Gransnet forums

Chat

Tiredness and Food

(39 Posts)
janthea Thu 28-Jul-11 15:01:31

It's been my company's results today and I was in the office until 9.00 last night, with dinner in the hotel at 10.00 and bed around midnight. I was up at 4.30am and in the City by 6.15. Got back to the office around midday. After an exhausting day like, I never feel like eating proper food. Today my diet has been one bacon sandwich and three bars of chocolate. Do anyone else find that when they are very, very tired there are certains that they want and aren't interested in anything else? My 'tired' foods are McDonalds Big Mac and LARGE fries or M&S Ultimate Mashed Potato (I eat the whole pack - nothing else!!) blush

glassortwo Thu 28-Jul-11 15:31:11

Hot buttered toast is the only thing that I need when I feel like that.

FlicketyB Thu 28-Jul-11 15:39:22

tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce

Gally Thu 28-Jul-11 15:55:45

When I'm on my own - no Mr.Gally around and I can't be bothered to cook much, I have a whole avocado pear with vinaigrette followed by a boiled egg, a yoghurt and maybe a kit-kat and then I feel really sick - but it's fun at the time wine

janthea Thu 28-Jul-11 16:04:36

gally that sounds health! glassortwo I love buttered toast, but it has to be thick sliced white bread!

crimson Thu 28-Jul-11 16:05:12

I just pick at anything when I'm tired, although late night 'tiredness' foods seem to be crisps or ice cream [which I don't eat at any other time]. When I'm not tired I hardly eat and what I eat is pretty healthy. When I had hormones [sigh] I realised that my eating went wappy about a week before my period started...it took me years to see there was a pattern to it..again, either sweet food or carbohydrate.

susiecb Thu 28-Jul-11 16:50:37

anything with gravy in a bowl like shepherds pie, one fork, rubbish tv and a early night.

grannyactivist Thu 28-Jul-11 17:18:49

When my husband's away for a few days my eating treats are:
Fresh crab in a 'baker's shop' white bap. Yummy.
Prawns with avocado and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Fish roe on toast with a splash of vinegar.
Hmm - I've only just realised there's a theme here! shock

Annobel Thu 28-Jul-11 17:27:13

Well, GA, I never took you for a fishy character!

Annobel Thu 28-Jul-11 17:29:57

Pasta with pesto, drizzled with olive oil.

Baggy Thu 28-Jul-11 18:26:09

Coffee, flapjack (loads o' nuts), feet up, good book.

Melanie Thu 28-Jul-11 22:03:17

Cakes! Chocolate eclairs, Cream slices, Victoria sponge, Coffee cake, Carrot cake, Chocolate cake, Fruit cake and Scones with jam and cream; not all at once however. grin

glassortwo Thu 28-Jul-11 22:09:44

janthea thick white and butter!!!

artygran Fri 29-Jul-11 07:36:18

When I'm too tired to cook anything it's a whole tin of tuna with mayonnaise in a bowl with a fork. Or toast with butter, marmite and a thick layer of cream cheese with herbs. Or a peanut butter and banana sandwich on brown bread!

Baggy Fri 29-Jul-11 07:51:16

arty, I love peanut butter and mashed banana on brown bread. Ate great slabs of it when I was last pregnant. When the midwife told me I shouldn't eat peanuts I owned up and she just said: Oh well, never mind. Now it seems advice has changed (again), at least according to DD.

Zephrine Fri 29-Jul-11 08:08:14

Never tried peanut butter and banana, love peanut butter and apple though. My ultimate comfort food is (look away now if you've a delicate stomach) mashed potato, baked beans and Branston pickle.

Annobel Fri 29-Jul-11 08:36:03

Mashed banana on toast topped with marmalade. If you don't believe me, try it. Alternatively, raspberry jam on top.

Baggy Fri 29-Jul-11 09:15:49

zephrine, that mixture sounds yummy! I often add onions and sultanas to baked beans so I guess pickle is just one step up. I shall try it. Thanks for the idea.

Has anyone tried marmalade and marmite together?

janthea Fri 29-Jul-11 10:29:06

Baggy love marmalade, but hate marmite! Banana sandwichs sprinkled with sugar mmmmmmm!!!

JessM Fri 29-Jul-11 11:30:04

Heinz beans on brown toast.
made some marmalade from one of those tins of Seville oranges recently. It does taste gorgeous.

grannyscalpay Fri 29-Jul-11 16:14:37

Chocolate covered peanuts - lots of them!

Nagyi Fri 29-Jul-11 20:29:21

Hot buttered toast dunked in hot chocolate grin

greenmossgiel Fri 29-Jul-11 20:32:47

Toast and marmalade with bits of cheddar cheese scattered over it! grin

Nannyliz Fri 29-Jul-11 22:30:55

Usually Doritos or crisps and chocolate which if it's near bedtime results in heartburn all night long!!!!!

Does anyone like peanut butter and jam on a slice of thick white bread or in a sandwich? It's lovely! Or Philadelphia cream cheese and honey sandwich made with brown bread?

elizabethjoan Fri 29-Jul-11 23:06:12

I'm with Zephrine!
Also home made mashed potato with salt, pepper sauce, melted strong cheese on top with a domestic size bloody mary.