Gransnet forums

Chat

Cruising

(30 Posts)
jeni Fri 24-Aug-12 21:39:02

I've allways wanted to see the aurora borealis!
I'm thinking of booking a cruise in jan/feb to see them?
It's not a 'posh ship' and I can get a single cabin!
I just wondered if any of you also shared my desire to see them before we're too old?

Greatnan Fri 24-Aug-12 21:44:15

Yes, but I think I will have to wait to see the Aurora Australis!

Anne58 Fri 24-Aug-12 21:47:09

Oh jeni , that sounds lovely! I would really be keen to see such a phenomenon, although I think that on some of these trips, there is no guarantee that you will actually see them?

petallus Fri 24-Aug-12 21:51:51

When I was in Iceland some years ago we went out one day on a trip to see the Aurora Borealis but it didn't materialise.

I've heard it's beautiful.

jeni Fri 24-Aug-12 21:56:40

No , no guarantee. But next year is supposed to be a high incidence according to aurora watch,
I'm going any way. I just wondered if anyone would like to share? Otherwise I'll just book a single?
I think I can fly fom Bristol.
The one I'm looking at is
Hurtigruten on jan 14. 2013
It might be nice if some of us wanted,to go?
Perhaps then we could negotiate a group discount?

jeni Fri 24-Aug-12 22:33:16

This is Norway like Cunard!
It's all informal.
No choice on meals I,gather
S
Sounds very basic to me ! I know I'm sybaritic !

But I REALLY want to see the aurora before I die

jeni Fri 24-Aug-12 22:35:14

Should read!
NOT LIKE CUNARD !

Granny23 Sat 25-Aug-12 00:56:13

I have seen the aurora here in Central Scotland. I was driving home late on a clear cold night and when I turned off the motorway there was all this light jigging about behind the Ochil Hills. Stopped the car and watched for a bit then rushed home to send DH out to see them. It reminded me of the Dancing Waters.

Certainly an interesting phenomenom but not exactly lifechanging. Personally, I would not go on an expensive cruise on the off chance of seeing them again but don't let me put a damper on your plans!

Greatnan Sat 25-Aug-12 07:49:17

She is just looking for an excuse for more cruising!

Barrow Sat 25-Aug-12 08:25:05

Hi jeni This does sound interesting - could you post a few more details - length, rough idea of cost etc. or which website you found this on.

harrigran Sat 25-Aug-12 11:28:39

Aurora has been good this year, DS has photographed it several times in the north of England. He is in Iceland at present and sent a message to say he is seeing wonderful displays, a great bonus, he was not expecting to see anything this trip.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 12:20:31

Google Hurtigruten
It tells you all about them!

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 13:09:05

I notice their is another line who run the ocean countess and marco polo who also do cruises. They have one going from Avonmouth in march.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 13:15:16

In fact, I think that is the one I'll probably go for! It's 14days and a little more pricey but what Jo!

HildaW Sat 25-Aug-12 16:07:55

We are doing an Aurora cruise with Saga.....no idea what I am letting myself in for tho - was husband's idea and as I'm sick of flying and all that entails, I went along.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 16:44:22

When are you going?

HildaW Sat 25-Aug-12 20:11:33

Next spring - March.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 20:13:11

I've just looked at that one! Looks quite nice!

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 20:36:31

Ii fancy a suite!

AlisonMA Sun 26-Aug-12 10:27:15

I've never been on a cruise, anyone got a good suggestion for a first timer who gets travel sick?

HildaW Sun 26-Aug-12 13:00:41

I am going on my first one in a couple of weeks AlisonMA..so say these boats are 'stabilised' but am taking something with me just in case. I get car 'queasy' not really sick but so far only a really rough crossing on one of those channel 'Seacats' made me unwell. Am hoping the time I was on the ferry to Spain and was really ill was more about stress related migraine because once it was over I ate a hearty breakfast. Oh lor lets be honest, I'm really not sure how I'm going to be.............ask me again in 4 weeks time!

AlisonMA Sun 26-Aug-12 13:12:21

Hilda I look forward to hearing how you got on.

We may well be crossing the Irish Sea in a few weeks so that may be enough to put me off forever!

HildaW Sun 26-Aug-12 14:27:56

AlisonMA, will let you know, hope your trip is nice and smooth.

jeni Sun 26-Aug-12 14:49:03

Med in high summer in a big boat. They don't move so much, also get a cabin low down in the ship and mid ships. There is the least movement there!

Stansgran Sun 26-Aug-12 14:57:09

Pick a cabin dead centre of the ship AlisonMA *and *HildaW even if it means no view and you can have breakfast while the top deck verandah inmates are still green and abed at lunch time. it's seeing the horizon go upsy downsy that's upsetting.