Gransnet forums

Chat

Swimming pool safety

(9 Posts)
chocolatepudding Thu 08-Dec-11 19:00:27

I had an interesting experience with my BIL and his twin girls both toddlers one summer's day at MIL's house where there was a small pond about 8 ft by 3 ft by 2-3 ft deep.

MIL had decided to serve a picnic style lunch in the garden so we all sat down to eat, me, my DH, BIL, SIL, MIL and 2 toddlers. After a few minutes the girls were up and running towards the pond and I was the first adult up on my feet in quick pursuit. I grabbed them before they reached the concrete flagstones which edged the pool. I sat them down to eat lunch again and returned to my seat. Yes within a couple of minutes I ran after them again and grabbed them before they reached the pond. As I returned to my seat my BIL said "Don't worry about the pond, the girls have to learn about water sometime." I just replied "Well that's fine if you want to spend the afternoon at A and E at the hospital."

PS my SIL phoned after we had left. She was washing up and MIL and BIL were talking standing at the edge of the pond. The girls were running round the garden and ran up beside their father, stopped, and the eldest one stepped straight into the water. Did she scream!!

I have just given up with my BIL and SIL.....it makes life easier.

Annobel Wed 07-Dec-11 10:56:29

Signed it. I hope it gets the support it deserves. But there remains the risk of paddling pools. When my sister was a rookie GP, she was desperately upset by a case of a child who drowned in a few inches of water. She was feeling bad too because she had just bought an inflatable pool for her adored nephew - my DS1. I don't know if there are warnings on these things, and if there are, I do hope the owners take note and never leave toddlers alone in them.

Carol Wed 07-Dec-11 10:10:25

Just signed it - good luck with it Mishap

Mishap Wed 07-Dec-11 10:05:13

Here is the petition site if you wish to sign - please pass on to others to join in.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/24856

Greatnan Fri 02-Dec-11 14:25:09

There has been a great deal of comment on my ex-pat forum about this matter and the consensus is that secure , locked fencing or a really solid locked cover offer the best protection. Of course, many people have still not followed the law, just as people still use their mobile phones when driving.

Carol Fri 02-Dec-11 14:20:10

Yes, I would support the petition.

harrigran Fri 02-Dec-11 13:42:16

We stayed at a house in France this year that did not have a fence, it was alarmed and they thought this was adequate. It was a waking nightmare for DH and I as we felt unable to relax for a second. The alarm was very sensitive too and kept going off causing major panic especially during the night.

Mishap Fri 02-Dec-11 09:40:31

Hear, hear!
MY wee GS is often looked after at his other grandparents' and their pool was unfenced - it used to worry me sick - thankfully they have now fenced it.
We cannot be complacent about this. I will look up how to set up an e-petition and perhaps others might be willing to support this.

Greatnan Fri 02-Dec-11 09:36:11

Yet another toddler has died in a swimming pool in a neighbour's garden.
His parents were attending an engagement party of a cousin and each thought the little boy was with the other.
These tragedies will continue to happen until the UK has the same laws as many other countries, including France, Australia and the USA. Pools have to have solid, lockable covers, or be fenced securely with fences that have no gaps that small children could get through. Some covers look solid but will not take the weight of a child and in fact make it harder for the child to be spotted. As we all know, a very small child can drown in a few inches of water, even the pool that collects on these flexible covers.

I don't have access to an MP, being non-resident, but I would be happy to sing a petition for such a law to be enacted. In the meantime, constant vigilance is needed - I know I had one or two horrible scares when my little girls slipped away while I was paying for something in a shop.