Gransnet forums

Chat

I did something for the first time ever today

(15 Posts)
MamaSG Sun 31-Jul-11 23:26:16

I cooked a squash.
I'm 60 and this was the first time I ever cooked squash.
Just saying.

grannyactivist Mon 01-Aug-11 00:24:40

I was in my fifties before I even tasted a squash! Well done MamaSG.

glassortwo Mon 01-Aug-11 08:19:36

When I make roasted vegs I always add squash and sweet potato , very tasty.

shysal Mon 01-Aug-11 08:31:33

I love butternut squash, it is so sweet.
Try making soup. it is easy and delicious. loads of recipes on line.

JessM Mon 01-Aug-11 08:31:41

My time in NZ opened my eyes to all the things you can do with sweet potato. In salad, in Spanish omelette (frittata they would say) etc. It is called KUMARA down there, so if you want to search for new recipies that's a handy word to try. It was, I believe, brought to NZ by the Maoris.
My new thing in the last few days was working out how to use a voice recording application on the Mac. Still can't get to grips with Itunes though...

susiecb Mon 01-Aug-11 08:53:34

I went on a OU course called Innovation, Creativity and Change where amoung other things trying new things regualry was felt to keep the brain active and enhance creativity so I try to seek out opportunities to try new thinsg and change things if I can to see what will happen esp going out to new places, trying new foods, shops, books etc. Going to a big Rugby match next month!

susiecb Mon 01-Aug-11 08:55:43

Sorry meant to say on the subject of squash I roast it instead of potatoes to go with Roast Dinners when dieting and make half potato/half squash for shepherds pie/fish pie topping - lighter and tastiersmile

jogginggirl Mon 01-Aug-11 15:15:56

I used the satnav for the first time yesterday.........scary but great! I decided I needed to learn as I got 'lost' whilst taking my grand-daughter out last week. We were only travelling about 10 miles from home!! Even the three and a half year old said "No Grandma, that's the wrong turn" blush Pathetic. I think I must have been asleep during my Geography lessons - I have no sense of direction whatsoever.

bunic Sun 07-Aug-11 08:52:35

I had a meal in the Jamica Inn on Bodmin moor.

numberplease Sun 07-Aug-11 17:04:21

I did THAT for the first time in 1984, it`s lovely there, probably nicer now it`s not actually on the main A30 road anymore.
I had stitches for the first time yesterday, fell down the stairs and cut me leg very badly. But I`ll live!

greenmossgiel Sun 07-Aug-11 19:13:12

How many stitches,*numberplease*? Is a really bad cut? sad

Gally Sun 07-Aug-11 19:26:24

Ouch Numberplease - hope you were very brave. Today I drove on my own to and from the centre of Bristol (never been to Bristol before) back to my daughter's home in Gloucestershire without a map (can't work out the TomTom) and I didn't get lost although some idiot in a van on the nearside decided to go all the way round again while I was going onto the M4 - all I could see was tyre-smoke and a wobbly van shock

helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 19:45:38

I went with DS and DIL to take 5 month old GS swimming for the first time grin

numberplease Sun 07-Aug-11 20:36:43

Aw Helshea, I bet that was lovely!
Good on yer Gally!
Yes, I was very brave (Hah!) it`s a fairly deep cut, got 7 stitches. I think I`ll live.

yogagran Sun 07-Aug-11 21:40:29

Oh no - poor numberplease, that must have been very painful.
helshea - what a lovely experience, hope he had tremendous fun