Gransnet forums

Chat

Live webchat with Miriam Stoppard 22 September 1-2pm

(59 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Sep-11 10:56:15

Dr Miriam Stoppard, women's health expert, childcare guru and author of Grandparents: Enjoying and Caring for your Grandchild, will be coming into Gransnet for a live webchat on September 22. She'll be answering questions on changing medical advice with regard to childcare, her views on how to be adored by your grandchildren and your children, women's health and anything else we want to ask. So add your questions here.

firenze Thu 22-Sep-11 13:54:47

Have you found that your attitudes about what is important for children have changed over time? I feel that my daughters get very stressed about things like how their children are doing at school, which don't seem to me to be that important - it doesn't actually seem to have much to do with what happens later on in life. Do you see it as a gran's responsibility to point things like this out, or to keep quiet?

MiriamStoppard Thu 22-Sep-11 13:59:50

skydiver

My son and his wife spend far more time with the other grandparents than they do with us. The grandchildren (5 and 7) talk about the other grandparents all the time when they are here - my daughter-in-law's parents are much younger than us and live nearer to them. I can't help feeling jealous. I don't feel we can have the same relationship. Have you any suggestions to help me stop feeling bad about this, or to improve the situation and feel less cut off and second rate?

Hi skydiver,

I do sympathise with you. There's quite often an imbalance between grandparents in a family and on occasion, it's hard not to feel jealous, but to be honest it's hardly avoidable, because daughters often relate more closely to their mothers than mothers-in-law, it's a fact of nature. But there's no harm in trying to be the nicest mother-in-law that ever lived, so that you're always made welcome.

Perhaps I can help you if I illustrate a situation that exists in my own, quite large, family. I have four sons, therefor I have four daughters-in-law, therefore I'm a mother-in-law to all these women. In one of them, the parents of my daughter-in-law live in America, and they see their grandchildren no more than four times a year. they are an example to all grandparents in this situation. They never begrudge me my time with their grandchildren and show their gratitude that I'm on hand for their daughter whenever she needs me. They show absolutely no jealousy about my contact with the family, and so, by their kind actions, they're giving us the freedom and space to behave well.
I try to remember their generosity all the time.

MiriamStoppard Thu 22-Sep-11 14:02:11

I'm really sorry I have to go now, I've thoroughly enjoyed answering your questions and chatting to you today. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer all of them, but I'll come back for another session...if you like?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Sep-11 14:15:06

Thanks you so much to Miriam for fascinating and helpful answers to some quite tricky questions!

If you want to know more, Miriam's book is Grandparents, Enjoying and Caring For Your Grandchild

gracesmum Sun 25-Sep-11 12:33:46

I wonder if we are looking at a straightforward case of jealousy? When she is alone with you she has your undivided attention - so when he comes home she "resents" the attention you give him? It is not unusual for a child to respond more easily to one parent/grandparent/aunt/uncle. But it doesn't necessarily reflect any diminution of love.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 27-Sep-11 12:22:29

I'm very happy to announce the five winners of Miriam's book are duckysnan, Twobabes, AnnB, NanaSusie and coastwallker. We've sent you all an email about getting hold of your prize - congrats!

Twobabes Wed 28-Sep-11 20:40:27

I've actually won something! And it's something worth winning, too. Thank you GN and Miriam. I'm looking forward to reading my prize. smile

coastwallker Sun 02-Oct-11 11:26:34

Me too. Thank you!