Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, I hope London bus drivers mend their ways before the Olympics!

(7 Posts)
wotsamashedupjingl Sat 31-Mar-12 19:32:12

Daughter in London today having met up with friends from Belgium and Germany. A bus driver actualy shouted at one of them because she didn't realise you had to have the correct change ready. And he really didn't want to put the ramp out in Trafalgar Square for the one in a wheelchair!

Only in England. Or are they the same everywhere. hmm

absentgrana Sat 31-Mar-12 22:19:38

Not even the same outside London. Where I live in the North-east, the bus drivers are almnost all courteous and helpful

glammanana Sat 31-Mar-12 23:15:24

The guys who drive our local bus (it runs around the roads which are very narrow and the big buses don't go there) always stops near the passengers houses so older people don't have to carry shopping too far,they are the most courtious drivers ever.

Annobel Sat 31-Mar-12 23:25:40

Many years ago, I was on a bus in Edinburgh with the boys. I didn't have the right change to tender and there was no indication anywhere of what it should be. A very kind gentleman got up and gave the bus driver the correct fare. I recognised him as a professor of history who was a lecturer at St Andrews in my time, though I didn't study history. I'm sure he was surprised when he received my thank you note.
Last week, I discovered I'd left my bus pass in my other handbag, but the driver just churned out my ticket regardless. Nice man, but kamikaze driver!

MrsJamJam Sun 01-Apr-12 08:12:09

A few days ago, here in our tiny village, an elderly 90+ year old was not out at the bus stop for our only weekly bus, so the bus driver went with another passenger, into the house, found her collapsed, phoned the ambulance and the whole bus waited until the paramedics came and took charge!

Might not work in London!!!!

Annobel Sun 01-Apr-12 10:03:33

A lovely story MrsJJ. I hope the old lady was OK. In Christchurch NZ I have often seen bus drivers help mums with buggies get onto the bus.

gracesmum Sun 01-Apr-12 13:27:14

On Mother's day I was heading to the National Theatre from Euston on a 168 and the bus driver couldn't have been nicer. He showed endless patience to 3 Spanish tourists who had no idea of where they wanted to go or how to get there - got out the map, found another passenger who sopke a bit of Spanish and when they got out one stop too soon, called them back and let them on again. He teased some youngish parents about the Dad's skill at steering the buggy and then congratulated the mum on her first Mother's Day, giving them a cheery wave after they got off and the bus passed them further down the road.
Absolutely brightened everybody's day!