Gransnet forums

Chat

I think Gransnetters should stop going on about trolls.

(51 Posts)
JO4 Sat 25-Aug-12 12:20:25

I think it is very rare to get a troll on Gransnet. In fact I can only remember one, and that was quite obviously a schoolkid. I think it was at the start of the summer holidays last year.

No one can really ever prove that they haven't name changed to post something controversial, but I DOUBT IT HAPPENS! Most Gn's would be quite comfortable to say whatever under their usual name.

I think the post that was deleted the other day was more likely to have been a lurker who suddenly decided to say what they think.

Stop being so flippin' suspicious of other people, hmm

AlisonMA Sat 25-Aug-12 13:00:41

I agree with you JO4 I think it should have been left to run its course as it was not at all controversial.

Bags Sat 25-Aug-12 13:08:14

Where is this talk of trolls? I don't remember seeing it.

Mamie Sat 25-Aug-12 13:18:39

I think Alison questioned whether trolls would start a debate on a forum to be controversial (or something similar) and I replied that that is exactly what trolls do. As I hadn't seen the posts in question I couldn't and didn't comment on whether I thought it was or wasn't a troll in the deleted thread. GNHQ then stepped in with their explanation of trolls. That is all I have seen on the subject.

petallus Sat 25-Aug-12 13:18:50

I'm not bothered about trolls one way or the other.

I agree with JO4 that we rarely, if ever, have trolls on GN and the deleted post was probablyby someone who had been monitoring our posts and then was sufficiently moved to make a comment.

Tee hee! HQ didn't exactly achieve a lot by deleting that post since we have all discussed it at length.

Nanadogsbody Sat 25-Aug-12 13:48:41

I feel like bursting into song

"There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow......"

hmm Anyone care to join in???

petallus Sat 25-Aug-12 14:08:11

How mysterious you are being Nanadogsbody.

Are you a Star Trek fan?

Annobel Sat 25-Aug-12 14:20:00

Just loading the photon torpedos, nanadog. Live long and prosper!

Barrow Sat 25-Aug-12 14:29:10

I think any trolls on here would soon get short shrift from the members! I think we are all old enough and sensible enough to deal with them. Although I can understand GNHQ pulling a thread they think is offensive

Notsogrand Sat 25-Aug-12 14:30:07

It worse than that.........!!

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 14:41:30

It's life Spock,but not as we know it!

Nanadogsbody Sat 25-Aug-12 14:46:32

May the power go with you! Trolls, Klingons, beware. We GNetters have you in our sights. Warp speed 10 Spock.

supercoolmoss Sat 25-Aug-12 14:53:33

Are you still going forward with this or have you managed to find reverse?

JessM Sat 25-Aug-12 14:53:54

Sam Vimes finds trolls are very useful members of the Ankh Morpork Guard I seem to recall. Might be a bit slow thinking but it is a brave member of the underworld that tackles one head on. I love the way they have geological names.

Annobel Sat 25-Aug-12 14:53:57

Aye, aye captain.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 14:56:16

I used to troll for seabass!

Nanadogsbody Sat 25-Aug-12 14:56:53

Onward and forward everyone we are not for turning. supercool.... hey weren't you in another 'camp' just a minute ago?

supercoolmoss Sat 25-Aug-12 14:57:40

Is that the Ankh-Morpork Palace Guard or the Ankh-Morpork City Guard?

supercoolmoss Sat 25-Aug-12 15:00:55

I am trying various camps Nanad......

susiecb Sat 25-Aug-12 15:04:12

How about 'I'm a troll fol-de-rol' or is it only me who thinks of this?

Nanadogsbody Sat 25-Aug-12 15:14:06

We welcome Ankh-morporks, fol-de-rollers, campers and all who come in peace. But I draws the line at seabass; they won't keep very well on an inter-galactic journey. Now where's my hitch-hikers guide?

AlisonMA Sat 25-Aug-12 15:43:12

Ah Nana roll on holiday as I have that on tape. I never liked it on TV but loved the film a few years ago. Must be about 42 days until we go!

JessM Sat 25-Aug-12 15:44:37

City guard was Sam's remit.
Vetinari had his subtler forms of protection. Bureacracy. A raised eyebrow and a veiled threat. The knowledge that his origins lay with the assassin's guild.
Loved Sam's inclusive workforce with not only trolls but a female were-wolf and a large chap with a "dwarf identity". Sam Vimes for Chief of Police please, if we have to have elected ones (daft american idea methinks - where has it got THEM) ANd Vetinari for dictator. grin

Annobel Sat 25-Aug-12 15:55:06

What is she on about?

kittylester Sat 25-Aug-12 15:59:43

I'm with you susie. I'm definitely not with them others!! Could we nominate someone to be the big Billy Goat to see off the troll?