Gransnet forums

Chat

The generous generation?

(15 Posts)
MargaretX Sat 22-Sep-12 20:56:51

I know a young doctor who works for Medicine sans Frontieres. She works a month at a time perhaps in Pakistan or Romania and then comes home where a hospital lets her work part time. It needs a lot of flexibility on both sides. They can't live from working in crisis areas and have to have a proper 'doctor' job at home where they can be a doctor and keep up with the latest research.
I think they are worth a donation, and know from my children that they are supported by young people.

Ana Sat 22-Sep-12 16:34:53

I do think the trend among young people is to actually do something for charity, or sponsor such activities, rather than donate directly. I don't suppose many of them have enough spare cash to give regular amounts.

glitabo Sat 22-Sep-12 11:30:36

You are right to be proud of him.sunshine

Nanadogsbody Sat 22-Sep-12 11:16:05

I'm NOT pasting this I order to raise money as the race has already been run. I'm just showing one example of how our young people choose to raise money for charity. My son is the slightly smaller one of the two if you are looking at the photos. I am very proud of what he and his friend achieved but he is just one of many wonderful young people out there.

www.justgiving.com/StuAndChrisRunTheWall

Littlenellie Sat 22-Sep-12 10:27:22

I have a payment going to local air ambulance each month ,we cannot affOrd more,but in the times I haven't had paid employment have done voluntary work,with organisations supporting families and children.
I always try to support women's refuges where possiblexx

Nanadogsbody Sat 22-Sep-12 10:24:01

My son and his friend ran 'The Wall' in appalling weather. It took them two days and they raised almost £3000 for FSIDS. Almost all of the runners were supporting charities and almost all were 'young'. sooks son has just abseiled down some huge building, again to raise money. Look at the runners in the various marathons and half marathon.

I think the charities will be safe in the hands of the next generation especially with the advent of sites like Just Giving.

Greatnan Sat 22-Sep-12 10:11:43

I was very much involved in various activities when my girls were growing up - PTAs, Guide committee, Riding Club committee, etc. One of them is a very responsible citizen, was a governor of her children's school and now devotes several afternoons a week to volunteering at Riding for the Disabled. Her children have spent time helping children with learning difficulties and now the younger two also help at RfD.
I am afraid her sister has never done any kind of voluntary work, even though she has not had a job, but her son spent three months volunteering in Tanzania (monitoring the effect of the tsunami on coral reefs, and also building a school) and her oldest daughter helps at her little girls' playgroup.

I do agree that children probably learn by example and discussion at home.

I am quite wary about the management of some large charities, having studied their accounts, but I like Medicine Sans Frontieres - I also find they don't pursue me relentlessly for additional donations.

absentgrana Sat 22-Sep-12 10:03:13

I wouldn't mind betting that the sons and daughters of those Gransnetters who donate to charities also donate. Maybe to different charities. Absentdaughter told me that she sponsored a child in Africa because she knew that I always selected one children's charity among my direct debit charitable giving each year. No doubt, her children will also learn by example.

Butternut Fri 21-Sep-12 17:56:19

I think there is an abundance of young and thoughtful young people who will do as they do for the future, and my hope is that successive generations will develop and evolve their own way of helping others. It may be different, but then their world will be different and we will be long gone. Adherence to past norms may hinder and I'd celebrate new and innovative ways of addressing this if I was around long enough to see it happen.

MargaretX Fri 21-Sep-12 17:19:19

I think that younger people do believe that the state should look after the population and those who need extra help.
As for whitewave she makes me feel guilty. I don't support anything like so many charities.
I started one monthly and got monthly letter written on thick parchment writing paper and don't like to think my money went on such things. An email would do the job.

Our generation will be missed by more than the charities in 10 year's time. Ever noticed what the audiences of classical concerts is like? One grey head after another. In the German Bridge association, the average age for men is 65 and for women 70. There are simply no new members coming forward. It's the same with volunteering, but an exception is, that the middle generation do involve themselves more in sport and school activitites.

RINKY Fri 21-Sep-12 15:49:39

Great story on the starfish. That's how I feel about things. Do what you can with the little you have and target small charities who have their feet on the ground. Always give everything I can to charities rather than sell it as feel that helps a bit more and don't feel I have lost out on anything by giving more money

Ariadne Fri 21-Sep-12 15:22:56

It's what you have to do, whitewave! I have come out of international conferences almost with compassion fatigue, a sort of awareness of how much need there is, and how one cannot address everything, but knowing one must do something.

It is the starfish principle. (Forgive me if you know the story)

A man is walking along a beach, where hundreds of starfish have been washed up after a storm. He sees a local man picking up starfish one by one and throwing each one back into the sea.

"Why on earth are you doing that?" he asks. "It won't make a scrap of difference."

The local man replies "It will to that starfish."

whitewave Fri 21-Sep-12 15:07:10

Some years ago I decided which charitites I want to support - children UK and overseas - got my donations sorted monthly and that was that , any spare still goes to them. So I don't feel embarressed guilty etc. when turning down other requests. If I feel I want to give to something else I still do but always under my own steam as it were. Mind you I do think Medicine without Borders are good and others but I can't stretch it all too thinly so opted for what I did.

glassortwo Fri 21-Sep-12 08:05:23

Yes there is an ever growing shortfall left by the Government........ and as we have seen on the other thread a good amount collected by harassment on the phone by Agencies employed by the Charities. Is it that the under 30 are more able to refuse when pressured on the telephone!

Greatnan Fri 21-Sep-12 07:19:04

Over half of charitable donations in the UK come from the over-60s and giving amonst the under-30's is dropping. This is not really surprising, considering the amount of NEETS and the cost of higher education, and the virtual impossibility of getting on the housing ladder. Unless things improve drastically, it bodes ill for the future of some charities. It is suggested that they target young people more.
I wonder if it could also be partly due to the view that many things now done by charities ought to be done by the government?