Gransnet forums

Chat

Woman in Black

(37 Posts)
Lucyella Mon 13-Feb-12 19:25:21

Just come home from seeing Woman in Black. Has anybody else seen it? What did you think of it? Did you find it scary?

crimson Mon 13-Feb-12 19:27:46

I saw the play years ago and have to admit I can't remember what happened, but it will probably all come flooding back to me when I see the film which will ruin it for me!

johanna Mon 13-Feb-12 19:27:55

From what I have read about it, I don't think I dare go and see it.

Seventimesfive Mon 13-Feb-12 19:36:56

I saw the play with my teenage grand daughter a few years ago and yes! it was scary!

Anne58 Mon 13-Feb-12 19:46:02

I'm kicking myself, as the Daily Telegraph had a token to get a free copy of the book from Waitrose a few weeks back, and I didn't get there to redeem it.

greenmossgiel Mon 13-Feb-12 19:49:41

Going to see it when it comes my way. Have the book, and don't know whether to read it then watch the film, or the other way round [confused!

Jacey Mon 13-Feb-12 20:43:14

greenmossgiel ...who is the author please?

goldengirl Mon 13-Feb-12 20:55:45

Saw the play years ago and the whole audience jumped out of their seats at one point. It was really scary - but very enjoyable. It was one occasion that the play was better than the book for me.

greenmossgiel Mon 13-Feb-12 21:06:20

Susan Hill, Jacey. I saw he play many years ago - Frank Finlay was in it.

Jacey Mon 13-Feb-12 21:30:08

Thank you greenmossgiel

kittylester Mon 13-Feb-12 21:53:07

I can't imagine that the film could be half as good as the play so I'll leave it where it is!

whatisamashedupphrase Mon 13-Feb-12 22:26:54

Looks like you can only get the book on kindle on Amazon.

numberplease Mon 13-Feb-12 23:39:14

I liked the book, but couldn`t see how, in the reviews, a lot of people said it was the scariest thing they`d ever read, it was scary, but not excessively so, unless I`m just hard to please!

susiecb Tue 14-Feb-12 16:09:44

Hoping to go on Saturday will put something on the film thread about it afterwards.

tattynan Tue 14-Feb-12 19:27:51

I saw the TV version of it years back and it was really scary.

crimson Wed 22-Feb-12 15:24:51

Thinking about the film of The Exorcist scares me witless[even if it's on the telly and the telly is off it freaks me out]; I couldn't go into the loft for ages after watching The Orphanage and had problems with the garden at night after the Charlton Heston film of the Omega Man [this one lasted for years]. I never did have the courage to watch the Blair Witch Project, as I used to spend a lot of time in fields after dark when we had the pony. Thankfully, even though I had to stop watching it halfway through [turned it on towards the end, only to catch the worst bit] The Descent was ok in that I never intended to go pot holing, and I can watch Alien because I'm never likely to be in a space ship. My son has seen all of these and laughs at my cowardice. However, he phoned me up the other night to say that he'd seen The Woman in Black and it scared him so much he couldn't stop thinking about it. Although, he did point out that he thought it was because he kept expecting Daniel Radcliffe to produce a magic wand and do a bit of evil spirit zapping. Methinks I dare not see this film sad.

numberplease Wed 22-Feb-12 15:34:49

The only film to ever affect me in that way was Psycho. I saw it in 1961, and it was weeks before I was able to have a bath again, and I`ve never been able to watch it again since then, although I have tried when it`s been on TV.

Elegran Wed 22-Feb-12 15:45:53

I saw Psycho in 1961 too, with future-DH. He had been a bit cool toward me just previously (he had apparently been thinking if ditching me - how dare he!) and I don't really know why we were there together. Instead of the usual arm-draped-across-me-and-cuddle, he sat with his arms folded and hardly spoke to me for the whole of the film. I sat in splendid isolation. I was petrified and closed my eyes at the scary bits. Too proud to grab him in terror.

numberplease Wed 22-Feb-12 16:13:37

I went with a girl from work. What amused her was that I sat through the whole film, then just towards the end, the cameras zoomed in on a fly crawling across someone`s hand, and I nearly jumped out of my skin!!

supernana Wed 22-Feb-12 16:28:02

For me, The Exorcist, was by far the scariest film. I walked out after 30 mins and discovered several people [including grown men] who were well and truly spooked. hmm

Greatnan Wed 22-Feb-12 16:35:24

I am afraid of real people, not ghosties and ghoulies. The Blair Witch Project has to be the most boring film ever made (unless it is 123 Hours). My first date with my ex-husband was to see 'I was a teenage werewolf' and 'Strangler of the Swamp'. They just made me laugh.
I do get irritated by the irrational behaviour of women in horror films - they always run back into the isolated house on their own.

crimson Wed 22-Feb-12 16:40:50

I don't think I ever have got over it, supernana. I suppose it came soon after my teen years where we [as teens tend to do] used ouija boards thinking they were fun.

numberplease Wed 22-Feb-12 16:54:23

Why, in creepy films, do women creep through the house in the dark? Why don`t they put the flippin` light on?

greenmossgiel Wed 22-Feb-12 17:10:51

Been reading the book - nearly finished it, and it's very good. I can't figure out what part of the 20th century it's supposed to be set in, though. 'Motor cars' are mentioned, but the dialogue is very formal. The sort you would expect to read in a Victorian novel. Only a little book, and I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

numberplease Wed 22-Feb-12 17:40:58

Looking at the size of the book before reading it, makes you wonder how they made a blockbuster film from it. Probably won`t see the film, unless it comes on TV eventually, hubby won`t go to the pictures.