Gransnet forums

Chat

Is Gatsby the perfect short novel?

(18 Posts)
granjura Wed 17-Oct-12 17:07:57

Our dog was found on the streets and has had a very hard life - and she is called Gatsby - for reasons stated here smile

Riverwalk Wed 17-Oct-12 14:49:32

Jeni the sunshine doesn't come much brighter than that in New Mexico and it was very readable!

But as I said it was about a third of the price of an IPad and doesn't have so many functions, so am assuming it wouldn't be worth you getting one.

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:48:53

Thanks for that riverwalk I will pop one on my Christmas list (some hope). It would be ideal for me as not bothered about the camera really. I already have a perfectly good one.

Like jeni asked earlier can you still read it in bright sunlight like the original Kindle? I know the ipad is no good in the sun.

absentgrana Wed 17-Oct-12 14:46:38

terms not term.

absentgrana Wed 17-Oct-12 14:46:19

Webster Why are different copyright term ironic?

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 14:43:00

My son calls me gadget womanblush

Riverwalk Wed 17-Oct-12 14:42:04

Gilly I bought the Kindle Fire when I was in the US - it's a sort of poor girls' IPad. But I think it was about a third of the price.

I found it extremely useful as it has Web access so I could get online for email, free newspapers and most importantly Radio 4! You can also get games, music etc., but no camera.

Any books that you've downloaded on to your old Kindle automatically appear on the Kindle Fire.

For the price I paid in the US, I'm very pleased with it.

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:38:48

Ooooh get you jeni Ipad 3 ? envy I am sensing a pattern here.

glassortwo Wed 17-Oct-12 14:36:00

river envy I downloaded Gatsby in March to re read it but I have reams of others and I keep looking at it and think I will read it next, one of these days!!!

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 14:32:46

Is it readable in bright sunshine and is there any point in having a kindle fire as well as an ipad3?

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:23:20

Ooooh get you Riverwalk Kindle Fire. I am so jealous ! envy Seriously is it worth upgrading from the bog-standard Kindle?

Riverwalk Wed 17-Oct-12 14:20:06

I'm embarrassed to admit that I read 'The Great Gatsby' for the first time only this summer - downloaded on to my Kindle Fire for next to nothing.

I loved it.

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 14:14:19

Came 48 in the Observers 100 Greatest Novels of All Time. Don Quixote came first.

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:11:14

Just downloaded The Great Gatsby to my kindle this week webster

Daman Wed 17-Oct-12 14:07:04

The best novel list, of any length, must include 'Wise Children'

glassortwo Sat 31-Mar-12 09:08:17

Thanks webster its a long time since I read this, so I have just downloaded it.

Ariadne Sat 31-Mar-12 06:07:38

Have you tried Kent Haruf - "Eventide", "Plainsong" for example. His prose is pared down and beautiful. "Gatsby" has a place of its own, of course, but it's always been an examination favourite so maybe (I'm a retired English teacher) I'm a bit fed up with it.

Webster Sat 31-Mar-12 01:58:59

Just heard that The Great Gatsby has dropped out of copyright in the UK - so it's already available on Kindle for next to nothing (Click here). Still 25 years to go in the USA - ironic, I think.

It's almost the perfect short novel, I've always thought. Any alternative suggestions?