Gransnet forums

Chat

Ann Widdecombe webchat 14 June 1.30-2.30pm

(109 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 13:41:51

We're delighted that Ann Widdecombe is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 14 June. A former Minister in the Home Office, as well as Shadow Health and Home Secretary, Ann is the author of four novels and a star (many would say the star) of Strictly Come Dancing. Latterly she has taken to panto, appearing last year and next opposite Craig Revel Horwood. From the serious business of prisons, for which she was responsible, to the rather less serious business of sequins, she will be happy to answer our questions.

whenim64 Thu 14-Jun-12 23:22:07

I quite like AW but her politics are anathema to me. She has some rather blinkered views about capital punishment and women's equality. She is adept at avoiding anything she doesn't want to answer.

Yes, Greatnan will probably have a few remarks to contribute when she sees this thread (that's if she doesn't blow a gasket first!) grin

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 23:07:38

"They are not part of the apostolic succession and have never been so" (women priests).

I don't think that's gonna be too well received by Greatnan.

Not a particularly brain taxing answer.

POGS Thu 14-Jun-12 19:45:35

Well done Anne,

You took on some questions that were extremely difficult and possibly out to embarrass. You answered with honesty, nothing more than I would have expected from you.

mrsmopp Thu 14-Jun-12 14:53:05

Ann, what is your view on women bishops?

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 14:45:35

Didn't mean to take any work home with her did she?

Phew! I'm puffed out just reading it!

whenim64 Thu 14-Jun-12 14:37:30

Crikey! Has she gone.....? grin

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:32:25

Thank you. I enjoyed our chat. I'm off now to get my nails done!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Jun-12 14:32:15

Thank you so much to Ann for getting through so many questions and being so interesting.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:31:36

paradisemerton

Hello Ann

Do you think Germany is achieving by stealth and economic pressure what it failed to do in two World Wars, ie total domination and control of Europe?

Certainly Germany and France are the major forces holding the Euro together, but, interestingly, if their people were given a referendum, they might express the same disenchantment with Europe as we probably would.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:29:39

Gran7

Hello Anne
I just want to say that you would have made the perfect successor to Margeret Thatcher. You really should have been Prime Minister. Love your outspokenness and common sense.
Good luck in all you do.
Gran7

Hear, hear!

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:28:27

rosiemus

these days do you still mix with the great and the good (if indeed politicians can be classed as great or good) or have you stepped away from all that?

Yes, I still mingle with senior politicians from time to time, I have met the Pope, who is certainly the great and the good. These days I meet a lot of people in showbusiness.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:27:30

fridaygran

How does being a novelist compare with being a politician? Which job do you prefer?

If you are a politician you deal in reality, and if you are a novelist, you just make it up! If I had to make a choice, I would always choose politics, but I'm very glad that I can do both.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:26:17

Katalogue

If you could highlight one social issue that needs addressing, what would it be?

Abortion. More than 7 million unborn children have been killed since the passing of the 1967 act. More than 90% of these are not for serious reasons such as rape or serious handicap or danger to the mother.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:24:55

Icabodisitchy

Presumably you are opposed to gay marriage? What would you say to a mother like me, whose son would desperately like to marry his partner and who feels that he should have the same rights as her daughter.

I can never understand why the very people who support marriage as a source of social stability would wish to deny this to one group. Surely it would be better to include gay men and women (where they want to be included) then to push them out into the cold?

I would say that your son would not gain anything from civil marriage that he does not already have in a civil partnership. But under the proposals, your daughter would lose the right to describe herself, legally, as a wife.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:23:28

j04

Hello Ann.

A few years back the government and the Beeb were trying desperately to get us all online.

As you were in government then (or at least in the other lot) could you tell me why this was? And do you think it such a good thing after all?

I am thinking of, for example, online gaming with the trials and tribulations, not to mention mindless time wasting, that that involves. And forums, such as this one and its sister site Mumsnet, where we do spend a lot of time talking to virtual 'friends', sometimes to the detriment of other things, like reading, hobbies, and family interaction. I think, with that latter example, it is more worrying perhaps with Mumsnet, where maybe children could be time deprived.

Do you ever read Mumsnet. Does it worry you?

No I don't read any social media. I am not on Twitter or Facebook or anything else. That is not an objection to modern technology, because I was one of the first MPs to have a website www.annwiddecombe.com (WiddyWeb). But I do find endless commentary on endless trivia a waste of time. If ever you see me on Twitter or Facebook, it will be an impostor. I did once try Facebook, and I once twittered for a television programme, but abandoned both at the earliest opportunity.

I did, however, respond to comments on the Strictly Come Dancing fansite.

Katalogue Thu 14-Jun-12 14:22:15

If you could highlight one social issue that needs addressing, what would it be?

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:20:22

effblinder

I wanted to ask about your programme on Girl gangs. I just wanted to know if there was anything you noticed that could smooth the relations across boundaries like wealth, gender, age etc?

I sometimes feel like I must have things in common with people who have very different lifestyles to me, but I have difficulty working out what they might be. I always thought you did that quite well on that show.
(sorry. bit rambly...)

I'm afraid the psychology of girl gangs is horribly complex. Probably isn't susceptible to any very simple resolution. Family support and structures, or rather the absence of them, play a tremendous role as gangs become substitute families.

rosiemus Thu 14-Jun-12 14:19:59

these days do you still mix with the great and the good (if indeed politicians can be classed as great or good) or have you stepped away from all that?

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:18:56

j04

Also, what form of exercise do you favour make yourself do, now the dancing is behind you?

I never make myself do anything. Very bad idea. I do what I enjoy, which is gently ambling over Dartmoor, gently swimming and absolutely running a mile at the sight of a gym.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:17:45

northerngran

People seem very keen to discuss your personal life in detail. Does this offend/upset you?

There are certain questions I refuse to answer, but I have spent long enough in public life to let it roll off like water on a duck's back.

Icabodisitchy Thu 14-Jun-12 14:17:36

Presumably you are opposed to gay marriage? What would you say to a mother like me, whose son would desperately like to marry his partner and who feels that he should have the same rights as her daughter.

I can never understand why the very people who support marriage as a source of social stability would wish to deny this to one group. Surely it would be better to include gay men and women (where they want to be included) then to push them out into the cold?

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:16:46

Elephantgran

Do you think virginity is underrated?

Yes.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:16:25

wiseold

What do you think of British celebrity culture?

That it has gone a bit too far, and is promoting celebrity for the sake of celebrity, rather than for the sake of achievement.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 14:15:25

flyingsaucy

Do you think you have softened since you left parliament? You have changed from being quite a scary person to a sort of national treasure. Are you happy about that?

No I am the same person. Everybody has more than one side to them, but what you see is what the press and media determine and at the moment, they are in humorous mood!

Who could possibly object to being a national treasure? My only problem is that treasure trove belongs to the State.

northerngran Thu 14-Jun-12 14:13:19

People seem very keen to discuss your personal life in detail. Does this offend/upset you?