acting like a muppet at the pool side, interviewing various Olympians and nobody had anything else to say other than "It's incredible", "It's astonishing" and sundry variations on the theme. Well what did they expect it to look like – a replica of the municipal baths of the 1950s? Even the guy doing the weather (Matt?) had to wax lyrical about the flowerbeds. It used to be that the first half of Breakfast concentrated mainly on news and the more magazine-like features appeared later on. That 27 July 2012 is exactly a year away from 27 July 2011 is not news.

grannyactivist Tue 26-Jul-11 23:44:07

Like Baggy I have no TV, so I can choose to inform myself what's happening, or not. As my husband and sons are great adventurers I'm sure they'll show an interest. I have mixed feelings about the worth of the Games, but I can understand other people's enthusiasm and am happy to let them enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity.

jackyann Tue 26-Jul-11 22:37:13

Like the Proms, Wimbledon, all the festivals around the country, Royal occasions; people can take part or not, enjoy them or not, we all have different tastes.
No problem coming here & venting a bit either, when it's a year away, but I'd add:
During those few, once-in-a-lifetime, weeks if you're fed up with the Olympics, please keep quiet and let everyone else enjoy it!
That's what I do with some of those occasions mentioned above that leave me quite cold!

Baggy Tue 26-Jul-11 21:16:43

Hey, OP (hi effie wink ), we have no tickets, live nowhere near and don't have a telly. And we don't feel grumpy at all, so it can't be G-O-W Syndrome on your part. grin

pompa Tue 26-Jul-11 20:36:39

We cannot wait for it to start. We got tickets for our favourite sport, judo. Would have liked to see some athletics, but failed for that. As we live less than an hour away, we had hoped to see more.