Gransnet forums

Chat

Losing a Loved one

(33 Posts)
helshea Wed 04-Jul-12 07:13:08

Hard to put into words all I am thinking at the moment, my father died yesterday and all I can think about now is making sure his funeral goes well and he is remembered the way he deserves. I need help on what to have sait at his funeral (although i myself will not be up to it) and firstly what to put in the paper from my mum myself and his grandchildren? Also what hymns poems etc. I just need to make sure its the best it can be!

helshea Sun 08-Jul-12 18:51:00

Thanks everyone :-(

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 19:01:53

Sorry for your sad loss helshea

I am sure the service will be a mixture of sadness for the loss and happiness in remembering lovely things about him.
Sometimes it is good to have an uplifting piece of music at the very end that will remind people of your dad.. a favourite song maybe? Recently a friend chose 'Shall we dance' as it reminded us all of how her mum loved dancing.

bikergran Sun 08-Jul-12 19:51:35

take care helshea hope all goes ok for you.

flowerfriend Sun 08-Jul-12 20:06:11

helshea Going through all the formalites and thinking what your father would have wanted said all - eventually - helps with the grieving process. Don't rush. Breathe deeply. Drink plenty of water.

Please accept my deepest sympathy.

gracesmum Sun 08-Jul-12 21:33:23

Every sympathy Helshea - not an easy time for you but as others have said, do what you feel is right - cry, remember, laugh and celebrate his life, look at his GC and know how proud he must have been of them. There is a lovely passage from the very end of C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle which DD read at MIL's funeral 12 years ago, if you know it. I also particularly like Robert Burn's "An honest man here lies at rest" which I read at my father's funeral 11 years ago which seemed apt. Phoenix's poem is lovely. Whatever you choose- his was a life to be celebrated and rememberd with love and joy as well as sadness. flowers

Hunt Thu 12-Jul-12 23:36:58

Helshea, I couldn't bear to go shopping when my darling Dad died. I wanted to go up to all the happy people and say,'Stop laughing , my Dad has just died. We all wore pretty floral dresses because that was what he asked for. My sister made an apple pie and I made bread and butter pudding for after the service because those were his favourites. Do hope you manage to make the occasion memorable for you personally.

HarveyHunnicut Sat 21-Sep-19 13:17:16

Hi everyone, I'm happy to be her. I'm a leading manager at writing company thesisleader.com/dissertation-writing-service/. I'm interested in learning new things. Also, I like collecting memories from countless trips in photo-shoots. My girlfriend says that the camera is my third eye.