Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you reading right now?

(674 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:33:00

Always fascinating to know what people are reading and what they are making of it. I am deep in the Herries Chronicles by Hugh Walpole. A wonderful sweeping panoramic look at English history through the prism of a family from the Lakes. Highly recommended

numberplease Sun 19-Oct-14 17:28:47

Identical was different, but quite good, more of a legal fact finding mission, but a crime is solved as well. Now reading Blood of Others, by Rick Mofina. I`ve started buying used books from Amazon, there`s still £2.80 postage to pay, but most of the books are only 1p, so still a saving.

Ian42 Tue 28-Oct-14 16:22:31

I'm reading The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman, by Denis Theriault. Very challenging to read, can be life changing.

numberplease Tue 28-Oct-14 20:56:15

I`m now reading Blind Alley, by Danielle Ramsay, a police thriller, about the search for a serial rapist, very good so far.

glassortwo Tue 28-Oct-14 22:06:04

I am best part through Calling me home by Julie Kibler, I cant put it down.

Its based on her Grandmothers life but is a fictionalised story set in the late 1930's in Kentucky and modern day, showing racial discrimination then and now.

glassortwo Wed 29-Oct-14 21:11:19

Oh I have just finished Calling me home, really enjoyed it but now disappointed that its come to the end. sad

whitewave Wed 29-Oct-14 21:17:45

Just finished Alan Johnson's second autobiography - enjoyed both but the first has the edge I think

sparkygran Sun 02-Nov-14 13:41:49

Have just taken delivery of the new C J Sansom book, Lamentation, the latest in the Shardlake series thanks Amazon but you know I just love the look and smell of a new book that I`ve decided to just look at it for a while and postpone the joy of reading it till later. Is that a bit strange??

Frannygranny Sun 02-Nov-14 15:19:09

Just finished 'The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle' by Kirsty Wark. It was fabulous. If you know and love Lamlash on the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde you'll just love the descriptions of the village and Island.

numberplease Sun 02-Nov-14 16:54:25

Blind Alley was very good. Am now reading Don`t Let Me Go, by Susan Lewis, about three quarters of the way through it, and it`s been a really good read.

numberplease Sat 08-Nov-14 23:35:28

Don`t Let Me Go was a lovely book, full of human interest. I`ve just finished The Last Refuge, by Craig Robertson, OK, but not as good as other books of his. I`m now reading, and enjoying despite reading a bad review, Want You Dead, by Peter James. It`s a Roy Grace story, I like those ones.

Jordan12 Mon 08-Jun-20 08:46:48

I am reading about Daikijin oni[1] mask is generally composed of a white face with two horns on its temples it has golden eyes and a huge nose. Its mask is also composed of a wide-open mouth that shows two of its golden fangs. This mask is used during a ceremony or a festival to protect against evil spirits.

[1] kabukimask.com/category/oni-masks/

travelsafar Mon 08-Jun-20 09:21:47

'The Shell Seekers' by Rosmund Pilchur. A lovely story about an elderly lady whose father was a famous painter. It is also about her children who want her to sell paintings so they can have some of the money. The descriptions of her life, present and past, her cottage, and her personality are beautiful. I have several of this authors books and each one give you the feel good factor.

TerriBull Mon 08-Jun-20 09:42:31

"Wild Fire" Anne Cleeves "Shetland series" featuring Jimmy Perez as always reliably good. Also dipping in and out of a few history books to while away the time.

Lucca Mon 08-Jun-20 10:00:41

I’ve just finished “where the Crawdads sing”. Beautifully written.

jacq10 Mon 08-Jun-20 10:10:04

travelsafar - I used to read a lot of Rosamunde Pilcher back in the late 80s - early 90s. When the kids were young I found them an easy read and a bit of escapism. She based herself for some time in Dornoch up here in the north of Scotland. I think at least two of her books were made into TV films.

travelsafar Wed 10-Jun-20 09:28:07

jacq10 you are right, i have seen The ShellSeekers and Coming Home. Joanna Lumley was in that one and i adored both of them. Pure escapism.smile

Riverwalk Wed 10-Jun-20 10:14:03

I hope the OP has finished her book by now - she started this thread eight years ago! grin

momat Tue 28-Jul-20 05:59:34

Hilary Bailey's Black Diamonds: The Rise and Fall of an English Dynasty

momat Tue 28-Jul-20 07:52:24

Sorry ,Wrong Bailey.Should be Catherine.

callgirl1 Tue 28-Jul-20 21:58:24

I`ve just finished Down the Darkest Road, by Tami Hoag, very good, great story. Am just about to start Hidden Killers, by Lynda la Plante.

Anne107 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:29:19

The Myth of Race by Robert Sussman

Hellogirl1 Mon 10-Aug-20 16:52:26

Unsolved, by James Patterson and David Ellis, was a brilliant read.

Nortsat Mon 10-Aug-20 17:54:34

Difficult Women by Helen Lewis.
A ‘lockdown’ present from my partner...