Gransnet forums

Chat

Being Prepared!!!

(66 Posts)
MDougall Mon 23-Jan-12 10:32:45

I woke up last night and had a dreadful pain in my right side. Could not sleep so went upstairs (our bedrooms are "downstairs!) and googled appendicitis. So the pain was in the right place but over an hour or so, the pain disappeared. But the whole thing made me think. If there were an emergency - am I prepared?!!!!

Where would my husband find my clean nightwear and dressing gown? Does he know how to access the bank account online (he leaves it up to me|), would anyone know how to find our will, apart from the husband, and to cap it all my legs needed shaving badly , my toe nails were all over the place with chipped nail polish and my underarms are hairy!!!! So what a sight I would have been on the operating table!! I was bought up on the maxim that you always wore clean underwear in case you were knocked down on the way to school or work!!!!!!!

So i have spent the morning putting my things in order, nails now polished, legs now shaved and underarms are pristine. Hospital nightthings together in a drawer and husband knows where to find them, and all the other things will be documented in a list to be shared amongst the family!

So how prepared are you?

Carol Mon 23-Jan-12 10:50:52

I keep pretending it will all go away! I am in the same position, live alone, and have a dog that would need to be looked after. I was sent to A and E a couple of years ago, and argued with the doctor that I needed to go home (didn't have the dog then) organise nighties etc. and let my family know. He agreed that I should go the following morning, and there was a nurse waiting for me in A and E who knew the story. I was only in for a few days, but it made me think - however, it's all gone on the back burner again - I have to take myself in hand.

tanith Mon 23-Jan-12 10:51:36

I'm as prepared as I'll ever be , take me as you find me I'm afraid , hairy legs and chipped toe nails would be the last thing on my mind if I was in excruciating pain . OH knows where my holiday wash bag is and my PJ's, as for banking everything is done by DD and we each have our own acc for access to cash.

susiecb Mon 23-Jan-12 11:08:04

I'm shocked!!! Hairy legs!!!!Underwear that doesn't match. In all my years of nursing my first thought at seeing my patient was just look at this when did she last have a manicure, shave her legs, buy some new underwear and where does she buy her nighties!!!LOLsmile

gracesmum Mon 23-Jan-12 11:29:47

Since DH has not infrequently been rushed into hospital with blue flashing lights I live with "Plan B" - a couple of friends with keys who could see to the dog, a list of his medications in my purse, always clean PJs for him and when DGS was due last November I even put dog into kennels one weekend in case I "got the call" wilel DH was in for an op. Once, as he was about to be wheeled off to theatre I asked him for the passwords for his computer - he hesitated, ...but before he could say any more the porter wheeled him away. Fortunately he came through that one, but in answer to the question (in a very roundabout way) I would say I am not in fact prepared.
But when the emergencies happen, the hairy armpits/legs or unwashed hair don't seem to matter!

MDougall Mon 23-Jan-12 11:47:46

With regards to computer passwords etc. In my past life i was a Management Consultant in the public service and trained front line personnel in "Systems which withstand absence - - in its simplest form - if someone in a team was away - who else could find files, passwords, keys etc.etc. if they were essential for the team's work? It would blow your mind just how many teams (particularly in Social Services ) who thought I was outrageous for introducing processes that ensured that everyone in the team could access each other's files, computers, etc.etc. Lives were literally at stake but people were so "inward" thinking about their paperwork etc. and did not think how it would all work if they were away for a day or more.

I am suitably chastened (susiecb) - of course the Doctors/Nurses/Anyone else will not care about my legs etc.etc. It would be me!!! So that is a very selfish thought if ever I had one!! Goes back to my childhood, that no-one else should find you in less than a pleasant "state".

Also take the point that if I was in excruciating pain - would I be bothered? Well, when I went into labour three times, yes even then I was very bothered about how I looked when in pain!!!! Sounds very pathetic but you know, it seemed to give me something else to focus on. When I had my hysterectomy, I was the first lady in a group of 5 to be up and about, washing myself (complete with drip/morphine pump) and putting on my makeup and brushing my hair!.

So it gives me a lift I suppose - same with my best friend undergoing chemotherapy/radiotherapy recently - even at her worst times with no hair, she put on a very glamorous wig, full make-up and special nightwear as she said it made her feel a lot better!

shysal Mon 23-Jan-12 12:08:31

Living alone, I decided long ago that I had to be prepared for any emergency. I have a drawer containing nighties etc. with a list of any other items to be included. I also have a list, known to my daughters and always up to date, of pension, will and banking details, and options for cats.
Although always hot at night I never sleep naked in case there is a fire! Instead I wear Sloggi cropped top and pants set.
I also take out the front door key when I lock up at night should a family member need to get in with their key.
Armpits shaved daily, but sadly legs not so often in winter.

shysal Mon 23-Jan-12 12:13:10

Included in the list of essentials for hospital stay are tweezers and magnifying mirror for chin hairs which need to plucked every day or two.

Greatnan Mon 23-Jan-12 12:41:10

I not only live alone, but in an isolated flat in a foreign country! I have listed all my pensions, bank account details, names and numbers of family, etc. plus a copy of my will, and given the file to my Swiss friend, who could deal with the French authorities for my daughters. She would also help if I had to go into hospital - she lives about 120 miles away from me, but I know she would come if I needed her. Things were much simpler before my daughter emigrated to New Zealand but she and Odile are Facebook friends and often chat to each other behind my back! My daughter in the UK would not be able to cope at all.
I don't really need a will if I die in France as inheritance is strictly governed by the 'Code Napoleon' and you cannot disinherit your children.
I have left explicit instructions for disposal of my body - donate everything useful, try to give remainder for research, no religious service, everything to be done as cheaply as possible, no expense of repatriation.
I don't have any underarm hair - it just stopped growing about ten years ago, and my doctor just shrugged and said 'hormones'. I don't wear make up of any kind, as I really don't care about my appearance as long as I am clean and tidy.
I used to be named as executor in both my daughters' wills and also as legal guardian of their infant children but we jointly decided when I turned 70 that it would be unrealistic not to have younger people, so now the adult GC are named as guardians for the minors, if both parents should die.

harrigran Mon 23-Jan-12 13:14:12

I know that horrible feeling MDougall the last time I felt really ill and needed to go to the doctors I got up at 6am to prepare. I shaved my legs and washed my hair and found a novel I wanted to read. My instincts were correct, I was admitted to hospital from the doctor's surgery. I have a very caring family but on that day DD was abroad, sister was at a conference and DH worked a 3 hour drive away. Doctors and nurses kept asking who I had with me and I had to say I was alone. I was having heart investigations so I asked a nurse to ring DH, I did not want to die without speaking to him.
My DD knows where I keep the will and I keep birth and marriage certificates and NH cards with the will. I must review this as my DD now lives abroad.

glammanana Mon 23-Jan-12 13:17:43

In my wardrobe I have an overnight case that has bra,pants and pj's and a hand towel with some small bars of soap and talc,DH has the same as we where caught out once when he had to be rushed into hospital at very short notice.In the fridge we have two plastic jars from our doctors surgery that has a list inside which state's which medication we need in an emergency it also tells the emergency services who is the key holder and telephone numbers and even where the food is if there is an animal in the house,these bottles are free from most surgeries.

jeni Mon 23-Jan-12 13:41:21

I remember once in casualty seeing a very tough hirsute biker who had had a RTA, under his leathershe had very pretty pink frilly panties. Do you think he was prepared?

absentgrana Mon 23-Jan-12 14:32:24

Wills, insurance documents and so on are all filed neatly and easily accessible in the event of an emergency. I'm not on any medication and I reckon so much of my innards have already been removed that I'm not likely to have to worry about hospital admission. grin

JessM Mon 23-Jan-12 14:32:43

Can't read a book by its cover, as they say jeni
Otherwise - we are a vain lot aren't we....smile
Note to self. Check if still growing underarm hair. Never had much and occasionally do a pass with a razor while bathing. But i might not need to!
Not prepared apart from appointing a friend as backstop executor (if DH and I both died on the M1 - sons are out of the country)
I should give friend a key as well in case we both ended up in hospital.

Notsogrand Mon 23-Jan-12 15:47:09

Deep intake of breath shysal at the thought that anyone would leave the key in the door, any time...day or night.
We receive emailed reminders from our local Community Safety Team that 'fishing' for a key through the letterbox can be done quickly and quietly by would-be burglars. shock

absentgrana Mon 23-Jan-12 15:54:51

Where I live, we leave front doors unlocked when we are in during the day, only locking the doors when we go out or at night. I do lock mine if I am the only one in the house and am in my office as it's at the top and at the back. I still find this a novelty although I have been here for two years now. grin

Greatnan Tue 24-Jan-12 07:32:36

I don't know if the French are more honest or more trusting, but on my long walks I often pass isolated houses, obviously holiday homes, with some expensive goods just left outside - large toys, gardening equipment, planters, and stacks of very expensive firewood. It crosses my mind that they wouldn't last long in England.

gracesmum Tue 24-Jan-12 09:43:57

One of my worst weeks was nearly 2 years ago while I was still working. It was half term and I as Head of German was taking a group to near Hamburg on the Friday for a week with one younger male teacher.
Monday middle D was knocked off her bike at Elephant and Castle - but not injured
Tuesday dog diagnosed with an eye disease which might have led to her going blind
Wed DH admitted to Royal Free with one of his fevers (cholangitis) and Thursday eldest DD (6 months pregnant) at Selly Oak Hospital with suspected DVT. Because it was half term all other possible staff were away .
OK
middle D was fine and promised to take care of herself
Kennels were happy to administer eye drops to dog
DH "safe" in hospital and it occurred to me that I could fly back from Hamburg just about as quickly as driving or train from here if needed in London
eldest D was fine, just "normal" pregnancy swelling.
So I went to Germany and all was well, but it was at that point that I decided to retire.
There are only so many "plan B's" available!

Carol Tue 24-Jan-12 11:15:56

gracesmum what a week that was!

Ariadne Tue 24-Jan-12 13:37:20

I read a novel recently - can't even remember the title - and one of the characters was a security expert. What I thought interesting were tips like:

If there's a fire, have you got a key upstairs to throw down to the emergency services? You have? Good. How will they see it in the dark? Keep it in a white sock in your bedroom. (Needless to say, I have not done this!)

Always leave your keys in the same place near the front door? Great - the thief can then load up your car and drive off.

Etc etc

But I do have a "going to hospital bag" packed for me - the premis being that I could pack for DH, but he most certainly couldn't for me!

JessM Tue 24-Jan-12 15:43:48

I have heard of others recommending that you should leave your car keys in an obvious place because if you get broken into at night they are most likely to take the biggest, most portable thing - your car and leave the rest of your stuff and you alone.

Annobel Tue 24-Jan-12 15:54:09

Doesn't it stand to reason that they would use the car to transport smaller valuables? i don't think they would have any better reason for taking my incomparably scruffy Yaris!

Greatnan Tue 24-Jan-12 16:55:28

I agree, Annobel - no young tearaway would be seen dead in my little Fiat Panda!

kittylester Tue 24-Jan-12 17:01:11

My husband, after much nagging, made a list of internet banking passwords, insurance policies, pensions, investments etc. He then bought a very small safe (not telling you where it is but it's QUITE inaccessible!) and put the list inside with passports etc.

Then, he remembered something else he needed to put on the list, got it out of the safe and now keeps it in his sock drawer so he can jot things down on it without getting at the safe! confused At least a burglar wouldn't want to go in his sock drawer!

Ariadne Tue 24-Jan-12 17:53:16

kittylester grin