Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Is it acceptable

(23 Posts)
kittylester Fri 02-Dec-11 15:15:57

Is it acceptable for a gransnetter to be a smidgen to the right of centre, politically, or should I get my coat?

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Dec-11 15:33:36

It's acceptable to be whatever you are, kittylester! We are all 'what we are' and it's taken us quite a while to get here! smile

nanachrissy Fri 02-Dec-11 15:41:16

If there is anywhere that you can be yourself, it is most certainly on Gn! We may not all agree, but it would be very bland if we did! wink

JessM Fri 02-Dec-11 15:52:05

After my posting on the strike everyone probably thinks I am too. But if a poster said they should all be shot then I think that would get lost of folks riled.
I hope it will continue to be a place where we can debate and disagree in an adult manner. Life would be boring if everyone agreed.

supernana Fri 02-Dec-11 16:02:24

Each of us is unique - and that means that we should not feel intimidated because our personal point of view differs from anothers. Be true to yourself and appreciate that another's point of view as is valid as your own.

Gally Fri 02-Dec-11 16:14:19

Kitty. Of course you can be right, left or whatever, otherwise I would be getting my coat too smile

susiecb Fri 02-Dec-11 16:18:45

Of course Kitty your fine - did you know Stalin well?smile

bagitha Fri 02-Dec-11 16:19:40

kitty, you're welcome. Free speech and freely.....

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-11 16:38:58

Thank you everyone for your nice replies (well, apart from *susie smile)

I was really asking tongue in cheek because I do feel that some people on Gransnet are very intolerant. I am happy with my thinking and happy to keep quiet about it unless something really pushes my buttons! Something did! evil grin

Gally our family "motto" is be true to yourself and I am happy to say that we all are and, boy, do we have some interesting family gatherings!

Carol Fri 02-Dec-11 16:44:21

We'll even tolerate intolerant people kitty thanks

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 16:45:33

I don't think anyone on GN are going to be intolerant of your politics kittylester.

Of course other people will have their own opinions and probably express them quite forcibly, as is their right.

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-11 16:46:25

Carol that's good because they drive me nuts smile

JessM Fri 02-Dec-11 17:08:49

Worth re-iterating my sister's guideline on forum etiquette. Tackle the ball not the player.

gracesmum Fri 02-Dec-11 17:24:35

TG we are all different and can discuss and debate without sinking to the "sucks yah boo" level of some men not a million miles from the Houses of Parliament!!

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 17:27:30

Where are these threads where people are intolerant? I haven't come across them.

Uness it's me! shock [paranoid emoticon]

Grannylin Fri 02-Dec-11 17:31:04

I think it was on 'What are you knitting now?!!!!!

Ariadne Fri 02-Dec-11 17:37:22

One of the things I love about GN, Kittylester, is the variety of opinions and ideas that are expressed. There is absolutely no chance of becoming complacent, or smug, which is a good thing. And just the fact that someone always has something to say is enlivening. Stay with us!!

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 17:38:49

Grannylin grin grin grin

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 17:39:08

I don't read that one.

Butternut Fri 02-Dec-11 17:50:49

I'm just starting to learn how to knit! grin

JessM - I haven't heard of that forum etiquette guideline before, so thanks for re-iterating! Good stuff. smile

grannyactivist Sat 03-Dec-11 00:41:50

kitty - there have been one or two debates on GN that have caused a certain amount of heat to be generated, but we are a community of diverse people with differing opinions so that's only to be expected. I think one of the strengths of GN is the wide range of experience and opinion, so any time you want to add your two penn'orth just wade right in (politely of course). Sometimes you might find that you're expressing things that others have been thinking and that's a great encouragement. Leave your coat where it is. smile

absentgrana Sat 03-Dec-11 10:10:45

I'm not sure where the centre is these days, never mind the right of it.

Annobel Sat 03-Dec-11 11:14:08

kitty, put that coat back on the hook! I would say that I am left of centre but in some respects have become less tolerant with age. If I disagree with anything said on GN, I will probably say so, and would expect anyone who disagrees with me to do likewise. But the good thing is that we can be civilised about it and agree to differ. I have been through the rough and tumble of local politics and am very glad I don't have to waste energy on it in retirement.