Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas tips

(110 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Oct-11 16:27:37

Be they baking, making or time-saving...we would love to know what your top tips are for Christmas.

We are delighted that Joanna Gosling, author of "Simply Wonderwoman: A Survival Guide for Women With Too Much To Do" is going to share some of her own tips with us. But she's also looking forward to seeing what gransnetters can come up with.

She will be picking her favourite five tips from this thread over the next couple of weeks. Winners will each receive a copy of her lovely book (which you can read more about here amzn.to/pl2tJm

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Oct-11 19:46:20

--steals Christmas pudding tip--

Notsogrand Fri 21-Oct-11 21:13:18

When the grandchildren are young (up to about 5 or 6) we have the main Christmas dinner on Boxing Day. Much less stress for adults and little ones and it frees up time to spend with the children. We still have lovely food on The Day, but easier, prepared in advance and not always requiring a table to be laid. Then full bells and whistles on Boxing Day.

glassortwo Fri 21-Oct-11 21:47:42

joanne there is nothing like home made christmas pudding, tried all the shop bought and none comes up to my DD pudding.

nannybev Fri 21-Oct-11 21:54:29

Some lovely ideas for Christmas, but I wonder if anyone my age (bus pass arrives in 2 weeks) remembers coal fires and soot! My sister and I used to run downstairs on Christmas morning to see if Father Christmas had left his 'sooty' prints on our plate when he ate the mince pie!!! Mum told us of the mess she used to get into reaching up the chimney to get 'finger prints on the plate. I in turn done the same with my children, and I now do it with my GC, their faces are a real delight to watch.

jinglej Fri 21-Oct-11 22:17:32

Sigh! Yes, you're right glass. Will get the flipping mixing bowl out tomorrow.

(Still got one left from last year so will only have to make half quantities this time) grin

glassortwo Fri 21-Oct-11 22:25:19

Santa foot prints in fake spray snow has the GC wide eyed when they wander down to see if he has been.

Ariadne Sat 22-Oct-11 09:23:26

Annobel - I have a present drawer too, but it gets depleted when we go visiting the family!

The boxes reminds me of what my mother used to do. She'd tell the children that on Boxing Day they had to see if there was a special box anywhere. Of course there was -sometimes on the doorstep. She filled it with the little things that they wouldn't have enjoyed so much alongside their bigger presents on Christmas Day. They all, in their 40s, remember it.

Annobel Sat 22-Oct-11 10:15:24

I think the Amazon wishlist idea sounds good in theory, but in practice, you might be asked for items that are either impractical or extortionately expensive and have to disappoint the GCs. My MiL once asked my DS, aged 4, what he wanted for Christmas (this was in July!) and he answered that he would like a metal detector (Why?). Fortunately she ignored this and by Christmas he had forgotten the idea. He's 38 now and still hasn't acquired a metal detector!

Divawithattitude Sat 22-Oct-11 11:09:24

In January each year I start preparing my 'list' , I put it on a large piece of card and tack it inside a wardrobe door. I buy gifts throughout the year and mark each one off on the list so I can see what is left to buy.
That way I don't run the risk of buying three gifts for one person!

amysnanna Sat 22-Oct-11 17:24:10

Disposable baking tins for the spuds etc. just for this one day a year and not that expensive, but helps make short work of the dishes.

Some great hints, keep them coming please!

Yayapat Sat 22-Oct-11 17:38:20

I find making mince-pies ahead of The Season very helpful. Make the mincepies as usual; place in the greased baking patty tins and put the tins in the freezer for a couple of hours. Remove pies from the tins and keep in a bag in the freezer. When needed, you can pull out a dozen or so, put them back in the tins, brush with milk and cook as usual, from frozen, maybe cooking a couple of minutes longer than usual. Result - home made mincepies, freshly cooked, less hassle.

nannasarah Sat 22-Oct-11 19:07:13

Joanna I;m with you.Unless you really enjoy the process buy a pud at M and S
Also I always order the Christmas food inc. turkey at M and S Their food order
book is out now.
My daughter and I buy cards wrapping paper and crackers in the sales after
Christmas.
Asda had lots of different wines on offer this week Different varieties of fizz
and Cava for £5 excellent for Christmas

JoannaGosling Sun 23-Oct-11 12:14:46

I like Amsynanna's suggestion about disposible baking trays - I am always up for avoiding as much washing up as possible! An alternative is to always line roasting pans, tins, trays - anything that goes in the oven - with non-stick baking paper first. I do it for roasts, roast potatoes, cookies, absolutely everything. Just remove the paper after cooking and throwaway to leave a clean pan. Hurrah! One of my fave hero products! grin

E1saBe Sun 23-Oct-11 20:59:42

For extra fridge space, we use the 'flatpack' cheap zipped-up-over-a-frame greenhouse as a booze fridge ... it's perfect in the garage, doesn't freeze up, but provides nice cold beers (you can tell we're from the southern hemisphere). in fact anything that needs to stay nice and cold can go in there.

Here's another tip: my mother taught me to store food in glass containers in the fridge (never plastic) because glass provides a 'fridge within a fridge' she'd say. So true! Food lasts so much better in glass - cold meats etc. And no transfer of colours or smells. Recycled glass jam jars are perfect for left overs.

Granny23 Mon 24-Oct-11 13:44:56

Best Christmas tip I ever had was that ' Christmas is a season - not just one day'. Taking this view removes the stress of packing everything into one day, of trying to eat all the Christmas foods together at one meal, of trying to gather and accomodate a scattered family in the same place at the same time, of having over tired and over excited children.

Being Scottish, we also include the New Year celebrations in our 'Season' so have several small and medium sized get togethers and plenty 'time off' to chill as well.

Revis Mon 24-Oct-11 21:46:53

I make mince pies and sausage rolls with fresh ready made pastry and freeze them before cooking (if you grease the mince pie tins well they will pop out easily when frozen, or ease them out with a knife), I can then take them out of the freezer and cook them as I need them. There are always some left for later in the year and no need to throw unused ones away.
I love the idea of the decorated boxes nanapug - will certainly try that.

follygirl Tue 25-Oct-11 20:50:07

Grandchildren love to be in their own home on Christmas morning so we buy pudding and crackers, turn up with the presents and then play with GC and their toys while daughter and son-in-law make dinner. Brilliant.

bama2U Wed 26-Oct-11 17:58:38

Over the year I keep my eyes open for Christmas or glitzy fabrics, remnant stalls, store sales in January and party dresses in charity shops are all good sources. One autumn evening, well before the Christmas rush, I make different size bags from the fabric - then at Christmas time I just pop my gifts inside a bag, tie with fancy ribbons and add a name tag. It's so easy, no more fiddling with difficult shaped presents, they look spectacular under the tree, everyone loves the bags especially children and of course they are recycled for years.

Annobel Wed 26-Oct-11 18:22:33

Thanks, bama2U. What a lovely idea and one which even I could adopt, despite going into a cold sweat at the sight of a needle and thread. wink

JoannaGosling Wed 26-Oct-11 18:37:24

Hi all - I am really enjoying this thread - so many brilliant tips and ideas coming through! One of my best eureka moments last Christmas was realising it was so cold I could use my car boot as a fridge overflow. It was fantastic - took care of all the bulky stuff no problem. Jx

Carol Wed 26-Oct-11 18:54:02

I am inspired by your tip bama2U. What an easy idea - I enjoy wrapping the first present then it becomes a chore. I'm going to use this one - thanks!

Sbagran Wed 26-Oct-11 19:04:56

Love DivaWA's idea of the list and crossing things off - we have the 'gifts' box where if I see anything I feel would be great for a present I store away until needed. Although I usually have someone in mind when I buy things I never have actually made a note that I have them - divas idea would help with that!

I am feeling sooooooo smug today - we support a family out in Moldova and every year we send three boxes on the Christmas lorry - one with clothes for each family member, the second with presents for each family member and the third with tinned food, pasta etc (non-perishables) and sweets for the children. We delivered our boxes to the depot today and it's not even November!

Am planning now to get the other presents sorted while I am in the mood!
Don't stop me now !!!!!! grin (Wish they did a smug emoticon!)

jogginggirl Thu 27-Oct-11 21:45:39

I have a Christmas planner book - room for present choices, individual pages for everyone I buy for, card list, notebook for ideas..........everything I can think of. It's my third year of using it..........it has space for 5 or 6 years I think. The good thing is that I can see what I bought for people last year and not repeat.............it works for me grin

Sbagran Fri 28-Oct-11 07:53:22

Wow jogginggirl - well done - and I thought I was organised! grin

Annobel Fri 28-Oct-11 08:52:03

I am full of admiration for the organisational skill of my fellow Gransnetters - something I must admit I totally lack. But... but... is Christmas meant to be a challenge? a chore? Because that's what it seems to have become since I was a child. Just throwing this into the mix! confused