Gransnet forums

Chat

Mwah Mwah

(13 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 06-Aug-11 14:37:38

Do you go in for air kissing? I'm never quite sure how to behave with this as I'm not a touchy feeling person. Friends I don't see often tend to mwah mwah as they come in the door which I find rather pointless and again when they leave. I'm glad to see them and don't want to appear rude. My DH feels as I do, but it seems de rigeur these days to be grabbed and 'mwahed' confused

sylvia2036 Sat 06-Aug-11 14:47:52

I'm glad it's just not me! I find it extraordinary being greeted this way by people I barely know if I go to a party or meet them in the street. Family - I can understand (just). At least it's not the French way of 3 kisses - mwah mwah mwah would be too much.

numberplease Sat 06-Aug-11 16:12:07

I`d never go in for mwah mwah type kissing, it looks and sounds so false.

Mamie Sat 06-Aug-11 18:18:45

Much more complicated that three in France, Sylvia; sometimes two, sometimes three, sometimes four, sometimes left first, sometimes right. One for children. No mwah sound though. Then the great tu / vous question...

goldengirl Sat 06-Aug-11 20:26:53

So, any ideas of ways to avoid it and thereby start a new trend of not mwah mwahing? But if you are caught which cheek is mwahed first??? confused

jangly Sat 06-Aug-11 22:06:00

If someone air kisses you, do the right thing. Give them a right smacker back and make sure their cheek gets wet.

I did.

jangly Sat 06-Aug-11 22:07:31

blush

grannyactivist Sat 06-Aug-11 23:01:39

Oh jangly mwah, mwah, mwah. So glad you're back. But is it really you? See my quiet corner post and tell me it's not true.

em Sat 06-Aug-11 23:20:53

Mwah seems ok when a 2year-old is finishing a phone 'conversation' with Bye Gran, Mwah!

ElseG Sun 07-Aug-11 00:38:26

Oh that's cute em. The older I have got the more huggy I have become but I am certainly not mwahish smile

sylvia2036 Sun 07-Aug-11 09:58:12

I guess the best thing would be to really kiss people on their cheeks and leave a load of lipstick behind - that might stop them next time they greet you. grin

susiecb Sun 07-Aug-11 10:06:41

I do find this difficult and they always do it after a game of golf so we clash visors , sunglasses and often exchange dribbles from sweaty brows!!

We knew somebody who insisted on kissing you at every opportunity (a rather sleazy very tall male) and I always tried to duck but he aimed at your mouth every time. One day I had a streaming cold and he got a nice wet nose - stopped after that!smile

Ladies feel they would like to kiss my husband and do so only to find his beard very pricklysmile

Mamie Sun 07-Aug-11 10:48:44

Always find it amusing that our keep-fit class (here in France) can't start until everyone has done their "bisous" with everyone else. You can also stand for 20 minutes outside a restaurant (usually in the freezing cold) while each new arrival kisses everyone who has already arrived. The one that really annoys me is when you get to the shops early, then wait to be served while the staff kiss all the other staff - mind you, they make up for it in speedy service when they want to close on the dot of 12 for lunch!