Gransnet forums

Chat

Tarts?

(64 Posts)
helshea Sat 31-Dec-11 14:38:12

Ok .. I'll thrown this in - what makes a Tart? (jam and pastry is not acceptable) wink

helshea Sat 31-Dec-11 14:40:31

Is flirting "tarty" behaviour?

Carol Sat 31-Dec-11 14:53:23

You are on a roll, aren't you healshea? Have you got a list of other sex-based topics lined up? I'm watching with interest now!

I have no idea what makes a tart - suppose is it subjective. My understanding of how the term is used is that a tart is a woman who flaunts her sexuality in a degrading way that undermines her and suggests she is looking for promiscuous sex. It's used in a derogatory way. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent male term. Says it all!

Flirting is not tarty. I find I can behave flirtatiously with both men and women, without there being any suggestion that sexual activity is on offer. It's a way of oiling the wheels of social interaction, and for me signals that there is a degree of ease between those involved. Bit like banter, but with no sarcasm or point-scoring.

kittylester Sat 31-Dec-11 14:55:32

Is a tart the same as a trollop? smile

helshea Sat 31-Dec-11 14:59:21

I reckon you are on to a winner there kitty - that was a word I had forgotton but is perfect! Good point Carol, is there a male version of tart? I too can not think of one, but worth looking for! I suppose the male version would more than likely hailed as a stud - talk about double standards

tanith Sat 31-Dec-11 15:26:25

Gigolo might fit the bill although not quite . Is an 'old' tart a harlot?

There certainly are some good old English words for tart..

JessM Sat 31-Dec-11 16:19:54

The world is full of double standards as I remarked today driving past a pub "How many pubs called The Hen are there...."

Elegran Sat 31-Dec-11 16:42:51

And if there are any, they will be "The Old Hen"

Cyril Sat 31-Dec-11 16:57:28

Is this the reason for Carpenters Arms but Queens Legs do you think in pub names?

harrigran Sat 31-Dec-11 19:25:01

Just look at a few facebook profile pictures and you will see tarts. I would have got a good wallop off my mother if I had dressed and flaunted myself the way the young do now.

NannaAnna Sat 31-Dec-11 20:51:05

But, harrigan, do young girls regard themselves as 'tarts' based on how they chose to dress?
Probably a resounding "NO" from young girls of today.
It is an interesting subject for discussion.
As someone who has lived in the Muslim world with young daughters, I know what a potentially difficult issue this is.
Is a definition in the eyes of the beholder, or the eyes of the person being labelled??

glammanana Sat 31-Dec-11 21:29:10

I'm affraid that I am off the opinion that if a man wants his way with a woman be she dressed in a skimpy outfit or not he will have his way if he is of that type,I think the way boy's have been brought up to respect girls hold the key to solving the problem, I know my boys have been brought up to respect women and would never judge anyone on what they where wearing and if they did happen to mention anything like that to me they would be soon put in their place.

Elegran Sun 01-Jan-12 10:11:12

I suspect the definition is that a tart is someone who does a lot more of it than the beholder, and does not do it discreetly.

susiecb Sun 01-Jan-12 10:40:04

I always think tarty is not just overtly sexy in dress and behaviour but rather grubby and unpleasant too.

JessM Sun 01-Jan-12 10:45:09

Is it not though, a sexist word and a sexist judgement?

Gally Sun 01-Jan-12 11:19:28

Definition of tart is 'A nubile young temptress who dresses teasingly and provocatively' grin

Faye Sun 01-Jan-12 11:24:14

I would have thought this is a good definition: 'A nubile young temptress, who dresses teasingly and provocatively.' Some definitions that I looked up were a bit extreme for the word 'tart.' I can't help but think sexist terms to describe women, such as slut, whore etc, with no similar words to describe men are derogatory to women. I avoid using them, but would have thought tart was not in the same boat.

I have mentioned on GN before that I brought my children up to not use words that put women down. It was never okay in our home to use belittling words to describe women.

Faye Sun 01-Jan-12 11:26:09

Snap Gally.

harrigran Sun 01-Jan-12 13:37:14

I think that is a very good definition Gally

supernana Sun 01-Jan-12 13:47:14

Would the collective noun for a tart be ...a jam of tarts wink

susiecb Sun 01-Jan-12 15:49:10

Del calls Rodney a tart amoungst other things.

JessM Sun 01-Jan-12 15:59:22

And that is insulting because it is usually applied to women. Like calling a man a girl, a big girl's blouse, an old woman etc etc. All insults.

After all, what is the very worst thing you can call someone in this country...

Anne58 Sun 01-Jan-12 16:18:34

I know, I know! It's "Jeremy Clarkson", I'm right, aren't I?!

nanachrissy Sun 01-Jan-12 16:40:16

Phoenix grin definitely!

JessM Sun 01-Jan-12 16:49:29

grin